Port talbot steelworks railway

I am putting together a list of the locos that were on the internal railway at Port Talbot steelworks (BSC, SCOW, Tata etc). I have loads of photos but need dimensions to produce scale drawings of my own. Please can anyone help with dimensions, dimensioned sketches or scale drawings, I've got info on the Trojan locos. 

Many thanks

Paul 

Not actually for modelling per say, gathering an archive that may develop in a book/booklet in conjunction with the Industrial Railway Society ( they heve not been approached yet, depends on how much info I can put together). I have written on the industrial narrow gauge of Guinness, Dublin and Somerset Peat is with the publishers now. 

• Like 1

Mark

Thanks, I am familiar with the IRS books, have got their West Glamorgan handbook with the early stuff at PT, also their updates to the book, they list numbers an identifications. 

I have quite a library of loco photos but little in way of dimers ions to be able to produce drawings from. 

Regards Paul 

Hi there are line drawings of the Alco S1 switchers freely available on the interweb. I have a side elevation of the Brush-Bagnall Bo-Bo's in 'Bagnall Locomotives' by Allan Baker and T.D. Allen Civil, which it wouldn't be appropriate to post on line but I could PM you a scan if required?

• Thanks 1

Paul,

As far as I can tell, the following locos have been used at the Margam / Port Talbot / Abbey Works complex, post-steam:

1) Brush Bagnall 0-4-0 Diesel Electric locos, numbered in the 5xx series. 

2) Ruston 165hp 0-4-0 Diesel Mechanical locos, numbered in the 6xx series.  These locos were used on construction of the Abbey Works and subseuqently on general shunting duties.  Appear to be a standard Ruston product.

3) Brush 0-6-0 Diesel Electric locos, numbered in the 7xx series.  These weren't overly successful due to their long wheelbase vs the tight curves at the works.

4) Alco Bo-Bo Diesel Electric locos, numbered in the 8xx series.  Bought "off the shelf" from Alco as nothing suitable was available from British builders.  Survived into the 1980s.

5) Brush Bagnall Bo-Bo Diesel electric locos, numbered in the 9xx and 95x series.  The 9xx locos had 515 hp Mirlees engines, and were later re-engined with Rolls-Royce DV8 units, necessitating some modifications to the bodysides to accommodate the V engine.  The 95x locos were built with 660 hp supercharged Mirlees engines, and were withdrawn by the end of the 80s.   All of these locos were built in a number of batches, and there are a multitude of detail differences both between batches as built, and due to subsequent modifications over the years.

6) Barclay rebuilds of three of the Brush Bagnall 9xx locos (907, 908, 909) from the frames up.  These were fitted with (I think) Caterpillar engines, and had completely new bodywork fitted. They were renumbered as 07, 08 and 09.

7) Trojan Bo Bo locomotives, built by Corus Northern Engineering Services in 2009/10.  Relatively quickly, their cabs and control desks were rebuilt by LH Group / Hunslet.

8) Clayton Equipment Bo Bo hybrid locomotives - battery powered but fitted with a small diesel engine for charging purposes. Introduced over the last year.

9) GEC 6wh diesels - hired in within the last few years. I know no more about these other than having seen them at the works.

Of the above, I have drawings of the Brush Bagnall 0-4-0s, Brush Bagnall Bo-Bos, Alcos and Trojans (as built) - if they're of any use let me know.

In terms of steam locos, I'm aware of the following:

1) Bagnall 0-4-0 saddle tank locos, acquired between 1934 and 194, numbered 101-105

2) Barclay 14" 0-4-0 saddle tank locos, acquired between 1901 and 1935, mainly used on Port Talbot works (the original one, not what is now referred to as the Port Talbot Works) duties in the melting shop.  Numbered 201-208

3) Avonside 0-4-0 saddle tank locos, delivered in 1919, numbered in the 3xx series.

4) Bagnall 0-6-0 saddle tank locos, delivered in 1951 (withdrawn in 1957).  Numbered 401-403.  When Abbey Works was built, the decision was made to use diesel traction from the start, but the Port Talbot and Margam works continued with steam traction initially.  These locos were built in 1951 to cope with increased tonnages of hot metal from new blast furnaces at Margam, and incorporated what was then "best practice" in loco design - e.g. self-cleaning smokeboxes, rocker grates, hopper ashpans and rolling bearings in coupling rods etc. Withdrawn when the decision was made to dieselise across the SCoW works around Port Talbot.

Thanks

Alastair

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Alastair 

I have drawings of the Brush Bagnall Bo Bo and Trojan thanks, but would appreciate the B B 0-4-0 and Alco. 

I gave a link in my earlier messages if you want to send them privately. 

Many thanks

Paul 

On 21/07/2020 at 13:34, clarkea1 said:

9) GEC 6wh diesels - hired in within the last few years. I know no more about these other than having seen them at the works

Presumably the ex Teesside Works (BSC / Corus / SSI) ones bought by Ed Murray (Hartlepool).

• Like 1

On 29/07/2020 at 21:23, Busmansholiday said:

Presumably the ex Teesside Works (BSC / Corus / SSI) ones bought by Ed Murray (Hartlepool).

261 "Staithes" GECT 5430/1977 and 268 "Kirkleatham" GECT 5465/1978 were at Margam / Port Talbot earlier this year.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 21/11/2020 at 19:47, Paul Webb said:

Does any of our readers have any photos of the Ruston Hornsby at Port Talbot please, they were numbers 601 602 and 603.

Paul, there's some photos of them in this advert, from "A Technical Survery of the Steel Company of Wales Limited" published in 1952.

img658.jpg

• Like 1

Evening,

if it’s any use to you I work on Bagnall 401 and pretty much rebuilt it from the ground up over the last couple of years, some original paint left on it from the SCOW days and some drawings from Bagnalls when it was built.  Feel free to message privately.