Modifying RTR Engineers AB Wagons OMWB

I don't often do OMWB sort of posts. When I potter away at the workbench I usually forget to document anything. 

And then all of a sudden I've something I think That'll do! or something gets launched in the bin.

This started with trying to improve on the FTG SPA, then I decided to do my improvements to Bachmann wagons and throw in a few kit builts.

SPA Mods

Cut underframe in half length ways and reduce width to fit Bill Bedford W-Irons.

Replace the ON brake levers with OFF brake levers from Cambrian ZCA Kit.

Modify Spring Hnagers and fit new 26mm axles and brake discs.

Replacement buffers and screw couplings.

Convert to ZAA Pike and get filthy

4.jpg

1 ZAA RF1.jpg

2 ZAA RF2.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• westie7 changed the title to Modifying RTR Engineers AB Wagons OMWB

ZAA #2

I bought two of these, 

even with modifying the underframe it still had a lot of work to do, Springs for example!

So with this next one I used an underframe from a broken Bachmann wagon as a donor.

This is waiting for Transfers, Screw Couplings, Chivers hooded axleboxes, Wheels.

W.I.P.

6 ZAA DCE.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

8 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

When cutting longitudinally, do you knife or saw?

Mike.

I scored with a blade then used a small saw for thick sections, also a Tamiya panel scriber can be accurate for long straight cuts, follows the score cleanly.

Mark 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

ZDA #2

Fully stripped and a respray, preshaded with black then various layers, thicknesses and variation on the airbrush for effect.

Metalwork picked out in steel and gunmetal, and some post shading too.

The BB etches are currently drying having been sprayed black.

Transfers, couplings suspension and wheels to go.

5 ZDA DCE2.jpg

4 ZDA DCE1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

ZCA Sea Horse Cambrian

This built together quite poorly. It was brittle off the sprue Dry fit wasn't too great either.

I've started to beef up the ribs on the sides of the solebars as can be seen in the second pic, white evergreen. As per this link to Martyn Reads Site

https://ukrailwaypics.smugmug.com/UKRailRollingstock/Z-Tops-codes/ZCA/ZCA-Seahorse/

Upgrading the buffers on the ZCA.
I have some 51L Oleo sprung buffers but with the 16" head.
Also in the spares box are 51L 18" heads, not quite a straight swap as the shank is thinner on the 18" head. Sorted with a short length of tube 1.3 od x 1.1 id, works a treat even if the wrong colour.
Once the buffer body is painted this will look better.

BB W-Irons, S-Kits Spring/axleboxes casting, Alan Gibson wheels with integral brake discs.

9 ZCA1.jpg

10 ZCA2.jpg

11 ZCA Buffer.jpg

Edited by westie7
  • Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

ZCA Sea Urchin S-kits

My First attempt at a resin.

Didn't need much cleaning up of flash but after careful cleaning there are still a few bits of flaky paint.

Masking the yellow took ages but once done any blemishes were disguised under rust and weathering

The end castings were incomplete but a bit of surgery and grafts and the missing bits were filled in,

Sprung W-Irons were fitted in place of the compensated ones supplied which required the inside of underneath the solebars filed out to the correct width.

If you do this be careful not to break through to the outside.

7 ZCA sKits1.jpg

8 ZCA sKits2.jpg

IMG_20200709_125808.jpg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

14 hours ago, Departmental203 said:

Wow, Westie, these engineers working are looking amazing! I especially like your painting and weathering effects, portaying faded but not battle-scarred wagons!

I look forward to seeing your progress!

Jules

Cheers Jules

All of them are approaching transfers stage, then loads and dropping in the wheels.

A couple of birthdays here this week so not much progress, but back on it soon.

Mark

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 01/09/2021 at 20:55, Daddyman said:

Are you aware of Stenson Models' products? 

https://www.stensonmodels.co.uk/

I sure am.

I used the etched ladders and walkways for the Metalair PCA, got a bunch more of them to do. Along with BCC ones.

After I get round to finishing these Engineers wagons, I have VGA, VDA and VAA that need doing. That's before I order some FPA prints :laugh_mini:

• Like 1