Rapido is hiring a UK Operations Manager

mdvle

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Funny thing is I fit most of the criteria. But I have a feeling there will be a lot of video conferencing and other techy things. Not my bag I'm afraid. I've only just worked out how the fax machine works....

Jason     (not that one)

You've still got a FAX machine????? :)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Yeah, it's next to the Telex ;-)

Next you'll be telling us you've got one of those phones with

a handle on the side you have to turn to make a call. :)

• Funny 2

16 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

But unlike the fax machine the Telex was fascinating as a young kid - tiny strip of paper with holes creating the dancing print head - or better yet the machine just springing to life for an incoming telex in a way that a modern day silent printer doesn't.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, spamcan61 said:

Correct. Somewhere in the loft.

But there is a fax machine in work and was used regularly until very recently. We didn't have an internet connection so everything had to come through the phone lines and it was the only way to send paperwork from the premises.

Since then the landlords (ASDA) have got their act together and we have Wi-Fi. But it's not great.

Jason

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

Where are you...In the freezer aisle ?       :D

Nah. In one of the retail outlets. But it is a bit like a bunker.

Built in the 1980s but it doesn't really have the facilities and needs a total refurbishment. It also doesn't help that all the customers in ASDA and the other retailers are using the same system. Including a betting shop about three doors down showing the sport on TVs.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, mdvle said:

Not to predict what (if anything) they produce, but I will point out that one of the senior employees at Rapido (Bill) is a GWR modeller/fan so a GNR/LNER focus would seem to be unlikely...

Nothing a bit of brainwashing can't fix ;)

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Funny thing is I fit most of the criteria. But I have a feeling there will be a lot of video conferencing and other techy things. Not my bag I'm afraid. I've only just worked out how the fax machine works....

Jason     (not that one)

Great...you're one step ahead of me! :D

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I wonder who will apply..... and more to the point, what sort of person will get the job!

Simples - you don't have to be mad to work their way but it obviously makes a considerable positive difference to your chances if you are.  But equally I get the impression that in Rapido the ability to do the job properly and efficiently counts for a lot more than that necessary touch of madness.

Edited by The Stationmaster
add word previously omitted
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, rab said:

Next you'll be telling us you've got one of those phones with

a handle on the side you have to turn to make a call. :)

I also still use the charging handle on my phone at home. For more important items, I summon the young chap on his Post Office Safety Bicycle, and dispatch him to the Telegraph office.  

Excuse me, just need to send the scullery maid to avail herself of some more shillings, for the gas meter.....

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Neal Ball said:

I wonder who will apply..... and more to the point, what sort of person will get the job!

No doubt it will be someone who can operate in an  efficacious manner....

Being Canadian-based business, I'd expect a prospective person will have a good ability to either speak, or understand French,with it being a fairly Bilingual country.

Edited by tomparryharry
Yes.

56 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

No doubt it will be someone who can operate in an  efficacious manner....

Being Canadian-based business, I'd expect a prospective person will have a good ability to either speak, or understand French,with it being a fairly Bilingual country.

It's UK-based with Rapido's UK operation. The Canadian HQ of Rapido is in Markham, Ontario, a new town suburb of English-speaking Toronto. There is unlikely to be any need to know a word of French (but your English better be impeccable!). I've been several times and never had to use a word of French. The only time it would have been useful was on the Halifax to Montreal train where the Train Manager deliberately spoke French as soon as he recognised that I was English! (CJL)

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

I also still use the charging handle on my phone at home. For more important items, I summon the young chap on his Post Office Safety Bicycle, and dispatch him to the Telegraph office.  

Excuse me, just need to send the scullery maid to avail herself of some more shillings, for the gas meter.....

You're not Rees Mogg are you?

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, tomparryharry said:

The French language in Quebec is declining, mainly due to Bill 101 which dictated that French has to come first and in some cases dismisses English. The result is that students tend to attend English speaking colleges to further their education and leave the French language behind.

Also it's not French as we know it but a 17th/18th Century version of it. We visited Quebec (which was very nice) and observed a French couple on the same trip trying to converse but looking occasionally puzzled, they then switched to English which annoyed the person they were speaking to as he was trying his hardest not to speak English :D 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

46 minutes ago, chris p bacon said:

The French language in Quebec is declining, mainly due to Bill 101 which dictated that French has to come first and in some cases dismisses English. The result is that students tend to attend English speaking colleges to further their education and leave the French language behind.

Also it's not French as we know it but a 17th/18th Century version of it. We visited Quebec (which was very nice) and observed a French couple on the same trip trying to converse but looking occasionally puzzled, they then switched to English which annoyed the person they were speaking to as he was trying his hardest not to speak English :D 

There's a story - probably apocryphal - that Quebec Province produced a mainstream movie specifically aimed at screenings in France to promote the production of French-language movies in Canada. When it was screened in France, the French had added subtitles! (CJL)

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, dibber25 said:

It's UK-based with Rapido's UK operation. The Canadian HQ of Rapido is in Markham, Ontario, a new town suburb of English-speaking Toronto. There is unlikely to be any need to know a word of French (but your English better be impeccable!). I've been several times and never had to use a word of French. The only time it would have been useful was on the Halifax to Montreal train where the Train Manager deliberately spoke French as soon as he recognised that I was English! (CJL)

The ability to speak a second language is, or would be, a distinct advantage. In addition, your spoken English ought to be impeccable. Better? 

• RMweb Premium

Given Rapido trains are made in China (presumably) then I would say Mandarin Chinese (or whatever the dominant local language is) would be rather more useful than French, if speaking a second language is in some way useful for the role.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

While Canada is officially bilingual, the number of people who can actually speak both languages is small and outside of Quebec and New Brunswick Canada is effectively English only (or at least non-French as a second language).

• Agree 2

On 16/07/2020 at 07:41, mdvle said:

Quote from Rapido Trains newsletter on an employment opportunity: 

"If you have experience in the following areas, you need not apply:

·     Stealing stuff

·     Lying, cheating, murdering and pillaging......."

Given that a lot of British these days are descendants of the Vikings then maybe the list of potential applicants is considerably shortened.

Edited by GWR-fan

• RMweb Gold
On 18/07/2020 at 17:17, chris p bacon said:

I found its basically French spoken with an American/Canadian English accent, ie little effort made to pronounce it the French way we are taught in Europe, but more like as you would read it in English.

When I speak French in France, I find the need to emphasise certain pronunciations, to be understood, or worse, have them reply to you in English.

But in Montreal/Quebec I find if I try to pronounce it correct as per France, it makes the natives smile, but if I just read it English language style, it makes me smile as it goes against all those sterotype Englishman speaking French parodies you see on TV.. but the conversation goes normally.

Bonjour... is that pronounced  Bonzhou or Bon Joor ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1