Planned server maintenance - revised to WEDNESDAY 22 JULY

On 16/07/2020 at 17:26, Vistisen said:

As an professional (?) database man I would be interested to know how large the database(s) are and what tecnology they use?

The price of 8 inch floppy disks has trebled in the last week, so I'm guessing quite a few have been bought to copy the data over. The tecnology will be a system with a built in spell chequer :P

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Amand said:

The price of 8 inch floppy disks has trebled in the last week, so I'm guessing quite a few have been bought to copy the data over. The tecnology will be a system with a built in spell chequer :P

I bought a smell checker once. No instructions though so nobody nose how to use it.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Amand said:

You mean they aren't using magnetic core storage?:scratchhead:

How things have progressed.:yes:

13 hours ago, Amand said:

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

You mean they aren't using magnetic core storage?:scratchhead:

How things have progressed.:yes:

I believe Williams storage tubes are used for cache memory with magnetic drums for longer term storage.

The main problem is transporting the drums from one location to another.  :crazy::whistle:

• RMweb Premium

@Andy Y Nerve-wracking as it is, surely the server maintenance will come as a welcome change from moderating the Covid19 Facemasks thread?

Edited by DIW

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, Hroth said:

magnetic drums for longer term storage.

The first hard disks where I worked were called "Winchesters" and had a 10Mbyte capacity in a unit about 18" square by 6" high and were connected to an Apple 2.

We thought 10Mb would never be filled............:scratchhead:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, melmerby said:

The first hard disks where I worked were called "Winchesters" and had a 10Mbyte capacity in a unit about 18" square by 6" high and were connected to an Apple 2.

I still have a 20MB 3.5" hard disk - so the current standard size unit but only 20MB. It has it's own metal box with fans in, and you have to send a command to manually park the heads before shutting it down.

It is for use with BBC computers and has thousands of games on it and still only about 3/4 full.

I had an Apple 2 once - got it working but then found you could hardly do anything with it and certainly nothing that a BBC couldn't do already but better so in the bin it went. And so began my hatred of anything Apple.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

One of my colleagues said on Friday, "It's only 2Meg"...

I had to hold myself back from explaining what things were like when I started in computing.

I feel like Grampa Simpson sometimes!

Edited by Harlequin
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Harlequin said:

One of my colleagues said on Friday, "It's only 2Meg"...

I had to hold myself back from explaining what things were like when started in computing.

I feel like Grampa Simpson sometimes!

I'm a relative noob - My Dad had to produce punched cards!

• Like 2

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

My Dad had to produce punched cards!

When I were a lad...

That was the only bit of computing we ever did at school, trotted off to the Poly up the road with them all that had a computer . They all failed to run so my disappointment can be traced back 40+ years.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Amand said:

I've worked on them

8 hours ago, Hroth said:

I believe Williams storage tubes are used for cache memory with magnetic drums for longer term storage.

The main problem is transporting the drums from one location to another.  :crazy::whistle:

Worked on them too, don't over fill the oil. 

2 hours ago, melmerby said:

Worked on them as well,   swapping out 5s for 10s

Did someone mention Phoenix drives?,  

Delay Lines? 

And loading with paper tape.. 

Oh and at one time I lived in Bletchley Park.. Not till the 1970s though

Why do I feel like I'm getting old. 

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Bucoops said:

I still have a 20MB 3.5" hard disk - so the current standard size unit but only 20MB. It has it's own metal box with fans in, and you have to send a command to manually park the heads before shutting it down.

It is for use with BBC computers and has thousands of games on it and still only about 3/4 full.

I had an Apple 2 once - got it working but then found you could hardly do anything with it and certainly nothing that a BBC couldn't do already but better so in the bin it went. And so began my hatred of anything Apple.

One of my colleagues invested in an early Apple - it turned out to be a lemon though.

• Funny 2