Magazines / Specials

mdvle

Railroad Model Craftsman - January 2021

• Milwaukee Road on the Mississippi - this HO scale model railroad is based on the same Milwaukee Road territory where the author started his career as a freight clerk
  • N Scale Newsstand in One Night - the corner newsstand was once a fixture of cities and towns across the country, and still and important detail to add to your model railroad
  • Red Flags for Realistic Operations - red flags do more than just indicate the rear of your train: they add an important dimension of realistic operations to your layout
  • Pennsylvania Railroad F43 Flatcar - in 1958 Pennsylvania Railroad assembled six 140-ton capacity cast steel depressed center flatcars in its Sam Rae shops near Altoona, Pa.
  • Five Grain Elevators in Five Weeks - five unique grain elevators facilities were kitbashed to help fill out the scenes on the author's HO scale layout set in eastern Pennsylvania
  • Late-Life NP Wood Boxcars - modifying Rapido HO models to represent old Northern Pacific 40-foot wood boxcars assigned to company service in the 1970s and 1980s

Railfan & Railroad - January 2021

• Remembering the Rio Grande Ski Train - a Denver tradition for generations, the Rio Grande Ski Train enjoyed a long run into the 21st century and a brief revival under Amtrak
  • Portfolio: No Rules - a young photographer explores trackside vistas night and day in search of unique images and experiences
  • Port Inland Railroad - this obscure Michigan short line operation runs a lot of trains! Spoiler: There's access only from one public grade crossing.
  • Engineer for an Hour - a 1966 visit to Cincinnati led to the opportunity of a lifetime for a young railfan to pilot a Louisville & Nashville E7
  • El Paso PCCs - surviving as an international cross-border route until 1974, the current operation revived in 2019 remains within city limits
  • Remembering Algoma F-Units - for nearly 16 years, a fleet of 11 former VIA Rail F-units pulled passenger trains on Ontario's Algoma Central

Model Railroad News - January 2021

• HO Scale Reviews - Broadway Limited F3 and F7, Walthers Mainline F-units, Exactrail Thrall Centerbeam, ScaleTrains General American Airslide, Intermountain Modified AAR Boxcar, NYCSHS 50th Aniversary Freight Cars
  • N Scale Review - Bachmann DCC Sound Value Class J 4-8-4

• Thanks 1

Trains - February 2021

• The Road to Cumberland Gap - NS's branch in Tennessee and a corner of Kentucky
  • One good turn - restoration keeps vintage Santa Fe turntable spinning for Amtrak
  • Top of the mountain - on BNSF's Transcon, the Arizona Divide boasts grades, curves, weather, and diverse traffic
  • Flathead Tunnel at 50 - this unremarkable bore is the U.S.'s second longest
  • After PTC - after $10 billion and 12 years, the safety system is in place, but now railroads want more from it
  • In My Own Words: Growing up with a Mallet - a special locomotive becomes part of life. Oh, and traffic on 14th Street West, watch out for this beast

Model Railroader - February 2021

• Detailing the foreground - don't neglect the area between your track and the fascia
  • Blending roads into backdrops - Continue the photo onto the foreground and the scenery onto the backdrop to blue the dividing line
  • Build an adjustable track cleaning car - a styrene box with a tempered hardboard pad can be adapted to virtually any freight car
  • Modeling a snowy mountain scene - in the Colorado Rockies, snow isn't just for winter
  • A fresh start - contributing editor Pelle Søeborg switches to modules for his latest HO scale project
  • Make your own station kit - commercially available siding, roofing, and details make the Wingate, Ind., depot an ideal first scratchbuilding project
  • How to set up remote-control operations - not everyone has to be in the basement to run your trains
  • Product Reviews - ScaleTrains HO SD45, Rapido N Dash 8-40CM, Jacksonville Terminal N 53-foot well car
  • Thanks 2

• RMweb Premium

Does anyone know of a good retailer in the UK for Railfan & Railroad and particularly, Diesel Era if it still exists?

I used to get these variously at Shows (seemingly a distant memory now) Ian Allan at Waterloo (now gone) and for Model Railroaded at WHSmiths (now a hopeless resemblance of an overpriced Church jumble sale after it has  been struck by a hurricane).

There is Continental Modeller if you can find it but that seems just about it.

5 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Does anyone know of a good retailer in the UK for Railfan & Railroad and particularly, Diesel Era if it still exists?

Diesel Era appears to still exist, though they are slow at updating their website - they last list July/August 2020 - but their Facebook feed has more recent posts as they sell books.

https://www.dieselera.com/

• Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...

Model Railroader - March 2021

• Prototypical Layout, freelanced extension - a modeler whose work appeared in Great Model Railroads makes good use of some extra track, turnouts, and space
  • A fresh take on handlaid track - commercial tie strips and turnout kits make it easier than ever to lay your own rail
  • A team effort on the B&M - a husband and wife combine forces to model the New England region where they both grew up
  • Modeling Thurmond, W.Va. in HO scale - this layout was designed to be a 3-D work of art
  • Modeling a flat car load - farm equipment makes a visually interesting load for the On30 Sandy River
  • DCC Currents - Digitrax UT6D throttle and Peco Unifrogs
  • Product Reviews - Atlas Classic HO Alco RSD-5, Kitwood Hill Models On30 36-foot turntable, Athearn Genesis HO CA-8 caboose,
  • Next Issue - In April they visit Rapido's Jason Shron and his train in the basement

Trains - March 2021

• Storm Clouds Gather - Wyoming's Powder River Basin was the bustling center of American coal traffic. No More
  • Amtrak at 50, part 2 - Hits, misses, and experiments - five decades of ideas that succeeded or vanished
  • Get your motor runnin' - whether you know them as speeders or motorcars, here's everything you need to know about the largest North American group of motorcar operators
  • Rudyard Kipling meet 1309 - The last Last Baldwin steams again to become the world's largest operating Mallet
  • In My Own Words - C&NW's schools of hard knocks - Proviso Yard

• Thanks 1

Railroad Model Craftsman - February 2021

• Pulpwood and Iron Ore: C&NW Ashland District - Childhood memories of Chicago & North Western green-and-gold freight and passenger trains inspired this detailed HO scale model railroad
  • NATX Liquid Phosphate Tank Car - these unusual tank cars spent their short service life hauling liquid phosphate used in production of phosphorus-based fertilizers.
  • Remotor a PFM Brass Shay - Upgrading an old Pacific Fast Mail brass Shay with a new motor and drivetrain results in reliable, smooth operation at slow speeds.
  • Easy-to-Model Tank Head Loads - Using simple styrene shapes and cast detail parts, you can create this unusual and eye-catching load for your modern gondolas.
  • Satisfying Operations on a Smaller Layout - Small layouts can still be challenging to operate, especially if you plan out your train operations alongside your track plan.

Railfan & Railroad - February 2021

• Portrait of the North - Northern Ontario is home to some of the most rugged and challenging landscapes, and also some of the most vital railway operations in the country.
  • Canadian Cold Front - While Canadian winters may be cold and unforgiving, railroaders thrive as they get the job done
  • Alberta's Heartland - Veteran six-axle SD40-2(W)s still work the industrial complexes around Fort Saskatchewan
  • Maritime Memories - Classic passenger trains in the eastern Maritimes by Canadian Pacific, Canadian National, and VIA Rail
  • Southern Railway of British Columbia - By land and by sea, this bustling short line serves the industries of southern British Columbia
  • Rapido's Trains - Model manufacturer Rapido Trains is serious about preserving a historic collection of retired VIA Rail passenger equipment

Model Railroad News - February 2021

• HO-Scale Reviews - Canadian RDCs from Rapido, ScaleTrains NS "Top Hat"
  • N-Scale Reviews - Kato's CN Transcontinental, Rapido Draper Taper Dash 8-40CM, ScaleTrains GE C39-8
  • Book Review - Mining Locomotives from Ron's Books
  • Prototype Profile - The RS-18 recycled: RS-18u and RSC-14

HO Collector - First Quarter 2021

• Mechanized Marvels: Hobbytown, Lindsay, and Pittman - Co-editor Tony Lucio shares a look inside several vintage locomotive offerings and their intriguing drive mechanisms.
  • Operating Features to Operating Cars: Ulrich's Groundbreaking Efforts - Continuing the look at Ulrich, co-editor Tony Lucio presents the manufacturer’s operating freight car models and operating accessories.
  • An Introduction to American Train & Track - Introduced in 1967 and gone by the early 1970s, this Wisconsin-based hobby importer offered an assortment of HO releases. Co-editor Tony Cook provides an overview of the line.
  • From Canvas to Carton: Packaging and Marketing TYCO - A behind-the-scenes look at how TYCO’s packaging artwork was assembled; independent toy designer and photography teacher Justin Discoe shares insight into this eye-catching part of the hobby.

Passenger Train Journal - 4th Quarter 2020

• Intercity: Time for a Timetable Revival - Frustrated at trying to plan a rail trip without the help of a timetable? This report explains why Amtrak’s shunning of timetables hurts new business and also frustrates travelers already en route.
  • Pennsylvania Railroad's Northern Arrow - Here’s a PRR train that stood apart from Pennsy’s impressive network of east-west trains, as the Arrow headed due north from Cincinnati to the remote regions of northern Michigan.
  • Trail Blazer: From the Windy City to the Big Easy - New Orleans is the destination of choice for this Trail Blazer installment. Hop on Amtrak’s City of New Orleans (or Crescent or Sunset Limited) to this amazing city, with ample sightseeing options and some of the best food and drink ever.
  • Passenger Trains of Cincinnati: Part 1 - The latest in our ongoing “Tracking the Terminals” series points us to the Queen City: Cincinnati, Ohio. Author Jeff Hirsh takes us from Cincinnati’s humble beginnings to the peak of passenger train activity during the World War II years.
  • Thirty-One's on the Ground! - On November 6, 1965, at the remote village of Lee, Ill., Chicago, Burlington & Quincy’s combined Empire Builder/Afternoon Zephyr derailed at nearly 90 mph. Find out how a 69-cent bolt interrupted lots of travel plans, though thankfully without fatalities.

• 4 weeks later...

Model Railroad Hobbyist - January 2021

Free Portion

• MRH Website this month: Next level of diesel lighting,...
  • What's Neat: Four Ways to make conifers, ...
  • My tortoise drilling template solution
  • Ops for the rest of us: Two lightweight ops examples
  • The Santa Rita mini layout
  • Using a hobby chop saw
  • Savvy Modeler online: Superdetailed handlaid track

Paid Portion

• Limited Modeler: Pre-USRA NYC steam locomotives
  • Scratchbuild an accurate sand house
  • Modelling UP's new Maintenance-of-way train
  • Stock cars used for other things
  • Ah-Hah moment: LED lighting strip mounting solutions

https://s3-us-west-2.amazonaws.com/mrhpub.com/2021-01-jan/download.html

Model Railroad Hobbyist - February 2021

Free Portion

• Publisher Musings: Gordy Robinson NMRAx interview
  • MRH Website this month: lighted vehicles on your layout,
  • Step-by-step DCC install: Lights, sound, action!
  • Modeling water with plexiglass
  • Conveying your layout story
  • Ventilated painting station on a budget
  • Savvy Modeler online: Realistic carved foam rocks

Paid Portion

• Limited Modeler: Post-1915 NYC steamers
  • Getting Real: Stationary rolling stock projects
  • Make your own static grass tufts
  • DIY track clearance gauge
  • The case for high narrow benchwork
  • Ah-hah Moment: Mix multiple paint bottles at once

https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/41824

Model Railroader - April 2021

• Solder a simple pole gate - This one-evening scenic detail is an easy way to get your feet wet in metalworking
  • Simple pine trees - Cheap furnace filters provide branches for these easy evergreens
  • Western Maryland's East Division - Childhood memories influenced this 26x30-foot HO scale model railroad
  • Modeling in 1:1 Scale - Rapido Trains owner Jason Shron is the man with a train in his basement
  • Reviews - Bachmann HO SC-44 Charger, Athearn N PS 4427 covered hopper, Walthers Mainline 40' Boxcar, Menards HO scale Sprecher Brewing Company

Trains - April 2021

• All hail the wheat king - from wheat to windmill parts, Forty Mile Rail adapts to change in the southern Alberta prairie
  • North by Northern Lines - Minnesota railroad is short on mileage but long on customer service
  • Closing the circle - Tunnel motors and tonnage on West Virginia's Loup Creek Branch
  • You've come a long way, short lines - An appreciation in South Dakota for the state of the industry
  • Ohio River railroading - Belpre Industrial Parkersburg revitalizes two Rust Belt river cities
  • The crossing - short lines rarely cross each other at grade.  But they do in Plymouth, Ohio
  • In My Own Words: The astronaut and the space-age railroad watch - the pocket watch that rode with me while Americans explored the heavens

Railfan and Railroad is available through W H Smith. You will probably have to order it though, as i have only seen it on the shelf in one store, Poole. I've received it through Smiths for the last 20 years.

Rob

• RMweb Premium

I take Railfan & Railroad through a digital subscription now, far easier.  Unfortunately not all of the same publishers titles are available as such.

I have at least managed to get my local WHSmiths to stock Model Railroader and Trains again all be it quite a bit later than the US publication date and they had the Model Railroad Planning 2021 in this morning too.

One publication I can’t find in the UK since Ian Allan at Waterloo went and shows stopped is Diesel Era.  Some issues of that I have found to be essential reading, especially my treasured issues from 2005 covering SP GP9’s...

• RMweb Premium

John.

I am aware City News, High Street, Wells, Somerset used to stock them pre lock down as a purchased a few copies over the months,  if that helps.

James.

5 hours ago, John M Upton said:

I take Railfan & Railroad through a digital subscription now, far easier.  Unfortunately not all of the same publishers titles are available as such.

I have at least managed to get my local WHSmiths to stock Model Railroader and Trains again all be it quite a bit later than the US publication date and they had the Model Railroad Planning 2021 in this morning too.

One publication I can’t find in the UK since Ian Allan at Waterloo went and shows stopped is Diesel Era.  Some issues of that I have found to be essential reading, especially my treasured issues from 2005 covering SP GP9’s...

Hi 

How do you access the digital version of Railfan & Railfan.  Really want to trial that and model railroad craftsman, but can't find print copies. 

Cheers 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, GEOEng03 said:

Hi 

How do you access the digital version of Railfan & Railfan.  Really want to trial that and model railroad craftsman, but can't find print copies. 

Cheers 

Railfan & Railroad is here:

http://railfan.com/

Railroad Model Craftsman here:

http://rrmodelcraftsman.com/

All White River Productions publications who also do Model Railroad News at http://modelrailroadnews.com/ but there is no digital online version sadly.

• Like 1

Narrow Gauge and Short Line Gazette - Jan/Feb 2021

• Rebuilding My Pine Cliff Layout - An On30 Mining and Rock Quarry Module

• An Inexpensive Turnout Controller - Throwing Points and Routing Electricity

• The East Tennessee & Western North Carolina Railroad and its Locomotives Part 3: Consolidations To The Rescue

• Self-Propelled Log Unloading Machines Part 1: Early Home Built And Washington Iron Works Machines

• Lighting Up My HOn3 White Pass & Yukon Route Part 3: Incorporating Control And A Bit Of Magic

• Layout Refinements - “Handlaid” Mine Track

• Scratchbuilding Colorado Central No. 10 For My On3 Colorado Central & Southern Part 7: The Domes (Continued)

• Brass Bashing D&RGW #340: Part 2

• The Narrow Gauge Scene - Moving The San Juan Central – A Final Home

• Plans:

• The East Tennessee & Western North Carolina No. 4, No. 5, and No. 6

• Conoco Tank Cars No. 12 and No. 13

• Washington Iron Works Log Unloader

• The Durham House, Bodie, California

• Mail Cars A/B and E, San Francisco, California

• Thanks 1

On 21/02/2021 at 22:45, John M Upton said:

Railfan & Railroad is here:

http://railfan.com/

Railroad Model Craftsman here:

http://rrmodelcraftsman.com/

All White River Productions publications who also do Model Railroad News at http://modelrailroadnews.com/ but there is no digital online version sadly.

Thanks, it was more of viewing the digital version.  I do MRR and Trains through Zinio and they send direct subscriptions via that method as well.  

When i have looked at Railfan and Craftsman, they seem to only support Apple, not Android via an app, so just wondered how you viewed them. 

Cheers

On or off topic.  I recently purchased a copy of 'Guide to North American Diesel Locomotives' and A Historical Guide to North American Railroads' to read while we are moving house and I have no layout.  Both are quite excellent for giving an overview of there topics, with the latter being quite good for showing route maps for all current (at time of publishing) and historical railroads.  I have really enjoyed flicking through the latter for getting an interest for each of the railroads they cover.  There are a few omissions in the latter book, but overall, has proved a useful resource for those moments away from the tablet/net/TV.  

Probably not everyone's cup of tea, and there are more definitive sources out there, but I have found them most useful to drop in and read about.  They, in my opinion, set out to do what they should, provide an interesting backdrop for the subject chosen.

Title - Guide to North American Diesel Locomotives

Pages - 304

Author - Jeff Wilson 

Comments - plenty of pictures of locomotives being covered, although there are quite a lot of B&W pictures for some of the older units (as you'd expect).  The book is split into the first half being about diesel in general, with the latter half covering the various builders.  I found it useful to see some of the older models that each of the manufacturers covered, given the era i have interest in being modern image (Sd60/70/ES44 etc...).  The book also provides a useful history of diesel and how it came to displace steam.  Finally, the book also has a reasonable roster section that covers the majority of the main railroads throughout diesel history. 

Score - 7/10

Price - I picked up for a round £15, but RRP is $28

Title - A Historical Guide to North American Railroads, Third Edition

Pages - 323

Author - Trains Magazine (various - Jeff Wilson / Randy Rehberg)

Comments - The big positive for me was the inclusion of route maps for each of the railroads covered.  There are plenty of pictures of locomotives/operators being covered, although there are quite a lot of B&W pictures across all eras.  There are more than 170 railroads covered in the book and each section covers the history of each railroad and their success, eventual demise or merger as it happened.  The detail is rather brief, but it provides a very useful overview of railroads in North America.  I have found it quite useful as i try and bring myself up to speed with the lesser know parts of each area of this part of the world. 

Score - 8/10

Price - I picked up for a round £18 but RRP is $25

Hopefully, someone will find useful. 

Cheers

Bryn

51006254101_a817a9766d_c.jpg2021-03-05_03-26-55 by Bryn Jones, on Flickr

Edited by GEOEng03
Added picture
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 3 weeks later...

Railroad & Railfan - April 2021

• Southern Pacific's Spring to the Finish - With the Southern Pacific era coming to a close as the Union Pacific merger loomed on the horizon in the mid-1990s, real main line action could be found on the Sunset Route in Arizona
  • Portfolio - From Colorada to Alaska (with stops in between), Frank Keller has captured the stark beauty of railroading in the mountains
  • Claymont Steel - WIth the former steel mill site set for redevelopment, another piece of Delaware's industrial history fades away
  • The Griffins Line - This former New Haven branch line twists through the back streets and suburbs of Hartford, Connecticut
  • Sandaoling Steam Finale - Steam makes its last stand at the Sandaoling coal mine where beefy 2-8-2s with familiar American lines serve out their days
  • Reflections of the Credit Valley - Without political support from the town, the scenic Orangeville-Brampton Railway reaches the end of the line.

Railroad Model Craftsman - April 2021

• August 1939 on the Yosemite Valley - A classic California short line comes to life, thanks to more than 40 years of prototype research and modeling
  • Pullman-Standard 2929 Covered Hopper - Favored by southern lines, these cars were designed to carry fertilizer and phosphate
  • A Modern Commodity: Ethanol by Rail - from farmer's field to fuel depot, you can easily add any aspect of modern ethanol production to your model railroad
  • Kitbash a Texas Mexican Geep - Part of a fleet of EMD switchers that included seating space in the short hood for the union-mandated five-man crew
  • Build New Stations from Classic Kits - Classic kits from AHM and Atlas provide the base for detailed train station scenes that can fit a variety of eras and locales
  • Hand-Lay and Detail a P48 Turnout - Track is a model too, and what better way to showcase your efforts than an O scale turnout built to Proto48 standards?

Model Railroad Hobbyist - March 2021

Free Portion:

• MRH Website this month: solving Atlas frog issues, ...
  • What's Neat: Wrecking cars with aluminum foil, ...
  • Great running DCC loco on a budget
  • Walking tour of Bill Kachel's Pennsylvania layout
  • Managing individual car movements
  • Proposal: Incorporating seniority into layout ops
  • Savvy Modeler Online: Why the hobby isn't dying

Paid portion:

• Limited Modeler: The ubiquitous USRA Mikado
  • Modeling boxcars with open doors
  • Replicating modern railcar tagging
  • Downsizing a freight house kit to fit the space
  • Using AK pencils to weather layout details
  • Ah-Hah Moment: Model a riverbed using real stone chips

https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/42117

Railroad Model Craftsman - March 2021

• Katy’s St. Louis Sub • by Dan Munson — Bret Overholtzer has recreated the operations-heavy Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railway route across the state of Missouri in N scale.

• Tilt-Board Signal at Willimantic • by Seth Neumann and Jim Providenza — Dating back to the earliest days of railroading, this unique style of signal protected the crossing of Central Vermont and New Haven at Willimantic, Conn.

• Building FW Tower in S Scale • by Gaylord Gill — This concrete block tower once controlled the crossing of Erie Railroad, Pennsylvania Railroad, and Buffalo Creek Railroad in Buffalo, N.Y.

• From Wyandotte Siding to Guadalupe Yard • by Brian Moore — What are the chances of two Southern Pacific modelers in the United Kingdom making a connection without ever meeting?

• Kitbash a Soo Line Decapod • by Shawn Brecher — A Bachmann Decapod is the base for this HO scale kitbash that brings out the familiar details of Soo Line 2-10-0 No. 950.

Railfan & Railroad - March 2021

• The Pilbara: Magic in 2011 • by Kevin EuDaly — The striking beauty of the Western Australian desert is the perfect backdrop for heavy-haul iron ore operations using modern American export General Electric and EMD power.
  • Moment of Decision • by Ron Flanary — You’ve just taken a tumble during a spirited chase in the snow. The train is here! No time to reposition. What do you do?

• Chase the Chewelah • by Bruce E. Kelly — This scenic former Great Northern branch in the northeastern Washington is home to A-B-B-B-A GP60s and more.

• Photo Line: Along the Line • — Our readers record the unusual year that was 2020 with photos of colorful railroad action from coast to coast.

• Super-7 Saga • by Gordon Lloyd Jr. — General Electric’s Super-723B rebuild program offered an inexpensive power solution for short lines and Class Is alike.

Passenger Train Journal - First Quarter 2021

• Moynihan Train Hall Opens • by Marc Glucksman — After years of controversy, planning, and finally rebuilding, what had been New York City’s Farley Post Office Building has been transformed into Moynihan Train Hall—a stunning tribute to the original Penn Station razed in 1963 that now provides Amtrak and New Jersey Transit passenger an open, airy place to await trains.

• Intercity: The Trains We Rode • by Kevin McKinney — PTJ founder Kevin McKinney looks back on the trains he rode growing up in the 1950s and 1960s—the last hurrah for traditional passenger train travel.

• Passenger Trains of Cincinnati–Part 2 • by Jeff Hirsh — The heyday of American passenger trains—particularly those that served the City of Cincinnati—are covered in this second (of three) installments of pre-Amtrak trains of the Queen City.

• Trail Blazer to South Central Pennsylvania • by Mike Schafer — PTJ takes you to Altoona and environs, including “World Famous Horseshoe Curve,” Cresson, and Gallitzin and its Gallitzin Tunnels. Looking for a multi-faceted getaway destination as COVID 19 clears? Hop on the Pennsylvanian and check this one out.

• Rail User’s Network: Will Passenger Rail Ever Return to Rockford, Ill., and Dubuque, Iowa? • by Richard Rudolph — Return to Rockford, Ill., and Dubuque, Iowa? The latest news involving the twisted, ongoing, multi-year saga of re-establishing passenger service between Chicago and the State of Illinois’ second-largest urban area—and perhaps beyond to Dubuque, Iowa.

Hi, 

I just wondered if anyone had taken out a subscription to the new offering by the Trains family of magazines. It's $83 a year, but gives access to all five magazines and website content, plus back issues for all five magazines.  Maybe a better way of subscribing when you do two or more (like me with Trains and Model Railroader). 

https://www.trains.com/why-join/

Cheers

• Informative/Useful 1

Model Railroader - May 2021

• With a little help from their friends - A couple recruits a crew of modelers to help build their dream layout
  • Model a ballast hopper - Commercially available 3D printed parts make this HO scale car possible
  • Canadian canyon action in a small space - Dramatic bridge and tunnel scenes are the focus of this N-scale model railroad
  • Add automatic sprinkler details to buildings - Hydrants, alarm bells, valves and other details add an extra level of realism to structures
  • Product Reviews - Kato NYC 20th Century Limited (N), ScaleTrains Backpacker well car (HO), Atlas 1937 AAR 40-foot steel boxcar (O), Rapido Amtrak Horizon cars (HO)

Trains - May 2021

• Wiscasset in winter - An appreciation of the Maine jewel that is the Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington
  • Surviving the Covid blues - After unprecedented challenges, the heritage rail industry looks to post-pandemic operations
  • Restarting a legend - How to bring the East Broad Top back to life
  • North woods success - Now home to the "Mark Twain Zephr", Wisconsin Great Northern was built a day at a time ... over 25 years
  • In My Own Words: How to make a clawbar sing - Fast times on Santa Fe's Santa Ana local
  • Free Guide: Ride this Train - Your 2021 railroad fun guide to tourist trains and railroad museums

Edited by mdvle