Hornby Signal Box - Happy Birthday Episode

linz61

I have just been watching the latest Hornby Signal Box episode on YT and throughly enjoyed it.

As I watched the segment with Simon Kohler (timestamp 8:00 mins onwards) my eye wandered to the display case behind him and up on the top shelf am not sure what I saw. In a case full of presumably Hornby past and present memorabilia is that a mounted and cased presentation model of Stephenson's Locomotion No1 or am I mistaken?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, meatloaf said:

Hm wonder what the project was in 2014 that Hornby were ready tool but Bachmann neat them too it. 94XX pannier?

Thats my thinking too .  I don’t know why he could not just tell us .  The irony of course is that they might not have beaten them to it !   Good episode though . 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, meatloaf said:

Hm wonder what the project was in 2014 that Hornby were ready tool but Bachmann neat them too it. 94XX pannier?

I was wondering about the V2 - fits in with Hornbys stable and they had already almost released previously.

57 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

I was wondering about the V2 - fits in with Hornbys stable and they had already almost released previously.

Didn't realise Hornby had reintroduced Battle Space. Hmm, a new rocket launcher...

• Funny 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, linz61 said:

I have just been watching the latest Hornby Signal Box episode on YT and throughly enjoyed it.

As I watched the segment with Simon Kohler (timestamp 8:00 mins onwards) my eye wandered to the display case behind him and up on the top shelf am not sure what I saw. In a case full of presumably Hornby past and present memorabilia is that a mounted and cased presentation model of Stephenson's Locomotion No1 or am I mistaken?

As well as this video, there was another one with Simon, where it looked like Locomotion behind him. I Don’t recall Hornby making it before....

18 hours ago, meatloaf said:

Possibly the 94xx, he also says they had done research on another loco, which was dropped when someone announced the same loco.

I suspect all the manufacturers could cite a few projects that were stopped under similar circumstances. Then of course, sometimes they are too far down the road to pull the plug, namely the GWR Prairies at the moment.

• RMweb Gold
45 minutes ago, D1051 said:

I thought it was the Hall . & Hornby went for the Grange instead

That was in the previous decade. What perhaps it could be is the GNR/LNER Atlantic Locomotion NRM    which was unveiled at Shildon in July 2014.

Edited by Ian Hargrave
Adding text
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, linz61 said:

is that a mounted and cased presentation model of Stephenson's Locomotion No1 or am I mistaken?

Its a (very) static pewter model of Locomotion No 1 to 7mm scale. It was made, I think, by Bachmann.

13 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Its a (very) static pewter model of Locomotion No 1 to 7mm scale. It was made, I think, by Bachmann.

I'm wondering if it's a subtle clue that following success of Rocket, we may see Locomotion No.1 produced for S&D 200

Edited by Denbridge
Brain feet over year

6 hours ago, Denbridge said:

I'm wondering if it's a subtle clue that following success of Rocket, we may see Locomotion No.1 produced for S&D 200

The pewter model has been in the display case ever since Hornby moved back to Margate, I suppose it was there when Simon had his office in Sandwich. It'd be nice, but the motion is a bit complicated for 4mm RTR, look how tiny Rocket is, Locomotion isn't any bigger.

It'd be more sensible for Hornby to do a Planet or a Patentee, those would go with the coaches, as would Lion at a pinch!

Edited by Hroth
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Hroth said:

The pewter model has been in the display case ever since Hornby moved back to Margate, I suppose it was there when Simon had his office in Sandwich. It'd be nice, but the motion is a bit complicated for 4mm RTR, look how tiny Rocket is, Locomotion isn't any bigger.

It'd be more sensible for Hornby to do a Planet or a Patentee, those would go with the coaches, as would Lion at a pinch!

Would you expect full working motion though.

You just need the coupling rods to rotate and the main rods that go up to the beams to go up and down.

Do able. It's where you put the motor that is the problem.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I enjoyed watching the video. I was interested to hear that Simon had not got his own model railway layout.  If he had made a portable layout it may have inspired him to make some expandable track to make it easy to bridge the gaps between each baseboard without having to cut the track and solder the ends onto track pins. He might also consider some ready ballasted track like Fleischmann makes and improve the signals.

I am not sure that it was a good idea to run 'Sir Nigel Gresley' on the carpet as the fibres might get into the locomotive mechanism.

I also found his explanation as to why he has not reintroduced smoke units interesting.  I wonder if he will reintroduce the giraffe car.

On 18/07/2020 at 23:35, Steamport Southport said:

Would you expect full working motion though.

You just need the coupling rods to rotate and the main rods that go up to the beams to go up and down.

Do able. It's where you put the motor that is the problem.

Jason

Motorised chaldron waggon (sic)?