Transplanting Hornby and Bachmann Bodies

• RMweb Gold

I have a spare Hornby patriot chassis,or at least I will have.  I would like to fit my old Bachmann/Mainline Jubilee body to the chassis.  The problem is with the cab.  The Mainline cab needs a slot to accept the cab end flat spigot of the chassis.  Can anyone recommend a method of separating the cabs of the Mainline Jubilee and Hornby Patriot to enable a transplant.

Converesly has anyone fitted a Bachmann body to a Hornby chassis.

Any suggestions gratefully received.

Mike

Hi,

Rather than trying to adjust the body to fit the chassis it may be easier to get the chassis to fit the body. I did this with a Mainline jubilee body when I fitted a Bachmann Scot chassis to it. Was much easier than trying to do it the other way round. I know it sounds bit of a Frankenstien engine but they came in a box of broken engines I got off Ebay.

Still looks and runs fine.

Mind you I thought the Hornby Patriot was a tender drive engine. So it should be fairly easy to do. Or have the upgraded the engine in the past to put the motor in the body.. ?.

Edited by cypherman

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, cypherman said:

Mind you I thought the Hornby Patriot was a tender drive engine. So it should be fairly easy to do. Or have the upgraded the engine in the past to put the motor in the body.. ?.

The Hornby Patriot is loco drive same as the Royal Scot, has been for years.

1 hour ago, LNWR18901910 said:

I did make a similar conversion with my Hornby James the Red Engine model using a Bachmann 3F Chassis and had detailing added to it. If you like, I could show you some models.

I would be interested to see the end result and the method if available.

Mike

I have wedged any number of RTR mechanisms into bodies they were not designed for, and to transplant the current Hornby Patriot mechanism into the Jubilee body requires a plenitude of cutting to both body and chassis block. The wall thickness of the old moulding is 'hefty' and needs to be thinned down here and there, and the Hornby castings have to be cut back to fit, from above the centre coupled axle all the way to above the bogie to get the Jube body seated at the right height.

The cylinders and valve chests have to move downwards a little too, (this may restrict the minimum radius, not a concern for me) and a little has to be skimmed off the top of the valve chest and a recess created under the footplate. The upper brush terminal of the Hornby motor is hard against the underside of the thinned down interior of the firebox moulding by the time you are done. The easy removal of the Jubilee cab is an asset, as it gives better access to the interior work sites and enables you to see what you are about.

Don't try to use the Hornby cab, the Patriot cab is distinctly different (and was also very well attached on the model I used). Instead, build the end locator under the Jubilee cab, easy enough to do while it is separated from the boiler. (I just tacked the body to the mechanism at the front end with a little dab of Evostick to keep it all together.)

(I only did it this way because the Patriot was obtained badly cosmetically damaged s/h at a giveaway price. I suspect the current Bachmann Jube mechanism would make for an easier job. But it runs well and the friend I did it for was pleased; however, I decided not to repeat the exercise, and have the Hornby Pate for my operation to represent a visiting LMR 4-6-0.)

On 17/07/2020 at 14:34, tarifa said:

The Hornby Patriot is loco drive same as the Royal Scot, has been for years.

I would be interested to see the end result and the method if available.

Mike

Consider it done! I am welcome to share two more with you!

DSC09763.JPG

DSC09762.JPG

I also did the same thing with my Thomas model, too.

DSC09766.JPG.3d0805258c0ba4bef8c2d32297e07104.JPG

DSC09768.JPG.16531bc664150048c9876243c4aae51f.JPG

The body is a modified Hornby THomas body with a Jinty 3F Chassis and running-board added. Yes, Sparkshot does an E2X on his Shapeways, but I have yet to purchase one. he cab looks slanted at the back but it was the best that could be managed.

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

The easy removal of the Jubilee cab is an asset, as it gives better access to the interior work sites and enables you to see what you are about.

Any advise on removing the Bachmann cab from the body.

Nike

1 hour ago, tarifa said:

Any advise on removing the Bachmann cab from the body.

It's a wrestling match! The front spectacle plate fits around the rear of the firebox, and the cab moulding is a complete piece, includes the backhead, floor, footplate and cabsteps. You should be able to see the joint in the footplate just ahead of the cab front. Twist the body and cab relative to each other until the cement snaps, and pull the cab off; nothing very scientific about this!