FIVE79/Chivers Finelines - N Gauge Blue Spot Fish Van is BACK! Page 9

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, finelines said:

There were two diagrams of what I call smooth sided blue spot fish vans dia 800 and 801. Although they look alike almost nothing is the same, especially the bracing. They even have a different roof radius. I probably used the earlier drawing because they lived longer and there was less bracing to cut. When I read the above thread I assumed that rather than duplicate the Parkside kit it was being suggested that we produce the later diagram. 

A couple of things I’ve learn about these vans. Firstly once they were transferred to parcels service they didn’t always retain their roller bearings and secondly somebody wrote they were used

to distribute the Readers Digest. 

Roger

Sounds a bit Fishy to me Roger. 🙃

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, Nile said:

The question seems to be - do you want Team Chivers to expend their valuable time duplicating an existing kit , even if the result would be superior , or direct their efforts at something that isn't already available?

The other question seems to be, how much work is there in upping the thing to 4mm? If it's minimal then why not? Roger is in business, he will know if it's worth it.

P

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nile said:

The question seems to be - do you want Team Chivers to expend their valuable time duplicating an existing kit , even if the result would be superior , or direct their efforts at something that isn't already available?

Hence my suggestion to do the later van (dia.801). I'm not even sure if there's ever been a kit for it.

By contrast, the earlier one was done RTR in 4mm scale by Hornby Dublo/Wrenn/Dapol, new RTR by (modern) Hornby and kit by Parkside Dundas. In N kit by Chivers and RTR by Dapol*.

* Peco also did one, but stretched to fit their 45t tank chassis, so isn't a serious contender.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Hence my suggestion to do the later van (dia.801). I'm not even sure if there's ever been a kit for it.

By contrast, the earlier one was done RTR in 4mm scale by Hornby Dublo/Wrenn/Dapol, new RTR by (modern) Hornby and kit by Parkside Dundas. In N kit by Chivers and RTR by Dapol*.

* Peco also did one, but stretched to fit their 45t tank chassis, so isn't a serious contender.

Rumney Models have produced a kit in 4mm scale for the 1/801 fish van. It is mainly in etched brass with 3d printed details;

https://website.rumneymodels.co.uk/general-merchandise-wagon-kits

Andy

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Sharp edges.

Defined corners.

Parts which actually align.

A roof which fits accurately.

In fact everything which make Chivers/Five79 the kits they are, there really isn't a comparison.

Mike.

I accept everyone has different standards and this is just my opinion, but I'm genuinely surprised by this. I agree the Chivers 4mm kits are very good...but the Parkside 'Blue Spot' Fish Van kit is IMO one of their best, precisely because everything fits really positively and the finesse of the tooling is really good (admittedly I've not built a Peco-produced version and only the original Parkside production). It even comes with a choice of axleboxes. Some of the older Parkside kits are a bit more 'challenging', but this particular one just falls together.

Apologies for the diversion, the 2mm kit looks great, and yes a 4mm diagram 801 would be most welcome! Most of the versions that made it into parcels use and painted rail blue were from the later diagram.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1