FIVE79/Chivers Finelines - N Gauge Blue Spot Fish Van is BACK! Page 9

• RMweb Gold

While John was dying of the squits, Louis, Dauphin of France (who became Louis VI IIRC) had been crowned King of England in Westminster Abbey by the Archbishop of Canterbury with the support of the Barons (who had invited him to take the position) and the blessing of the Pope, which makes him a perfectly legitimate King of England in my book.  Of course, as soon as the news of John's death was known, that was the end of that caper; the Barons rallied behind the legitimate heir Henry, to be Henry III in the course of time , inevitably given that a child could be controlled and manipulated by them far more readily than the Dauphin of France.

But Louis should be numbered among the Kings of England; he was at least crowned, which is more than you can say for Edward VIII.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
18 hours ago, The Johnster said:

Henry I doesn’t get a Shakespeare play but is, according the chronicles, the victim of death by ‘a surfeit of lamphreys’.  

The thing is if you buy a surfeit, they all come in a single pack with one copy of the instructions. He was probably overcome by solvent fumes trying to build them all at once: a salutory lesson to the rest of us to work in a well-ventilated room.

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Quite.  Although H1's demise might well have been poisoning.  His own accession to the throne is suspect; he 'happened to be present' when his predecessor William the 2nd Rufus 'accidentally' shot by an arrow while hunting in the New Forest.  Henry tore off at full gallop before Rufus had hit the ground to Winchester, still the capital then, to secure the crown and, perhaps more importantly, the mint, not the action of a man who was particularly surprised by the sudden turn of events.  A King, once in position, required immediate oaths of loyalty with dire consequences if those were broken, or even suspected to have been, so once he was crowned, almost immediately in this case, he was pretty difficult to remove.

Edward II died from no apparent cause, allegedly by the insertion of a red hot poker where the sun don' shine while imprisoned at Berkeley Castle.  He was gay and this might have been a case of a punishment fitting what was perceived as blasphemous at the time, but the political situation suggests otherwise.  This method is known among hunters as a way of preserving the pelt of a captured animal unmarked, and a good means of concealing a murder.  Edward III was another suspect death, and Richard II disappeared inside Wakefield Castle and was never seen again, conveniently for the usurper Henry Bolingbroke.  Henry V's death has never been fully explained either.  John is a moot point; he was in a pretty bad way at the end I reckon.  William I and Richard III also died violent but deaths, William's being a long painful affair that the survivors of the Harrying of the North must have taken grim pleasure in, but 'legitimate', as was Richard I's.  Geoffrey of Anjou and Arthur of Brittany also came to rather suspicious ends, though; being or wanting to be a king in those days was not good for your health!

Maybe just as well I am a peasant, even if I was in fact the victim of a mix up in the maternity ward and went home with the working class people; the proof of this is that any of my former bosses will tell you that I genetically suited to a life of idleness and excess; it was all hushed up of course but my real parents live in a big house at the end of The Mall in London...  Cwmdimbath has no need for Lamphreys or any departmental stock, but I my one day run to an errant and rusty Grampus as a siding lurker.

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Apart from Henry I, did any other English monarch suffer a departmental wagon-related demise?

A few died of various sexually transmitted diseases, so I suppose they could be said to have died from Crabs in the Pollocks, so to speak!

Mike.

• Round of applause 3
  • Funny 2

On 05/10/2020 at 21:56, Compound2632 said:

Apart from Henry I, did any other English monarch suffer a departmental wagon-related demise?

It is alleged, by some, that Elizabeth 1 once swallowed a sealion, at least I think that's what my history teacher said I wasn't really paying attention.   I'm sure he also said that WW1 was started by someone shooting an ostrich, or something or nothing.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 06/10/2020 at 06:57, Enterprisingwestern said:

A few died of various sexually transmitted diseases, so I suppose they could be said to have died from Crabs in the Pollocks, so to speak!

Mike.

Very good 

• Thanks 1

On 05/10/2020 at 22:24, County of Yorkshire said:

To atone for my role in the regal thread deviation, I've just put an order in for a few of the GWR P23s and one each of the LMS wagon diagrams. Looking forward to their arrival!

Cheers.

CoY

Ordered on Monday evening, and delivered by Wednesday lunchtime; excellent service!

CoY

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

OUT NOW!

The 009 Range of white metal locomotive bodykits in stock and ready to ship. Although we have current stock, We will endeavour to keep these kits in stock, when demand is high they will be made to order so please allow up to two weeks delivery.

https://five79.co.uk/009-Narrow-Gauge-Kits/

Edited by The Great Huszar
  • Like 1

• Chivers Finelines changed the title to Chivers Finelines is BACK by Five79. 009 Loco body kits OUT NOW Page 5
  • Chivers Finelines changed the title to Chivers Finelines is BACK by Five79. 009 Loco body kits OUT NOW and SR Tunny Page 5
  • RMweb Gold

Assuming the unbraked/MDO version of the 21 ton mineral wagon can't be built from your kit, is it possible to for you to make the body moulding available separately to allow for a bit of cross kitting, or is it in your roundtuit pile to make a kit available?

Mike.

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Assuming the unbraked/MDO version of the 21 ton mineral wagon can't be built from your kit, is it possible to for you to make the body moulding available separately to allow for a bit of cross kitting, or is it in your roundtuit pile to make a kit available?

Mike.

On a similar note. Is it possible to provide spares?  I seem to have some broken hand brake levers from earlier runs.  Those bendy ones are pretty unique :(

Griff

On 25/10/2020 at 20:19, The Great Huszar said:

OUT NOW.... 4mm Standard Gauge.

RC448 SR Dia1771 20T Ballast Wagon Kit (Tunny) £10 + P&P

The kit requires standard wagon wheels on 26mm axles, bearings, couplers, paint & transfers to complete.

Kit Contains cast whitemetal buffers, Vac cylinder.

Order here... https://five79.co.uk/RC448/

186804804_Screenshot2020-10-25at19_43_30.png.864ddbf640b9365ccbca4305fe66fb0c.png

Long lived wagons, introduced in 1928 and still doing what they were built for in 1992. https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/srtunny  

Paul

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 08/11/2020 at 08:08, Enterprisingwestern said:

Mike.

Not the MDO, that's Parkside? Or do you mean the non-SAB MDV??

• Chivers Finelines changed the title to Chivers Finelines is BACK by Five79. 15t SR LING out now Page 5