Bachmann Standard Class 4 Rewheeling

Has anyone experience of fitting Gibson wheels to a Bachmann Standard Class 4 using the GibsonRTR  conversion kit. I am investigating sorting out the axle problems on five split chassis Class 4s.

Thanks

Gltagaman

Edited by Geoff Lewis
spelling mistake

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Geoff Lewis said:

Has anyone experience of fitting Gibson wheels to a Bachmann Standard Class 4 using the GibsonRTR  conversion kit. I am investigating sorting out the axle problems on five split chassis Class 4s.

Thanks

Gltagaman

I’m not aware of Gibson doing a conversion kit for the split axle/chassis version. The listed conversion is for the revised contemporary chassis.

Edited by PMP

14 hours ago, Geoff Lewis said:

Has anyone experience of fitting Gibson wheels to a Bachmann Standard Class 4 using the GibsonRTR  conversion kit. I am investigating sorting out the axle problems on five split chassis Class 4s...

There have been past DIY attempts to adapt kit wheelsets into Bachmann split chassis mechanisms. I feel it is fair to say that the conclusion was better to build a new mechanism, using the kit wheelsets in way they are designed to be used.

I read all this with some interest, with a number of split chassis models which were fast wearing out completely, (all the plating worn from the castings) along with much else repaired as they had degraded in operation, and steadily recycling the best surviving components into 'rebuilds'. I ended up opting for the cheap solution, look out for s/h or offers on the replacement model as Bachmann upgraded to conventional chassis, but only for those models where the bodies had been worked up to represent specific locos.