KR Models announces 'new industrial loco'

Mel_H

KR Models has posted this 'teaser' on its Facebook page:

HOT NEWS,

We have been given exclusive access to a NEW industrial Shunter loco. This is a very exciting development in our evolution of the company. These will be for the modern image yard shunter, in a steelworks, or even for your nuclear flask operation. Further details to follow in due course.

A suggestion in the comments boxes that it might be the TfL battery Clayton, has been denied, with "No, [but] close". But there's been no response to the comment that it's the CBD90 hybrid sold to Tata (pictured). Froth away!

Screen Shot 2020-07-17 at 23.25.51.png

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Mel_H said:

exclusive access to a NEW industrial Shunter loco.

7 hours ago, Mel_H said:

no response to the comment that it's the CBD90

7 hours ago, Mel_H said:

modern image yard shunter, in a steelworks, or even for your nuclear flask operation.

it does seem to fit 

https://www.railjournal.com/locomotives/sellafield-orders-hybrid-locomotives/

• Informative/Useful 3

Really interesting and yes I would definitely get on-board if the Sellafield CBD80 diesel-hybrid locomotive is done by KR and would compliment what Accurascale have and are bringing out in regards to Nuclear wagons.

Edited by classy52
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
41 minutes ago, PenrithBeacon said:

But how many layouts would have a need for such a locomotive? Seems to be taking Rule 1 too far.

A smallish British 0-6-0 seems to be more likely.

Hmm maybe, but KRM are making some unusual locos like the GT3 and Fell.

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, PenrithBeacon said:

But how many layouts would have a need for such a locomotive? Seems to be taking Rule 1 too far.

A smallish British 0-6-0 seems to be more likely.

Given how many steel wagons are currently produced, a steel works shunter makes sense.

But widening that, we have a Barclay, Peckett for steamy’s, a YEC 0-6-0 and a Sentinel for post steam, so why shouldnt there be a market for a 21st century industrial shunter ?

• Agree 3

On 19/07/2020 at 22:08, adb968008 said:

Given how many steel wagons are currently produced, a steel works shunter makes sense.

But widening that, we have a Barclay, Peckett for steamy’s, a YEC 0-6-0 and a Sentinel for post steam, so why shouldnt there be a market for a 21st century industrial shunter ?

I don't see why not, especially if it's 'pretty' (certainly, the liveries are eye catching, even if the loco is a bit 'boxy' below the solebar)

I'm sure that when the announcement is officially made, KR will find out how many EOI it gets pretty quickly...

CBD80 1.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 20.09.15.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 20.08.33.png

• Like 4

On 19/07/2020 at 18:43, Corbs said:

Hmm maybe, but KRM are making some unusual locos like the GT3 and Fell.

Maybe one day they will do the long-lived GRCW/Met-Camm/BREL Bo-Bo BELs, plenty of liveries to go at... I wonder who will be bold enough? Surely that would fall into the 'more unusual locos' category? They are numerous (about 59 from memory) and span a long time period (with variations)...

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 20.19.43.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 20.21.27.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 20.31.18.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 20.32.48.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 20.34.35.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 20.40.57.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 21.02.13.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-21 at 21.03.05.png

LT_battery_locos_at_Croxley_Tip_1971.jpg

25th April 1972. Peter Wilson photo.jpg

Edited by Mel_H
  • Like 11
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

The TfL battery shunters would be difficult to justify on most layouts even with rule 1.  But the BoBo industrial could be used on layouts with an industry.  It could provide a useful basis for 0-16.5 locos too.

• Like 1

The CBD90 locos are not just being supplied to Sellafield & TATA steel, Beacon Rail Leasing has ordered a further 15 with options on all build capacity for the next 3 years. No operators have been announced yet.

https://claytonequipment.co.uk/clayton-equipment-agree-contract-with-beacon-rail-leasing-for-the-emission-free-hybrid-cbd90-shunting-locomotive/

• Informative/Useful 3

1 hour ago, black and decker boy said:

The CBD90 locos are not just being supplied to Sellafield & TATA steel, Beacon Rail Leasing has ordered a further 15 with options on all build capacity for the next 3 years. No operators have been announced yet.

https://claytonequipment.co.uk/clayton-equipment-agree-contract-with-beacon-rail-leasing-for-the-emission-free-hybrid-cbd90-shunting-locomotive/

Thus KR might be onto something here, do hope they go ahead.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, black and decker boy said:

ah.., replacements for drs class 20’s then :D

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

16 hours ago, adb968008 said:

ah.., replacements for drs class 20’s then :D

I think it very unlikely that we'll see the Beacon ones on the national network, but more than likely a certain mainline, but before it becomes one (If you get what I mean).

Although I imagine i'll now be proved very wrong.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Oh dear, I do hope the prototype choice is not as niche as many here are suggesting. If it is as per the above then I don't predict good sales at all... 

My prediction/logical choice would be a standard 0-6-0 Hunslet DH, perhaps building on the research done by the N gauge society for their model. 

Paul A

Edited by 1whitemoor
  • Agree 2

The only complication I can see with the logic that it's the Clayton CBD90  (90 tonne) as supplied to Port Talbot, is the statement by the manufacturer that it would also be at home with nuclear flasks.  The locos to be supplied to Sellafield by Clayton are the  80 tonne variants - CBD80.  I'm not sure if this means they are physically smaller, or if the weight difference is simply heavier plate used in their construction to give extra adhesion for the steelworks locos.....

• RMweb Gold
On 20/08/2020 at 10:25, 1whitemoor said:

Oh dear, I do hope the prototype choice is not as niche as many here are suggesting. If it is as per the above then I don't predict good sales at all... 

The hints of a new loco lead to the loco mentioned and if it is indeed that then the choice of prototype may be a commission for presentation models with license to produce too? Until KR confirm reveal where the hints actually lead who knows ;) 
Many years ago I worked on presentation models that were also prepped as a kit for RJH. The subsequent sale of the business for family reasons meant that never happened as I guess the buyer never finished the artwork as no new models were added after the sale or just didn’t feel it would sell.

On 20/08/2020 at 05:25, 1whitemoor said:

Perhaps - but given a total lack of modern models it might create a market.

And if it fails the (assumed) EOI process then little lost.

On 20/08/2020 at 05:25, 1whitemoor said:

My prediction/logical choice would be a standard 0-6-0 Hunslet DH, perhaps building on the research done by the N gauge society for their model.

Not exactly new or modern though in 2020 given its origin is the 1960s...

12 hours ago, mdvle said:

Not exactly new or modern though in 2020 given its origin is the 1960s...

Several have been rebuilt in recent years - though I agree, this bo bo thing is looking more the likely candidate. I'd have thought the Hunslet more logical, personally. 

Whether there is the demand for a modern bo bo industrial  shunting loco with very limited geographic appeal is rather more my point (and others it would seem). The Golden Valley Janus seems to be very heavily discounted by most retailers nowadays and this is a prototype which has a lot less going for it I think it's fair to say. 

Paul A. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, 1whitemoor said:

Several have been rebuilt in recent years - though I agree, this bo bo thing is looking more the likely candidate. I'd have thought the Hunslet more logical, personally.

But rebuilt does not equal modern looking - if the guesses are correct the new Clayton stuff looks modern as well as being modern.

Whether there is the demand for a modern bo bo industrial  shunting loco with very limited geographic appeal is rather more my point (and others it would seem).

Not sure how supposed poor sales of a 1950s loco means there is no market for a modern loco?

I would guess most of the industrial locos are used on fictional layouts, so lack of real prototypes isn't going to be as big a deal as with some other things.  And while fans of certain locos or manufacturers will disagree to a certain point (more with diesels than steam) one 0-6-0 looks like another - whereas the modern Clayton stuff looks very different.

The Golden Valley Janus seems to be very heavily discounted by most retailers nowadays and this is a prototype which has a lot less going for it I think it's fair to say.

Without knowing production numbers it is impossible to say if the Golden Valley Janus is a valid comparison or not - they simply may have made far too many models - and this something the KR build based on orders avoids.

Whether there is the demand for a modern bo bo industrial  shunting loco with very limited geographic appeal is rather more my point (and others it would seem). The Golden Valley Janus seems to be very heavily discounted by most retailers nowadays and this is a prototype which has a lot less going for it I think it's fair to say. 

Paul A. 

I think the GV Janus has just found it's natural price range. I reckon it's worth somewhere between £50 to £80.

It doesn't quite feel like it's a £100 model IMO.

And if someone wanted a better version and can build kits then you've always got the JE kit. 

Jason

• 3 months later...
4 hours ago, 1whitemoor said:

Has there been any further news on this or have KR reconsidered? 

Paul A. 

Nope, no reconsiderations. Just being patient with how we handle projects. Don't want to announce too much and spread ourselves too thin. Once the GT3 has been delivered, we should have more news on following projects.

• Like 8