Problem with Markits Romford 'deluxe' crankpins

97xx

I have found a few comments relating to the above where the thread on the crankpin isn't cut close enough to the boss to allow the threaded bush to be done up properly.

Having waited an eternity to receive them, it seems they're unusable. I am using the correct slotted Markits driver, and there is no doing them up 'a touch more'!

Looking at the attached, could anyone confirm that this is a known issue? In other words, I'm not missing something obvious am I?

Thanks

IMG_6848D.jpeg

• Friendly/supportive 1

Have come up with a solution that doesn't require sending back and more time wasted:

1. Bit of 20 SWG copper wire inserted into crankpin spinner, and cut to be just proud.
  2. Top hat slid onto wire and located onto prongs of spinner
  3. Counterbored with No. 1 centre drill (.125" shank, .047" dia pilot)

Top hat nuts now do down right onto crankpin boss.

(Sorry images not in right order... ...but you'll see the outcome)

IMG_6851D.jpeg

IMG_6853D.jpeg

IMG_6852D.jpeg

Edited by 97xx
Added size details for centre drill
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• RMweb Premium

I had this issue, thankfully not with all of them, and I like this solution.  Whatever you do, DON'T try and screw them too tightly, you will break the crankpin off.  (how do I know this...?)

I have also had a similar issue with the crankpin not screwing fully into the wheel.  Similarly this can be cured by counter-boring the wheel, and/or running a 10ba tap through the wheel, in case the thread isnt fully cut.

Cheers, Dave.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Not only has the producer a serious attitude problem, the product is not fit for purpose.

Why should we waste our time fixing something we have paid someone else to produce?

Edited by 97xx

While I sympathize with your minor inconvenience with these crank pins it's hardly worthy of a personal attack on the proprietor of the cottage industry who supplied them - a polite email requesting a replacement set is likely all that was required. 

The hobby would be all the poorer for it if suppliers such as this were to throw in the towel - something I'd think we can all agree on. 

Paul A. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

19 hours ago, JimRead said:

Hello 97xx,

I had some of these didn't like the way they worked. I used them on an 0 gauge little loco with old Hornby wheels, the crank pins screw into the threaded wheels and I Araldited two others into the plain bore ones.

I got some nuts slightly bigger than the thread and soldered them in using the old bits of paper idea, worked a  treat and so simple.

Cheers - Jim

Good point Jim - I have to say the top hats are a little deep for my liking and I too have eyed up my supply of 14BA nuts... 

I could try to shorten the top hats but that means another round of counterboring and this might end up with too few turns to be secure.

Most of my locos cost me less than a set of these crank pins.  I have used Triang coupling rod screws with small, 10ba ? washers for the past 30 odd years on Romford wheels.

Counter boring may work for the experts but I can guarantee I would destroy the nut, have the nut fly across the room never to be seen again, and drill a hole in my finger if I tried it.

• Agree 1

• 11 months later...

Hi all, reading through your comments has certainly answered a few questions I had of my own, in particular salvaging Sharman wheels with broken studs.

Recently purchased set of Gibson wheel crankpin screws, bushings and nuts only to find the nut slip on the screws hence no fastening. There is a thread form visible so I tried them on the Romford Super Deluxe Crankpins and to which they fit precisely, I can't find the thread size of the Romford product so I assume they are 14 BA. I'm aware looking at the dimensions they can be used together.

I've looked at the dimensions which doesn't explain why Gibson Nut don't work on a Gibson screw, Gibson screw is 0.95mm while the Romford is 0.98 Diameter. Physically it does explain that the Gibson 1mm nuts fit the 14BA screw.

Anyone have such problems and how did you solve it. I'm reluctant to contact Gibsons as his telephone manner is not what I expect from a customer focus business.

I have used on a number of occasions of many years these screws and nut without any problem which seem to have accrued in recent times.

Regards