Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Old-fashioned 00 - does anyone model in it?

• RMweb Gold

When Chris Ford created The Art of Compromise (based on a 1970s plan), he planned to operate it using stock from the time—basically the Airfix 14xx and auto coach. Not sure how that worked out—the BRM team later acquired the layout, though when it was at the Doncaster show in 2019, it wasn't operating.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

I've noticed a couple of references to MTK.  Several decades ago I picked up a couple of their coach kits for what I thought was a give-away price.  After several attempts to come to terms with the body shells (aluminium?) I began to understand the price, and gave up!  I think the term I would use now is 'scratch-aid'.

Regards,

Alex.

• 1 month later...
On 18/07/2020 at 13:26, Alex TM said:

Hi folks,

There is at least one thread on the forum dealing with 'old-fashioned' 0-gauge; despite searching I haven't been able to find anything similar in respect of 00.

Is it something that anybody models in or with?  I don't mean collections of three rail stock, or the wonderful Tri-ang collectors' layouts that I sometimes see at shows; rather, I am thinking about those who choose to model with items that were available before the early 1980s.

For example, would anyone choose to model British Rail of the late 1970s using only the stock available at the time (e.g. Tri-ang Met-Camm dmu, Hornby classes 25/37/47/HST)?

It's something that has appealed to me, so I am curious if it has appealed to anyone else.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Regards,

Alex.

This is something I've considered doing, well maybe picking up a few locos etc for old times sake. My earlierst memories of railway modelling were my dad's 70s and 80s stuff and looking at BR blue in 1980s Hornby catalogues so I'd be doing the whole "buying the things I had/wanted as a kid" thing that people do with old computers and Raleigh Choppers.

• Like 1