LMS 6-wheel XFISH van

4mm modelling isn’t my regular scale, so apologies if this is a silly question.

Can anyone advise me whether there is a kit available in 4mm scale for the LMS 6-wheel insulated ‘XFISH’ Van?  Etched brass would be preferred but plastic or even RTR would be okay.  Alternatively if anyone can direct me to a straightforward conversion kit of something similar...

Many thanks, asking for a friend.

Best regards

Chivers do a plastic kit for the Dia 2115 LMS Fish Van, here's an example:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/chivers-finelines-rc-436-lms-dia-2115-464932240

I'm not sure of the status of availability so you may need to look around.

There is a thread from Chivers on RMweb saying that production of kits is being restarted.

John

• Agree 1

Some of the LMS 6 wheeled vans appeared in white in the 60s  (see previous discussions on here) but as far as I can remember no-one managed to get to the bottom of whether they were retro-fitted with slab insulation or just painted the wrong colour. A clear photo showing the tare weight is yet to appear. 

• Like 1

Thanks folks, I will look at the Chivers product.  I assumed all fish fans were insulated!  The overnight Edinburgh-St Pancras sleeper conveyed a 6-wheeled van of fish as far as Nottingham, having originated at Aberdeen.  Is this likely to have been a different vehicle?

• Like 1

Just now, SebBarrow said:

Thanks folks, I will look at the Chivers product.  I assumed all fish fans were insulated!  The overnight Edinburgh-St Pancras sleeper conveyed a 6-wheeled van of fish as far as Nottingham, having originated at Aberdeen.  Is this likely to have been a different vehicle?

Chivers are re releasing there kits the fish van as not yet been put on sale

• Like 1

Dia 2115 was unusual in that it was built in the late 1940s at a time when I thought 6 wheeled vehicles were considered archaic.  The only other LMS Fish van kit that I know of is the 4 wheeled Dia 2059 available from Peco/Parkside:

https://anticsonline.uk/Product/Parkside-Kits-OO-LMS-6-Ton-Fish-Van-PC59_N105379981

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, brossard said:

Dia 2115 was unusual in that it was built in the late 1940s at a time when I thought 6 wheeled vehicles were considered archaic.

Well - the GWR-designed INSIXFISH was built by BR even later.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

Just now, cctransuk said:

Well - the GWR-designed INSIXFISH was built by BR even later.

John Isherwood.

The LMS-designed vans went to Departmental service by the early 1960s, lasting for two decades more transporting spares from the BREL works (mainly Crewe and Derby) to the larger diesel depots, such as Gateshead.

• Like 1

On 18/07/2020 at 14:45, brossard said:

Dia 2115 was unusual in that it was built in the late 1940s at a time when I thought 6 wheeled vehicles were considered archaic.  The only other LMS Fish van kit that I know of is the 4 wheeled Dia 2059 available from Peco/Parkside:

https://anticsonline.uk/Product/Parkside-Kits-OO-LMS-6-Ton-Fish-Van-PC59_N105379981

John

At risk of dragging the thread off-topic onto 4-wheeled LMS fish vans, Cambrian also offer the earlier (late 1920's iirc) D1885 

https://www.trainshop.co.uk/cambrian/5058-c87-lms-6ton-fish-van-d1885.html

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1