'T' Plate on rear of road trailers.

sigtech

Can anyone help, i've spent the afternoon searching the net for answers but to no avail.  I have a Coopercraft tanker trailer that I am assembling, -  It will hopefully become a pigs whey trailer, does anyone know what colour the 'T' plate on the L.H. side at the rear of the trailer would be?  also what time period was this plate valid/used for ( in UK road traffic history). Thanks.

Regards

SIGTECH.

Steve.

I think it was a red letter on a white backround. I always understood it was there to advise following traffic, that it was a  towed trailer, as opposed to an artic or rigid lorry rear. It predates the "Long Vehicle" warning signs we see today. I seem to recall that the letter had reflective studs for night time or poor visability. I may be wrong, but going out with my dad as his "mate" many years ago in the 50s, I believe he told me that. The "T" may have survived into the 60s possibly.  Have you searched the vintage/ commercial magazine folk? I'm sure they would know chapter and verse of such details.

Good luck and please let me know if I'm right or wrong. The memory gets a bit fuzzy, its an age thing!

Tod

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

It was a white letter on a black background same as number plates. The letter T however had a series of small red reflectors across the top bar and the upright about an inch apart. These reflectors were about the same size as those used on cats eyes. The number used depended upon the size of the T sign.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thank you both, gentlemen, for your prompt replies. Having now spent some more time 'digging' you appear to be both 'spot on', - looks like  it originally appeared around about 1937, and seems to be connected to the manufacturer 'DESMO'. The original remaining steel plates do appear on EBAY and sell for rediculous prices, to collectors and vintage car or lorry enthusiasts. - (£170 in mint condition.... - and in its original packaging - a brown paper bag)!!

Thanks for your help - i knew RMWEB would not let me down!!

Regards,

SIGTECH,

(Steve).

vintage-commercial-trailer-plate_360_725a5d6569a5706995da5d4f033614f0.jpg

Edited by sigtech
image found on the web
  • Like 4