Narrow gauge 00-12 loco wheels

I have bought a delightful 4mm Southwold loco which was initially designed for a Graham Fairish N gauge chassis, it now comes with an etched chassis and the option to build it to 12mm gauge, which sounded good

Where can I get some wheels its a 2-4-0t needing 2'6" drivers and 2' front wheels, both using 2mm axles. The likes of Gibson and Markits do not go down that small and have larger axles

Once the wheels have been solved thoughts on gears and motors would be welcome

Is there any older N gauge loco from which drivers could be salvaged? Something like the old Farish 94xx with coarse wheels springs to mind. 

Edited by PatB
  • Agree 1

As it happens I do have a dead Graham Fairish 0-6-0 chassis (no idea which one) that is in pieces, and I do have a couple of micro motors.

I was hoping for something more 4mm scale

Does anyone have an idea what those modelling UK 4mm scale 3' gauge use for wheels please

13 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

How about Sharman wheels? I've had a set of the 2'3" wheels off them since they became available again.

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/sharman-wheels/4mm-steam-locomotive-driving-wheels/2-3-3-9

Pete thanks, for spoked wheels I would have to go for either 3'3" or 2' 9" but the wheels would have to be bushed down to be able to accept 2 mm axles (the frame is too small to accept 1/8th bushes

Do these bushes exist please

Edited by hayfield

38 minutes ago, hayfield said:

As it happens I do have a dead Graham Fairish 0-6-0 chassis (no idea which one) that is in pieces, and I do have a couple of micro motors.

I was hoping for something more 4mm scale

Does anyone have an idea what those modelling UK 4mm scale 3' gauge use for wheels please

I think all Farish 0-6-0s were mechanically identical, at least during the Poole era. I wondered if cutting out alternate spokes would make them look more 4mm, in the same way that I've seen done, to good effect, to 00 wheels used for 0-16.5. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, alastairq said:

Is there anything suitable available via the 3mm scale society?

Thanks but I am not a member, but there is a company/chap who supplier 3 mm scale kits and parts. Trouble is Markits wheels do not go down to this size, plus axle size issues

Edited by hayfield

• RMweb Gold

I have bought one of these recently as well and you have made me aware of this issue as I had not looked too closely at the kit as yet.

I see on the Gibson catalog this which I wonder could be what we need?

4M68 10 x 1/8” to 2mm. bore reducing bearing/sleeve

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

How about Sharman wheels? I've had a set of the 2'3" wheels off them since they became available again.

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/sharman-wheels/4mm-steam-locomotive-driving-wheels/2-3-3-9

Now should I go for 2'3" or 2'9" as the 2'6" are disc wheels?

4 minutes ago, Asterix2012 said:

I have bought one of these recently as well and you have made me aware of this issue as I had not looked too closely at the kit as yet.

I see on the Gibson catalog this which I wonder could be what we need?

4M68 10 x 1/8” to 2mm. bore reducing bearing/sleeve

This would be a great benefit for the Sharman wheels

3 hours ago, hayfield said:

Pete thanks, for spoked wheels I would have to go for either 3'3" or 2' 9" but the wheels would have to be bushed down to be able to accept 2 mm axles (the frame is too small to accept 1/8th bushes

Do these bushes exist please

Some of the smaller Sharman wheels (including the ones I got) have 2mm axles, so you may be lucky. It should say on the page for the wheels. 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I found 10mm wheels listed in another section “the millimetre range”

https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/sharman-wheels/the-millimetre-rangea/the-millimetre-wheel-range-driving-wheels/sw-s400

trouble is they show out of stock

otherwise 2’9” give more clearance for a gear or 2’3”  are close enough for well worn tyres.

1 minute ago, pete_mcfarlane said:

Some of the smaller Sharman wheels (including the ones I got) have 2mm axles, so you may be lucky. It should say on the page for the wheels. 

Pete

Thanks this is a game changer, just out of interest which ones did you settle on ?

Now a pair of 8mm wheels are required

I've got a set of these: https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/sharman-wheels/4mm-steam-locomotive-driving-wheels/2-3-3-9/sw-s10

They're going to go under a Worsley Works Falcon tram engine (of the kind used on the Wantage Tramway). Despite all the warnings about quality on the Phoenix website, I can't see any issues with them.  I had a set of P4 ones - they seem to be out of stock of the OO/EM version though.

There's also these, although they have the Manning Wardle double boss: https://www.phoenix-paints.co.uk/products/sharman-wheels/4mm-steam-locomotive-driving-wheels/2-3-3-9/sw-m22