What flux for etched nickel silver kits?

I've decided to try my hand at making an etched nickel silver kit. I've done plenty of electrical / electronic soldering using multicore solder but from memory all the articles I've seen about etched kits seem to use separate flux. There seem to be a variety of fluxes available so which one is best for this purpose or will multicore be OK?

Edited by walrus
correct typo

My experience is that pretty much any flux will work.  I've tried various types and the results all seem to be the same, as far as I can tell.  My recommendation would be a non acid flux such as is available from Gaugemaster.  I used to use Carrs Green acid flux but the fumes are irritating.

I use uncored 60/40 solder which is equivalent to 188C.  Cored solder is not suitable for building etched kits.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I use Powerflo (thinned with water as Derek Mundy suggests and applied with a piece of wire or cocktail stick) and 145 solder with my temperature controlled iron set quite high.  Cleanliness of the surfaces to be soldered is a major factor in achieving good results. 

• Informative/Useful 1

15 hours ago, brossard said:

My experience is that pretty much any flux will work.  I've tried various types and the results all seem to be the same, as far as I can tell.  My recommendation would be a non acid flux such as is available from Gaugemaster.  I used to use Carrs Green acid flux but the fumes are irritating.

I use uncored 60/40 solder which is equivalent to 188C.  Cored solder is not suitable for building etched kits.

John

I use the Carrs red flux for non ferrous metals (green I use for steel as its much more aggressive) but as said most liquid fluxes are fine. I have some from London Road Models 12% which is excellent

• Informative/Useful 1

I use rosin cored solder for most non-ferrous metals excepting white metal. I do use acidic fluxes on areas that are difficult to clean because the acid, when heated, cleans the surface. So, for the structural parts of a chassis, rosin, and the details like brakes etc acid. In the latter the flux is applied by a cocktail stick.

• Informative/Useful 1

Phosphoric acid is commonly used in organic fluxes, but perhaps Carr's are using an organic acid (eg citric acid) instead as the activator. However I suspect the Red is just a diluted version of the Green, to be used when a less aggressive flux is required, eg for whitemetal.

• RMweb Premium

I use Carr's Green labLe.  It is an "active" flux and the residue may be corrosive and should be cleaned, but that's not difficult and is more than made up for by the fact that it is an extremely reliable flux that works well.  I haven't been troubled by any fumes it produces.  As it says on the Phoenix website: "Our biggest seller and for most modellers the flux they instinctively turn to.  It is suitable for use with steel, but not stainless steel, Copper, Brass, nickel silver and similar alloys".  Every bit as important as the flux, of course, is the solder - don't get lead free!

DT

Edited by Torper
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Nickel silver solders REALLY easily - I'd' be happy to pay a little extra for more kits to be made from it. I use this stuff at present - http://www.7mmlocomotives.co.uk//index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=shop.flypage&product_id=1&category_id=1&manufacturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=52&vmcchk=1&Itemid=52

Before that I used DCC Concepts Sapphire but that needs a bit more effort with cleaning afterwards (it says no clean but that's a lie ;)).