Inter City 125 - 1979 - Class 253 HST - Service Motor

regme

Hi

I have this motor and would like to have a go at cleaning it up, it seems I have to pulll the wheels apart to pull the motor apart. I was going to use a gear puller, however I'm not sure which wheel comes off,

If anyone can enlighten me that would great.

Cheers

IMG_5406.JPG

IMG_5407.JPG

• RMweb Premium

I would say that the ones with the plastic inserts will be the ones that will yield first, but looking at the inserts they look to have a fair few cracks in them, so they are probably not holding onto the axle much at the minute anyway. You may find that they won't grip when you come to re-mantle them... Might be worth getting a spare pair...

Andy G

• Agree 2

Insert a flat bladed screwdriver between the solid metal wheels (as shown in your second photo) and the metal chassis block and twist. The axle should disengage from the plastic centred wheel. If you try the other side you risk damaging the plastic gear on the inside of the wheel. 

Agree with Andy G above - the plastic looks like its cracking and the axles are rusting. The wheels are part no X6023. When you come to re-assemble the motor use some switch cleaning solvent or IPA to clean the brass tube that the axle sits in, then apply a tiny drop of PowerLube (Peco) to the axles, it will stop corrosion and help transfer power to the chassis block. Plenty of cleaning videos on Youtube, although there have been a few variants of Ringfield motor over the years the basic dismantling process is the same.

Edited by Amand
Can't spell!

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, uax6 said:

But don't used WD40, it will kill the surrounding plastic....

Andy G

Quite likely that is the problem with OP's originals!

Thanks for that, I'll see if I can hunt down the wheels first, because knowning me I'll break them when I try to remove them.

CD motor option sounds interesting, will look into that.

Cheers