Freiwald Traincontroller

Andymsa

Andy, we are still within the EU for trading and WTO (not WHO :) ) terms will not start until 1st Jan '21 - or if we are lucky never. But the the point is at the moment discretionary pricing is not allowed within the EU, though variations to account for national taxes is permitted.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Ouroborus said:

Just a thought I had about this.  There was comment about software being exempt from this legislation.  But he doesn't sell you software, he sell you a hard physical product on which is a computer program.  Is this any different to any other physical item that contains computer code?

That's what software is!

1 hour ago, ahellary said:

there is no program on the stick but you need the stick for the program to work so i dont think that counts

The license code could arguably be classed as software as in itself it exists in digital form.

Software can be delivered to the end user either contained on a physical device e.g. disk or USB stick etc. or by electronic communication e.g. digital download.

42 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Andy, we are still within the EU for trading and WTO (not WHO :) ) terms will not start until 1st Jan '21 - or if we are lucky never. But the the point is at the moment discretionary pricing is not allowed within the EU, though variations to account for national taxes is permitted.

oops spell check at work WHO/ WTO. 

Then Would not herr freiwald be in breach of the selling cost to the uk and as per shirlebasm,s post on discrimination to an existing EU trading partner apply, as advised by her legal advice.

Edited by Andymsa

8 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

I think that the issue around selling across the EU is if the exemption for copyrighted material is applicable to software. Perhaps @Shirleybasm will be able to advise us on this (if she progresses her legal case).

But he is not allowed to stop you from purchasing the program for say Germany, even if you live in the UK. 

"Where a trader has several country versions of the same website, such as a webshop selling products to different countries across the EU, you should be able to choose to view which version you visit. You must give your permission to be redirected to a specific country version of the website. You should also be able to change your choice at any time."

Even though it refers to web shops, I'm pretty sure that just the country choices on his website fall under this, even if the price difference is then said to be because of postage of the USB stick, then you should be able to just use a mail forwarding address to save paying 847 dollars and just pay 499 euros. 

Quite often I buy from Amazon.es or Amazon.de etc and get mail redirected via a mail forwarding service to get a better deal.

• Like 2

On 25/07/2020 at 22:51, melmerby said:

That's what software is!

The license code could arguably be classed as software as in itself it exists in digital form.

Software can be delivered to the end user either contained on a physical device e.g. disk or USB stick etc. or by electronic communication e.g. digital download.

Thanks.  I understand what software is. 

The point I was making seems to have caused you some confusion.  In your own post from Friday, you did distinguish between software and "the stick"

I can purchase software as a digital download and all the happens is a series of 1s and 0s changes sequence on my computer.  Or I can purchase software on a physical device.  The physical device contains the instructions to change the 1s and 0s.   Once installed, they're both the same.

In this instance, the physical device, the USB stick is essential for the software to work.  Without the physical device, the software doesn't work.  In short, whilst software may be exempted from EU law, hardware such as this USB stick, isn't.

Edited by Ouroborus

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ouroborus said:

n short, whilst software may be exempted from EU law, hardware such as this USB stick, isn't.

But Freiwald, would probably argue that he is selling you something copyrighted (the license code on the stick) but for ease of transfer of the goods "gives" you the memory device containing it.

I suspect he is more in tune with the EU law regarding his sales than we are, as he probably has had his Lawyers look into the legality (or not) of his mode of selling.

• Agree 1

Just been looking at the eu law on online selling, looking at the rules herr freiwald would have to sell to you if you selected another country than the one you reside in if that item was sent to that country. That’s my interpretation of the regulation.

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Andymsa said:

Just been looking at the eu law on online selling, looking at the rules herr freiwald would have to sell to you if you selected another country than the one you reside in if that item was sent to that country. That’s my interpretation of the regulation.

That seems logical, so just get it sent to Uncle François in Paris and he can post it on.:)

On 24/07/2020 at 12:18, pohlmannx said:

In each failing scenario stick A is a common factor.

In each failing scenario B2 is a common factor.

It can be concluded that A and B2 do not work together. However, I cannot conclude whether this is only due to A, or only due to B2 or both.

you appear to only work on assumptions and not hard facts. You have not observed the the effect on a pc screen and what actually occurs. I have reported the tests done but because it works on a previous version I believe that herr freiwald cannot get past this and can’t accept the issue as it is

Finally it looks like Herr Friewald has found/admitted theres an issue and a fix will be comming in due cource

shame it too so much "discussions" with Shirley to actually agree that there was an issue   tho  it must be said not with the stick its self as was stated many times but Herr Friewald did have a lot more information than us poor users

but at least theres light at the end of the tunnel for Shirley

• Agree 1

Perhaps Freiwald has been reading this thread (and responding ;) ) and seen how low his esteem is in the UK and he has decided to bow to the pressures and fix the issue?

You never know, he might even drop the price for the UK in the same way that he has done for the USA - but then again as we are still leaving the EU he probably won’t :(

4 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

Perhaps Freiwald has been reading this thread (and responding ;) ) and seen how low his esteem is in the UK and he has decided to bow to the pressures and fix the issue?

You never know, he might even drop the price for the UK in the same way that he has done for the USA - but then again as we are still leaving the EU he probably won’t :(

i do get the feeling this thread did have something to do with his decision

as for the price it doesnt really effect me as i have already purchased it .. unless he brings out a new version and then i would concider my options as what id do as as it stands it almost does what i want amd with a workaround i can get it to do every thing i want need so unless there was a huge change to things that i can do in a roundabout way im not sure what id do as yet i havent run into any bugs that stop me dead unlike poor Shirley

• RMweb Gold

For those who do not have access to the RR&Co forum, here's the message that's been posted -

Post subject: Railroad & Co. 9.0B2: Problems,Restrictions,Workarounds

Post Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:00 pm 

Symptom:
The program is terminated unexpectedly at the start and without an error message.

Resolution:
Bug. This problem only occurs from version 9.0B1 and only if a license code is entered or a USB stick with a license code is inserted. It also happens very rarely. So far, very few cases have been reported to us.

The problem occurs in the component for evaluating license information if this information contains a certain pattern. Such a pattern causes this problem on every computer that is running the latest 9.0B2 update. It can also occur with license codes that are entered manually and are not stored on a stick.

The problem has existed since the last update of that component, which is also used in the last updates of our software. For this reason the problem did not occur in earlier versions of our software.

Note:
 Attention: Cases in which the software issues the message that the stick is not recognized have other causes (stick not inserted, data on the stick deleted, stick defective, etc.)! This article, however, refers to a problem that has nothing to do with the stick itself. 

Workaround:
If this problem occurs, use an earlier version of our software that works with your license code or USB stick for the time being.

We expect a fix for the next update.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, melmerby said:

It's the past participle, we have left the EU.

But we haven't left the trading zone and the EU legislation still applies which I what I was referring to :)

and you never know, we *may* still have favourable trading terms with the EU next year, but then again ...

the thing is and maybe this isnt the right thread ... that if Herr Friwald released some basic information on what was updated  on each minor update, the end user would have a better idea if the update was needed by them, so they could make an informed decision of install or  not to install the update we dont really know what the difference for instance v b1 and v b2 .. so we have no idea if there is anything we should check or  to leave the update  as there is no gain for a particular person

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, ahellary said:

the thing is and maybe this isnt the right thread ... that if Herr Friwald released some basic information on what was updated  on each minor update, the end user would have a better idea if the update was needed by them, so they could make an informed decision of install or  not to install the update we dont really know what the difference for instance v b1 and v b2 .. so we have no idea if there is anything we should check or  to leave the update  as there is no gain for a particular person

He tells us not to install any updates. They are only for new users.

If that is the case, why have any updates?

The recommendation is self defeating, because they must be done for a reason and the reason might be a problem you have come across but have found a less than satisfactory workaround.

I know a bug, which I assume is in Train Animator which I have reproduced in several versions and have done it on several different PCs but Herr Freiwald wouldn't accept it.

It's to do with memory handling when loading images into Train Animator.

A Fatal Exception occurs if you use a very large folder for the images to be imported from, which already has lots of other various types of files in and Windows 10 and 7 crash with a BSOD.

I got around the problem by setting up a seperate folder with the jpg images for TA to import, then it's happy.

• Informative/Useful 1

3 hours ago, melmerby said:

He tells us not to install any updates. They are only for new users.

If that is the case, why have any updates?

The recommendation is self defeating, because they must be done for a reason and the reason might be a problem you have come across but have found a less than satisfactory workaround.

I know a bug, which I assume is in Train Animator which I have reproduced in several versions and have done it on several different PCs but Herr Freiwald wouldn't accept it.

A Fatal Exception occurs if you use a very large folder for the images to be imported from, which already has lots of other various types of files in and Windows 10 and 7 crash with a BSOD.

I got around the problem by setting up a seperate folder with the jpg images for TA to import, then it's happy.

now thats interesting as ive had the same issue but .. it really didnt bother me as i dont find the loco images useful as one black steam loco loos like another black steam loco ..i just use the cab numbers

10 hours ago, melmerby said:

Application code should not be able to crash windows, that is a basic tenant of the operating system. A total Windows crash is caused by a bug within Windows itself or more likely a bug in a device driver that is being exposed by the application. Crash information should have been recorded in the system or application event log and either you or Herr Friewald should report it to Microsoft with relevant information as they are the only people who could fix it. 

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, NickC said:

Application code should not be able to crash windows, that is a basic tenant of the operating system. A total Windows crash is caused by a bug within Windows itself or more likely a bug in a device driver that is being exposed by the application. Crash information should have been recorded in the system or application event log and either you or Herr Friewald should report it to Microsoft with relevant information as they are the only people who could fix it. 

Really?

At least 3 different computers (maybe more) with two different operating systems (various versions of each) with all the variation in drivers for completely different hardware.(Gigabyte, MSI, and others)

AMD processors, Intel Processors, Intel, AMD & nVidia graphics processors, different port drivers etc. etc.

Also Train Animator is the only program to have done that.

Applications - especially graphics applications - have been crashing operating systems for many years though as hardware performance has improved the incidence has reducers dramatically.

When graphics processors were slow, and especially ones that were onboard using shared memory pools, programmers did direct access to the registers to enable decent animation. This often caused programs to crash if  attempts were made to write to memory that was already in use. 

There is little need to do this now as the APIs are there to avoid this and hardware is sufficiently powerful to avoid the need for direct manipulation. However there are still old programs around that use these techniques and programs that use old, inefficient API calls or out of date DLLs.