Coaches used on seaside days out

Downer

• RMweb Premium

Was there any standard policy in the 1950s when it came to which coaches were used for day trips to the seaside. Like, for example, a day out from Bedford to Southend.  All thirds and brake thirds perhaps, or did they make allowances for the odd toff family?  Or was it just whatever stock was at hand?

I think if you find any book covering this period you'll see that seaside specials were more often than not a mix of whatever was sitting around available. I gather that the better examples of a lot of older stock for various reasons was hoarded close to end of life and created into seaside rakes that got used during the season in question. 

I've just been reading a book part of which covers Leicester Belgrave Road. Some of the seaside stock is older tourist opens. Certainly at the end of the 50s there were some glorious combinations to be had on all regions' trains to the seaside! 

Regards 

Guy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Main carriage shed in those days had acres of sidings occupied by stock which only got used very occasionally, and the oldest stock out on the back roads might have only turned a wheel once annually on August Bank Holidays.  Seaside excursions required high density stock, and non-gangwayed compartment coaches were not uncommon.  On the WR, there seemed to be a general principle that toiled facilities and therefore gangwayed stock should be provided on any journey booked to take more than 2 hours, but I have seen a photo somewhere of an Ebbw Vale-Barry Island Bank Holiday excursion passing Cogan Jc, two Valleys 5 coach Collett non-gangwayed sets hauled, manfully, by an Ebbw Jc 2251, routed via Aberbeeg, Ebbw Jc, and Cardiff General; I bet that took more than 2 hours to get to Barry Island.  

This was in the days of the Tredegar-Barry Island excursions which usually featured a G2 with a tender cab and ex-LMS non-gangwayed compartment stock.  This train routed via Bird In Hand Jc and the Pontypool-Neath road to Ystrad Mynach in the Rhymni Valley, thence to Aber Jc, Penrhos, and the Barry Rly route over Walnut Tree Viaduct and Tyn-y-Caeau Jc to the Barry Main line, Wenvoe Tunnel, and Cadoxton Jc.  I bet that took more than 2 hours as well!

Taking Barry Island as an example, ABH meant a continual flow of excursions over the causeway, and ecs back, reversed for the late afternoon homeward journey.  By and large, trains starting within the Newport Division were non-gangwayed compartment stock, full to the rafters, and trains from further afield were gangwayed mostly ex-GW and very much the scrapings of Tyesely, or Oxley, or Worcester, this area being the origin of the bulk of such trains; Barry Island was the nearest seaside to the West Midlands, along with Weston Super Mare which attracted similar traffic but with more of an LMR input, In both cases, locomotive provision was 'anything that could turn a wheel'; 43xx, Granges, Manors, Halls, Castles, Counties, BR 5MTs and 4MTs, Brits, 9Fs.  Local traffic featured any type of locally available loco with a vacuum brake, but a preponderance of 56xx, which Aberdare would polish up for the day.

At Porthcawl, matters were similar but with a smaller proportion of local traffic.  Porthcawl had big caravan sites which Barry did not, and thus was less focussed on day-tripper traffic; 'miner's fortnights' were the bread and butter here.  Barry Island post steam had a big Butlitz camp, but this organised it's own charter trains.

• Like 1

Re the Brynmawr - Barry Island Sunday excursions: photos taken in the last few years of operation show a pair of ex-LMS open brake seconds in blood and custard and four assorted ex-GW suburbans.

As for Downer's original question, what we really need is a carriage working programme or weekly notice for the period in question.  These documents are probably rarer than rocking horse dung.

Chris 

The LNER used to relocate its London suburban quad-arts to Nottingham and the West Riding on summer weekends so that they could be used by trippers to the east coast seaside resorts. I'm not sure when this practice ended, but I would guess around the late 50s early 60s. 

The story has been told before, but one Working Men's Club arranged for a full brake to be marshalled in the middle of the train to allow the steward to set up the barrells for the free bar on their annual visit to the coast........

• Like 1

Finding suitable coaching stock was often difficult and anything that would roll would often be employed. This included compartment suburban stock, sometimes over quite long distances. Since these did not have lavatories, it could be a very long way indeed, especially on the return if the participants had spent much of their time in the pub!

That is why most sensible people bought an evening paper on their way back to the station. Rolled up and pointed out through the compartment door window (suitably lowered) was the way to do it, or so I am told. 

I think it was an essay by Virginia Woolf, where she describes how useful this procedure could be for women. Mind you, I suspect she was in a 'ladies only' 1st class carriage, and most likely travelling on her own. 

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, doilum said:

The story has been told before, but one Working Men's Club arranged for a full brake to be marshalled in the middle of the train to allow the steward to set up the barrells for the free bar on their annual visit to the coast........

Presumably the rest of the train was corridor stock...

21 hours ago, billbedford said:

The LNER used to relocate its London suburban quad-arts to Nottingham and the West Riding on summer weekends so that they could be used by trippers to the east coast seaside resorts. I'm not sure when this practice ended, but I would guess around the late 50s early 60s. 

Can't say I remember for sure if I travelled in non corridor stock, but have the impression I didn't, on days out to the coast before my parents had their own car around 1963-4