Repeated non paying bidder: sobe4612

simon b

1 minute ago, MartinWales said:

A thought has just struck me.....what if he reads this Forum?

If he does then perhaps his side of what is going on may be useful

I did have a buyer who asked me to wait two weeks till pay day, as he had overextended himself, not a problem he paid eventually. 

1 minute ago, hayfield said:

I did have a buyer who asked me to wait two weeks till pay day, as he had overextended himself, not a problem he paid eventually. 

I had one of those recently John!

Offered half of what the B-I-N price was ank asked me to wait 16 days for payment

You can guess what my answer was.....:mocking_mini:

I had one of those recently John!

Offered half of what the B-I-N price was ank asked me to wait 16 days for payment

You can guess what my answer was.....:mocking_mini:

Martin

Mine won an auction bid so was the highest bidder

I have stopped stupid offers, I set my auction starting prices at the minimum I will accept, I also set the "make me an offer price" at the minimum I would close the auction for. Simple enough which saves disappointments both ways 

1 minute ago, hayfield said:

Martin

Mine won an auction bid so was the highest bidder

I have stopped stupid offers, I set my auction starting prices at the minimum I will accept, I also set the "make me an offer price" at the minimum I would close the auction for. Simple enough which saves disappointments both ways 

I have done that for a long period of time myself, but with two exceptions, including the above, have had offers which were 85-90% of the BIN price

I have done that for a long period of time myself, but with two exceptions, including the above, have had offers which were 85-90% of the BIN price

I have a few times done that when I feel the stating price is a bit high, offering less than the starting price. But the sellers thought differently both times.

On 19/07/2020 at 19:12, simon b said:

As we cant leave negative feedback for these people, I've left the usual "positive" comments on his profile.

1245759361_Screenshot(111).png.e618d4e9990790243e0004d884f1a645.png

At least you're able to leave comments.

My current non-payer 'Scooty-Boy' has made his feedback profile private. No contact from him either after four messages. I thought he might be ill (gave him the benefit of the doubt), but when I saw he'd made his feedback private, I doubt it. So I'll leave this feedback here!

️NO PAYMENT OR CONTACT, AVOID THIS !

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 19.12.52.png

• Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, 'CHARD said:

I like the feedback comment 'I had to relish,' which I assume means the seller squirted tomato ketchup over the non-payer.

Auto-correct can be a bit of a custard sometimes

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 8

On 23/07/2020 at 19:12, hayfield said:

I had a buyer from the west coast of Australia who if he saw something I had listed would request that I hold onto it and as he was a pensioner would I please await his next pension day for payment.  He always paid up on pension day but a check of his purchases in that month showed a regular twenty or more purchases each month and that he was paying everyone else on time as reflected in the feedback he received.  I did not mind waiting for payment but felt that I was being used by him as he was OK paying others on time.

I have reached a point where I am considering threatening permanently banning a buyer if they have not paid on time or at the very least contacted me either before the purchase or immediately after to arrange a suitable payment date.  Most buyers pay within minutes of a purchase or request a combined invoice.  However, there are those who game the system.  The trouble is if you get too "heavy" in your rules then you get some one who just wants to be an idiot.

EBay will not intervene and suspend a troublesome buyer who bids but does not pay unless he has failed to pay an insane number of times over a six month period.  The seller is totally unaware of the bidder or buyer's past history due eBay's overly protective privacy rules.  Similarly,  as I have found lately with several low value purchases,  if a seller fails to deliver and a dispute is raised then the seller will simply respond,  repay the amount paid and miraculously any evidence of the transaction vanishes from your account.   Sellers who sell mostly very inexpensive items take your payment and then rely on you not bothering to make a claim.  Thus they pocket the money.  If you claim then they pay up.  The jilted buyer who is refunded is left unable to post feedback on the transaction as eBay deletes the purchase from your account.  If the seller is a repeat offender then eBay does not ban him,  they simply increase the fees that he has to pay for each sale.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Mel_H said:

At least you're able to leave comments.

My current non-payer 'Scooty-Boy' has made his feedback profile private. No contact from him either after four messages. I thought he might be ill (gave him the benefit of the doubt), but when I saw he'd made his feedback private, I doubt it. So I'll leave this feedback here!

️NO PAYMENT OR CONTACT, AVOID THIS !

Screen Shot 2020-07-24 at 19.12.52.png

Thanks for the warning, I've banned him as well.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, GWR-fan said:

the seller is a repeat offender then eBay does not ban him,  they simply increase the fees that he has to pay for each sale.

Surprise surprise, it all comes down to money.

Good old eBay, the site for the avoidance of morals and ethics.

Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Guest Jack Benson

The other type of bidder is the 'fraudster' , one of which I recently encountered.

Despite sending the item double-boxed and extremely well protected by first class recorded delivery, he claimed that it was damaged and demanded a 50% refund but submitted images of a completely different item to support his claim - eBay rejected his claim.

Within 24hrs he submitted a second claim of non-delivery of goods, this was rather surprising given his first claim, thankfully Royal Mail's tracking system not only provides confirmation of delivery and a scanable image of the recepient's signature.  The tracking number, scanned signature and messages were sent to eBay plus a report of 'attempted fraud by buyer'  eBay again, rejected his claim.

The outcombe was predictable as it was libellous, surprisingly eBay did not remove his feedback until I had submitted a 'defamation statement' with a letter from our solicitor - the feedback was summarily removed.

As he seems to be the litigious type and as a precaution, we have kept all his messages, Royal Mail's proof of delivery, the 'defamation' statement and a recording of his appalling 'anonymous' phone-call received at 22:30.

eBay continue to protect the buyer and to allow him to trade - username teddy6060_0

Stay Safe and Be Careful

4 hours ago, simon b said:

Thanks for the warning, I've banned him as well.

Me too. I have been 'thinning down' what I have collected over the years with the intention of using it all at some stage but the reality is, I wont. 

Thanks for the heads up on this. :good:

• Like 1

Given that the buyer is well aware that in general eBay will side with him in a dispute,  it is not surprising that there are those who want to gain the system.  My recent experience with a buyer claiming that an item was damaged three weeks after taking delivery of the locomotive,  citing that he wanted to "keep the damage between us fellow modellers,  rather than putting it in his feedback" to me was an extortion attempt.  However,  I have many other items to sell and did not wish my selling record to be soiled by an apparent scammer,  so I paid him a handsome compensation to let it go away.  In a normal world this is blackmail,  but on eBay it seems that it is business as usual.

Bidders and buyers perhaps need to look back to pre-internet days when for many their only access to secondhand goods was through their local model railway shop and prices were not inexpensive.  Swap meets of cause were relatively common in the UK back then but not so common in the rest of the world. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

My recent experience with a buyer claiming that an item was damaged three weeks after taking delivery of the locomotive,  citing that he wanted to "keep the damage between us fellow modellers,  rather than putting it in his feedback" to me was an extortion attempt.  However,  I have many other items to sell and did not wish my selling record to be soiled by an apparent scammer,  so I paid him a handsome compensation to let it go away.  In a normal world this is blackmail,  but on eBay it seems that it is business as usual.

Unfortunately all this has achieved is encourage him to carry on his little scams.

23 minutes ago, polybear said:

Unfortunately all this has achieved is encourage him to carry on his little scams.

I can assure you that he may have done it once too often but not anymore with me.  He has made my list of those who will not be given a second chance.