NCE Powercab programming track query.

Jeepy

Hello, 

It's me with another question! 

I have a headshunt on my layout (OO gauge) with both running rails isolated from the main layout but with droppers soldered in via the NCE auto switch wired according to the diagram, the programming track works fine when the Powercab is in programming track mode and it switches off the main layout etc as it should no problems. 

When the powercab is in normal use playing trains etc the headshunt is dead hence i can't drive a loco onto it, should i be wiring a switch in somewhere to liven it up while in 'normal' operation so i can switch it off after driving a loco onto it before going into program track mode please? If so, is there a way to wire it through one switch as there is obviously two rails that need livening up with seperate polarity for feed and return isn't there? I hope someone can make sense of what I'm asking! Lol! Thanks ever so much! 

Best wishes, 

Jim. 

P. S. I'm thinking maybe a double pole double throw on/off switch wired correctly would keep the two rails different poles seperate but switch them both on and off at the same time perhaps? I'm no electrician so only guessing! 

Edited by Jeepy
Added text.

• RMweb Premium

I have a siding with a double pole three way switch.  One way has the siding powered with DCC as per the rest of the layout.  One way has it as the programming track, the third position is centre off.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, ColinK said:

I have a siding with a double pole three way switch.  One way has the siding powered with DCC as per the rest of the layout.  One way has it as the programming track, the third position is centre off.

Ah! So i do need to wire in a switch..... Thank you! I was at first presuming the auto switch did all that, (Thinking that was the whole point of it!!) doh! 

Best wishes, 

Jim. 

See how NCE recommend wiring up the Auto-SW and a dedicated programming siding.

https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/200551449/Auto-SW_Live_Program_Track.pdf

No need to wire in any double pole x way switches. The Auto-SW does that for you.

image.jpeg.60a07c459a030cd8fd859fdad1a98000.jpeg

Edited by Ron Ron Ron
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Ron Ron Ron said:

See how NCE recommend wiring up the Auto-SW and a dedicated programming siding.

https://ncedcc.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/article_attachments/200551449/Auto-SW_Live_Program_Track.pdf

No need to wire in any double pole x way switches. The Auto-SW does that for you.

image.jpeg.60a07c459a030cd8fd859fdad1a98000.jpeg

Ooer! That's what i thought it was supposed to do! Lol! Thanks for the diagram Ron, my diagram isn't to hand now, I've locked my shed up but I'm sure those extra 'jumper' wires aren't shown on it, so it seems the auto switch does do the work for you in that configuration! Gee! Great! Thanks again, 

Best wishes, 

Jim. 

• Thanks 1