What was the "Fresh Air Express"?

Jim Martin

Hi

I've been going through a 2006 issue of the"Freightmaster" freight timetable book, looking at services on the WCML between Warrington and Carlisle.

There's a pair of EWS-operated trains, the 4M41 05:35 Mossend-Daventry and the 4S46 19:15 Daventry-Mossend, which are described as "fresh air express"; and I'm wondering why.

Presumably, being class 4 trains means that they're intermodal (Enterprise freights ran as class 6) and I wondered if they might be trains that ran as empty flatcars because of unbalanced flows from north to south. If that was the case, though, why is there a train in each direction?

Can anyone tell me what was special about these trains and where the name came from? Thanks

Jim

15 hours ago, Jim Martin said:

Hi

I've been going through a 2006 issue of the"Freightmaster" freight timetable book, looking at services on the WCML between Warrington and Carlisle.

There's a pair of EWS-operated trains, the 4M41 05:35 Mossend-Daventry and the 4S46 19:15 Daventry-Mossend, which are described as "fresh air express"; and I'm wondering why.

Presumably, being class 4 trains means that they're intermodal (Enterprise freights ran as class 6) and I wondered if they might be trains that ran as empty flatcars because of unbalanced flows from north to south. If that was the case, though, why is there a train in each direction?

Can anyone tell me what was special about these trains and where the name came from? Thanks

Jim

I can easily imagine that the South-bound working might be lightly loaded, or even be a train of empty boxes. Otherwise, the only thing I can think of is that they are running empty to maintain the FOC's paths in both directions, in anticipation of future growth. It may be that, if the FOC doesn't use the paths for a given period, then they have to surrender them to Network Rail, allowing competitors to bid for them.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Apparently Eddie Stobart in the early says established his business carrying new, empty tin cans to breweries for filling with beer, and was quite proud of building a business transporting canned fresh air.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

Apparently Eddie Stobart in the early says established his business carrying new, empty tin cans to breweries for filling with beer, and was quite proud of building a business transporting canned fresh air.

Cans full of of fresh air in one direction - then returned full of polluted carbon dioxide,I guess !

• RMweb Gold

In the US, BNSF ran empty intermodal or “bare table” trains around the system in times of slow traffic.  It was seen as rolling storage and saved them time and resources in getting them back into traffic when times got better.

• Informative/Useful 2

On 20/07/2020 at 17:21, The Johnster said:

Dylan Thomas' wonderful 'Under Milk Wood' refers to the sound of a train carrying holes to Swansea.

You sure about that?  I don't recall it, and searching through the text the only mention of Swansea that turns up is a briefly-mentioned character called Billy Swansea.  There's no mention of trains, or holes, in the entire text, as far as I can see.  That said, I believe there have been a number of versions/adaptations of the work, and the original manuscript was lost (by Thomas himself, who left it in a pub!) so more than happy to be proved wrong.

Edited by ejstubbs

I always thought it was the "Gatwick Express".

About 8 passengers per 8 car set most of the time (before lockdown) - or at least thats what it looked like as they thunder through the often dangerously overcrowded platforms at East Croydon.

15 hours ago, Jim Martin said:

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Modelling a lightly-loaded container train might be quite an interesting project. There's a lot of exposed underframe gubbins on container wagons.

Jim

& on that point have you ever seen a container train with every space filled up? If I have, I can't remember it.

It is usual for a few container bays to be empty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pete the Elaner said:

& on that point have you ever seen a container train with every space filled up? If I have, I can't remember it.

It is usual for a few container bays to be empty.

The train from Spain to Dagenham is invariably full; so are many of the trains from the container ports to the terminals around the UK. Sadly, the 'export' trains are often very lightly loaded, and even when there are boxes, they may well be empty. There was a considerable traffic in scrap and 'recycling' to China, but ,of late, the Chinese have rightly become very picky about what they'll take.

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Jim Martin said:

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Modelling a lightly-loaded container train might be quite an interesting project. There's a lot of exposed underframe gubbins on container wagons.

Jim

I’m looking forward to getting Ravensclyffe up and running again this week, should be the first opportunity to get my 25set of Bachmann Freightliner wagons out. Always loved seeing a completely empty set of flats, or even better just a single box right at the back 

Andi