Anyone Know what this is

1 hour ago, Ian Morgan said:

Well, they appear to be check rails, but we would need to see the other side of the track to work out why they would be needed there.

That's the problem, I didn't photo the rest - what a plonker. I know it is at the Strasshoff museum site nr Vienna.

B

They look like incredibly short switch-blades, and one of those in the wider view shows such a sharp kink that it must surely be hinged - but the one in the zoomed-in view appears continuous, no break in the rail head. 

Is it just extreme foreshortening that is making them look impossible?

8 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Doesn't work at all well on Google Maps - I've tried it.

There are probably higher resolution satellite views somewhere on the web but they tend to be for obscure purposes that only locals might think of. Where I live I found a website intended to help align TV dishes with the various transmitting dishes and it offers a resolution several times higher than Google's best.

On 22/07/2020 at 00:57, Jeremy C said:

They are check rails for dual gauge. Here is a picture showing what the whole thing presumably looks like, although this example is from Australia rather than Austria.

Dual-gauge

show

Interesting. Is that in Victoria? Being in WA I'm familiar with 3'6"/4'81/2" dual gauge trackwork, but it's never really occurred to me that VR would need 4'81/2"/5'Whatever formations for through running with neighbouring States. Obvious really, now it's been pointed out.

• Informative/Useful 1