Bowers Row, British Oak and other Pepper/Hargreaves locomotives

The 3F is now fully Pepperised, with the extra sand box that it ran with at British Oak. The sand box may have come off a Hudswell Clarke that worked there and was scrapped in 1967.

Avonside-018.jpg.4a971766868bbb692bb71cb4e27bb5e3.jpg.

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

52 minutes ago, Corbs said:

Hi Dave, what orange did you use for the tanks and bunker? I'd like to redo my Bachmann one having seen it.

I mixed it myself. Humbrol 100 and whatever Humbrol yellow I happened to have. 154 or something, I think.

Another British Oak locomotive is finished. It's a renumber of 08243 that I bought second hand, from ebay. It's got the right sort of door panels ad hinges for 08016 but until it arrived I didn't know that it hasn't got the battery(?) box at the other side, which 08016 had. I'll just have to view it from this side only.

I've done it in pre-1985 condition, before the repaint into dark blue. Apart from the renumbering I've changed the hand rails at the front and have removed the centre marker light under the radiator. I have of course weathered it.08016oo-004.jpg.016a995d745732097a28153c411f1d6a.jpg

08016oo-005.jpg.5864df4fb17ef860361473be4e9c893a.jpg

• Like 8

Hi it's a box for the vacuum brake exhauster - first batches had one on both sides then some later batches had only one on the left. Later of course with air brakes they were added, changed etc as required but the loco spotter book for 1976 says yours was vacuum only at that time, as I think most of them were then.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 hours ago, Barclay said:

Hi it's a box for the vacuum brake exhauster - first batches had one on both sides then some later batches had only one on the left. Later of course with air brakes they were added, changed etc as required but the loco spotter book for 1976 says yours was vacuum only at that time, as I think most of them were then.

Thanks. It was 1976 when it was sold from BR so it would never have been fitted with air brakes.

• 1 month later...

I swapped this for some redundant wagons, from River Don Works. It needs a repaint into black (I thought the model was black but it turns out to be a very dark green), with red valances and the fancy cylinder covers replacing with representations of the actual cylinder covers, with studs and nuts. And of course PEPPER lettering for the tank sides. It will then be the one that Pepper used at British Oak and also at Darton screens.

DapolB4-1.jpg.fc64c626e89bc1dacc2b6dcf1b351966.jpg

• Like 5

On 02/10/2020 at 22:57, doilum said:

Some more historical information please!

I could have sworn that I replied to this last night but my post seems to have disappeared!

Southern Railway No. 92. Built by the LSWR at Nine Elms in 1891. Sold by British Railways to the Ministry of Fuel & Power in 1949. Worked for Wm. Pepper at Darton, British Oak and Skiers Spring at various times. Scrapped 1961. There is a colour three quarter front view in "Industrial Steam" (Ian Allan, 1994) and I have seen a rear three quarter view but I can't remember if it is in a book or on the interwebz. A search on the interwebz doesn't come up with anything but interweb searches never seem to turn up much for me.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just found a few of my old photos, from British oak

it says on the back May 85 ?

But i cant remember the number of the light blue 03.  What was it & where did it go.

I know 03037 went to Oxcroft for a while And then pastures new.

im sure i have a pic of class 10, 12122 somewhere before it was cut up.

Hope they are some help, to some

img596 (2).jpg

img597 (2).jpg

img598 (2).jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...
3 hours ago, 5050 said:

Hard to believe that the full and empty barges are one and the same!  Took me a moment to realise it!

Running a shuttle service between Kellingley and Ferrybridge. The design was based on the much larger examples that ply the Rhine. What I had failed to notice in period was that the empties were towed.