Painting and Lining - Ian Rathbone

Ian is one of the top professional model painters, and I'd highly recommend his book (A Modellers Handbook of Painting and Lining - Wild Swan). He summarises the topic in a lengthy YouTube tutorial here,  starting about 1hr 31 after a more basic painting tutorial by Tony Wright.

Edited by dpgibbons

I agree with the recommendation of Ian Rathbone's book. I have both the book and the Right Track 3 DVD. I regard the video as complimenting the book rather than summarizing it. It is very much a practical demonstration of the principles described in the book.

I also find the video helpful in that it shows how Ian organizes his work space so that everything is readily to hand. A good demonstration is where an error occurs during lining - Ian corrects the error without fuss and without having to hunt around for anything.  Inspiring.

On one of my bookshelves I have three Wild Swan books in a row. I have had them from new and all are showing signs of dog-earing from frequent use. They are "Carriage Modelling Made Easy" by David Jenkinson, Ian Rathbone's book and Martyn Welch's "The Art of Weathering".  Anyone who has read all three of these is well on the way to making decent models!

Ian.

Edited by Ian Major
  • Like 1

• 10 months later...