I’m searching for a drawing of one of the South Eastern and Chatham Railmotors. I heard it was published in model railway constructor but I’ve forgotten which issue it was published in. I’m also looking for plans of a Great Northern Railway railmotor and BTP tank too. All help will be appreciated.

HMRS have builder's drawings for the underframe and body of the coach part but apparently not for the engine part. IIRC, the engines were by Kitson's and those drawings may be in a different collection (NRM?).

You'll not get at these drawings for a while, though. HMRS are not selling drawings at present because of the pandemic. When they do open up again, the railmotor drawings are not yet scanned (marked 'request quotation' on the HMRS site), so there may be a delay while they scan them.

• Like 1

The SECR railmotor drawing is MRC March 1964 page 74

A drawing of the GNR railmotor appears in MRC 1962 page 264, I do not know which month that is.

Many years ago drawings from the NRM were available via Oxford Publishing. I have several references for the SECR railmotor.

• Like 1

If you are going to build the SECR rail motor in 7mm/ft, I would be willing to help crowd-fund (crowd of two?) a set of etchings from Worsley Works.

But, weren’t there subtly different versions of the coach part?

And, do Worsley or Roxey already etch the coach section in 4mm, as part of a two-car PP set, which is what they became when the loco bits were abandoned. I have a feeling that guys from UCkfield MRC might have sponsored a product in order to build a train for their Leysdown layout.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 21/07/2020 at 13:47, Nearholmer said:

Yes quite correct - the S.E.& C.R. Railmotors were built in two batches and there were differences both in the locomotive and coach bodies.

Nos 1 & 2 in 1905 and Nos 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 & 8 in 1906

The later locomotives differed from the original pair by having shorter side-tanks. The fully panelled carriage portions were dimensionally the same as the original two but differed in detail.

On the second batch the bodyside windows were narrower, with a consequently larger panel between each; the third and sixth seating bays viewed from the inner end had pairs of droplights instead of a large fixed window; there were 14 roof ventilators; and at the driving end there were four equal-sized windows, of which the nearside and offside two were slideable."

The original two railmotors had 7 large bodyside windows on each side when built and only 10 roof ventilators, however they were soon modified to match the second batch with the addition of more roof ventilators and the pairs of droplights in the third and sixth seating bays. However because of the original bodyside layout, the remaining large windows, new droplights and the corresponding above window ventilators were all noticeably larger than those from the second batch, with corresponding smaller bodywork panels between the windows.

When converted by the SR into the articulated sets (513 & 514), for the Sheppey Light, and pull-push sets (481 & 482),  for the Isle of Wight, the panelled bodywork of the coaches were plated over.

Set 513 - built from railmotors 3 & 8 - so narrow body side windows

Set 514 - built from railmotors 1 & 2 - so wide body side windows

Set 481 - built from railmotors 5 & 4 - so narrow body side windows 

Set 482 - built from railmotors 6 & 7 - so narrow body side windows 

Mike King has produced a drawing which looks to be of the plated converted second batch and is therefore not strictly applicable for articulated set 514 built from the original 2 railmotors but is suitable for the other three.

More information from:

Bogie Carriages of the S.E.& C.R. - David Gould - Oakwood Press

Illustrated History of Southern Pull-Push Stock - Mike King - OPC

A ready to run 7mm/ft model of the Articulated Set was produced for a while by Electrifying Trains / MARC Models - however they were fairly robust as designed to go round 3ft radius curves and although advertised as available as set 513 or 514 the body side layout would be only suitable for one as per the info above,

There was also a 7mm/ft kit produced I believe by J.M. Model Products whom were approached by a couple of Uckfield MRC members at a Bristol show to ask about reducing their etches to 4mm/ft - however they weren't interested.

Subsequently my model of Articulated Set 514, which features on Leysdown, was scratch-built back in 1999 - featuring fretted out body sides!

http://www.leysdown.org.uk

I don't know of any kits for the original railmotors although I believe Dave Hammersley of Roxey Mouldings was considering it at one point.

Hope this helps.

Edited by adrianmc
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

On 21/07/2020 at 09:53, Tony Cane said:

The SECR railmotor drawing is MRC March 1964 page 74

A drawing of the GNR railmotor appears in MRC 1962 page 264, I do not know which month that is.

Many years ago drawings from the NRM were available via Oxford Publishing. I have several references for the SECR railmotor.

Thank you Tony

I have done a bit of research and the GNR Railmotor plans were published in the July 1972 issue of Model Railway Constructor. I like both the GNR and SECR Railmotors as they were very stylish machines. I’m trying to find a plan of the Midland Railway Railmotor and trailer next. I now have both issues of Model Railway Constructor and it’s a shame that this magazine is no longer published.

On 23/07/2020 at 08:05, adrianmc said:

Yes quite correct - the S.E.& C.R. Railmotors were built in two batches and there were differences both in the locomotive and coach bodies.

The later locomotives differed from the original pair by having shorter side-tanks. The fully panelled carriage portions were dimensionally the same as the original two but differed in detail.

On the second batch the bodyside windows were narrower, with a consequently larger panel between each; the third and sixth seating bays viewed from the inner end had pairs of droplights instead of a large fixed window; there were 14 roof ventilators; and at the driving end there were four equal-sized windows, of which the nearside and offside two were slideable."

The original two railmotors had 7 large bodyside windows on each side when built and only 10 roof ventilators, however they were soon modified to match the second batch with the addition of more roof ventilators and the pairs of droplights in the third and sixth seating bays. However because of the original bodyside layout, the remaining large windows, new droplights and the corresponding above window ventilators were all noticeably larger than those from the second batch, with corresponding smaller bodywork panels between the windows.

When converted by the SR into the articulated sets (513 & 514), for the Sheppey Light, and pull-push sets (481 & 482),  for the Isle of Wight, the panelled bodywork of the coaches were plated over.

Mike King has produced a drawing which looks to be of the plated converted second batch and is therefore not strictly applicable for articulated set 514 built from the original 2 railmotors but is suitable for the other three.

More information from:

A ready to run 7mm/ft model of the Articulated Set was produced for a while by Electrifying Trains / MARC Models - however they were fairly robust as designed to go round 3ft radius curves and although advertised as available as set 513 or 514 the body side layout would be only suitable for one as per the info above,

There was also a 7mm/ft kit produced I believe by J.M. Model Products whom were approached by a couple of Uckfield MRC members at a Bristol show to ask about reducing their etches to 4mm/ft - however they weren't interested.

Subsequently my model of Articulated Set 514, which features on Leysdown, was scratch-built back in 1999 - featuring fretted out body sides!

I don't know of any kits for the original railmotors although I believe Dave Hammersley of Roxey Mouldings was considering it at one point.

Hope this helps.

Thank you Adrian 

This gives a lot of food for thought! Do you know where I can find a drawing for the modified Railmotors with longer tanks (3-4 onwards) as these would be interesting to model too? 

On 21/07/2020 at 13:47, Nearholmer said:

If you are going to build the SECR rail motor in 7mm/ft, I would be willing to help crowd-fund (crowd of two?) a set of etchings from Worsley Works.

And, do Worsley or Roxey already etch the coach section in 4mm, as part of a two-car PP set, which is what they became when the loco bits were abandoned. I have a feeling that guys from UCkfield MRC might have sponsored a product in order to build a train for their Leysdown layout.

Thank you Nearholmer I would definitely be interested in a crowdfunded SECR Railmotor! I think the coaches had more detail differences than the locomotives (as far as I’m aware there were long and short tanks) but I think it sounds like a wonderful idea. 

Guest Jack Benson

Before the owner replies with a better response, there are 3D versions available AFAIK 

CLICK HERE

Stay Safe

Edited by Jack Benson

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Before the owner replies with a better response, there are 3D versions available AFAIK 

CLICK HERE

Stay Safe

Yes there are but again for those interested in the articulated set those specified on Shapeways do not make any differentiation between the main window spacing to reflect the two batches of the donor railmotor coaches. If the differences had been taken into account there would be four coaches offered, 2 for set 513 and two for set 514, and not three. 

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, Jason Pape said:

Thank you Nearholmer I would definitely be interested in a crowdfunded SECR Railmotor! I think the coaches had more detail differences than the locomotives (as far as I’m aware there were long and short tanks) but I think it sounds like a wonderful idea. 

Before going down the crowdfunded route for a kit it might be worth contacting Dave at Roxey Mouldings to see if he still has some interest in the project.

If going for ready-to-run that's a different matter!  

All I was really mooting was clubbing together to fund Alan Doherty making 7mm/ft etches. IIRC he will etch if there are three guaranteed sales - I had some 16mm/ft Irish coach sides that way.

My plot is to make a near-replica of the electrically powered version of that Carette beastie (they did make a few electric ones), and I would probably actually shorten the sides  to match that (i.e. have scale length sides etched, which I guess is what anyone else would want, then shorten them).

If Roxey were to make a kit, I would seek to buy “bare parts” and do the same - my fear being that a full, super-detailed, fine-scale kIt would contain a lot of parts that I wouldn’t want for a robust “tinplate” rendition, and would cost a great deal more than a basic set of etches.

The original is a super-rare and beautiful object.

Kevin

93AFA6F1-51A8-4EE5-A9D5-19FEE7EE1A03.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer

8 hours ago, Jason Pape said:

Thank you Tony

I have done a bit of research and the GNR Railmotor plans were published in the July 1972 issue of Model Railway Constructor. I like both the GNR and SECR Railmotors as they were very stylish machines. I’m trying to find a plan of the Midland Railway Railmotor and trailer next. I now have both issues of Model Railway Constructor and it’s a shame that this magazine is no longer published.

Thanks for the correction to my references, hand written so I cannot even blame it on a typo.

I have many references to photographs of the Midland Railway Railmotor, mostly in the NRM collection, but none for a drawing.

21 hours ago, Jason Pape said:

Thank you Tony

The GNR had three pairs of railmotors, and, I would say, only the Doncaster built pair might be called stylish, with their modern looking dome ended carriage portions, the others had old fashioned arc roof carriage sections, and the Avonside design, Nos 7 & 8, when originally built with overall casings, only a mother could love! See the RCTS Locos Volume 3a for full details. There is a nice Nick Campling drawing of the Doncaster design, Nos 1 & 2, in David Jenkinson's Railcar book, and, if you want others, then try to find to find R W Rush's British Steam Railcars which details an astonishing variety of designs, with drawings for most of them, including all three GNR types, but only the later SECR. There is a bit of a health warning regarding Rush's drawings, as there were occasional lapses, but I feel these are fairly reasonable, and, combined with photos and other info, can form the basis of a fairly accurate model, at least in the smaller scales. (The drawings appear to be around 3mm scale to fit the Oakwood A5 page size.

Anyone interested in the Midland railmotors should have a copy of the Midland Railway Society's book on the subject, by Stephen Summerson. This has most of the drawings you're likely to need, and plenty of photos. They had an interesting history, a pair being built in 1904, seeing service on the line to Heysham. Initially built, like many, with vertical boilers, within a couple of years it was decided they needed more traditional loco boilers, and one was rebuilt quite drastically to make the longer boiler fit, in 1907, and returned to public service, mainly on the Hemel Hempstead branch until around 1917, although finally broken up around 1926 . The other was also fitted with a horizontal boiler, but in this case the original bodywork was largely untouched, but it was converted to be a self-propelled inspection saloon for Cecil Paget, but in 1917 it was completely rebuilt when the engine unit was removed and replaced by a further saloon, in which state it survived through to preservation.

All this means that an etching will have a restricted time frame, unless all the alterations can be accommodated. If considering the commercial implications, don't forget that Jidenco/Falcon Brass have produced a kit for it, and I know this is a contentious issue, but I am sure there are many people like me who have stockpiled one of these kits for the future, and only the keenest is going to consider investing another £100 or so in a second one, unless the new product is vastly superior and easy to build.

Thank you Adrian 

This gives a lot of food for thought! Do you know where I can find a drawing for the modified Railmotors with longer tanks (3-4 onwards) as these would be interesting to model too? 

I am not sure what you mean by the longer tank modification but the drawing for No 4 in Rush is for the final six with short tanks, although he incorrectly states that "Nos. 1 & 2 had short side tanks, reaching only to the middle of the front ring of the boiler, but these were lengthened later to correspond with the rest." Photos clearly show that the first pair were built with long tanks, and the second series has the short tanks, as Adrian has explained in his detailed account. I cannot access my copy of Bradley to confirm matters.

As Adrian indicated, I think there were only the two variations of coach, but there was a third variety of loco as, according to Rush, Nos. 5 & 8 were fitted with extended smokeboxes to accommodate a spark arrester.

I am not sure that Worsley Works operate using crowdfunding, but I could be wrong. I don't know whether the original enquirer has to pay the initial set up costs or they are defrayed across possible future purchases or what. The team that worked with him to produce the Metropilitan H Class loco should be able to say how it works and what is required, but usually he only produces a basic etching, although very finely produced, and all fittings and things like bogies have to be sourced separately, but that is much the same for a 3D printed version. It seems that the chassis for the loco part is not included, or at least that applies to the NSR railmotor he produces, but that may be a result of the original enquirer's particular requirements, and, if given the necessary information and drawings, the chassis and motion could be included.

• RMweb Gold
On 26/07/2020 at 16:11, Nick Holliday said:

As Adrian indicated, I think there were only the two variations of coach, but there was a third variety of loco as, according to Rush, Nos. 5 & 8 were fitted with extended smokeboxes to accommodate a spark arrester.

Not completely correct re the locomotives as I believe there were four types.

1) Nos 1 & 2 in original form with long side tanks

2) Nos 3 to 8 in original form with short side tanks and well tank

3) Nos 1 & 2 in modified form with extended smokebox and long tanks

4) Nos 3 to 8 in modified form with extended smokebox with short side tanks and well tank

As Nick Holliday says the modifications to the spark arresters, which resulted in the extended smokebox, were carried out on No 5 first, followed by No 8 but then, according to Bradley, were carried out on the other six. Other modifications included better cab ventilation and a simpler firedoor.

Although there were basically the two variations of coach there were in fact three types.

1) Nos 1 & 2 in original form with no droplights, 10 ventilators and wide body side windows

2) Nos 1 & 2 in modified form with droplights, 14 ventilators but retaining wide body side windows

3) Nos 3 to 8 in original form with droplights, 14 ventilators and narrow body side windows.

Sorry for complicating things even more!

What would be most popular; locomotive type (2) with coach type (3) i.e. the second batch as built or something else?

Edited by adrianmc

• 1 month later...

it's a nice idea, bur I wonder if any manufacturer would consider a r2r model, unless some enterprising presrvatio society was proposing to build a replica. Look at many of the new r2r models , and there are a lot based either on preserved examples or replica builds. Of course, if someone here has the cash to fund a new model, I would not stop them.

Alternatively, as has been mentioned here there are my designs on Shapeways. Thanks to this thread I have been made aware of the differences in the coaches and altered the designs for the articulated sets. Ideally I would have liked a scale drawing(does the Mike King one show all versions, as the pushpull book only has those versions), but have managed to use one of the photos to estimate sizes of windows.

I am also interested in doing one of the original steam railmotors, asuming I can find drawings. I have ordered a copy of the MRC with drawings of railmotor no 3, and hopefully it is better than the smaller drawing, also done by Rush in his book on steam railmotors.

I have done a lot of research into SE&CR railmotors and have copies of plans from the HMRS. Be warned the Model Railway Constructor drawing is not accurate. There should be a wider spacing between the windows where the partition between the two saloons is. There is a drawing of the livery of numbers 1&2 which is an SE&CR Drawing. There are also drawings in Railway Magazine and Railway Engineer in 1905. I have a drawing of the loco portion of numbers 3 to 8 which comes from the paper on Railmotors submitted to the International Railway Congress at Berne in 1910. There are also drawings that originated from the SE&CR but neither of these is correct as it shows a mixture of designs. The panelling on the coach portions of 1&2 are different to those of 3 to 8. With regard to the extended smokeboxes not all were fitted with them as photographs of the pair of derelict railmotors at Crystal Palace HL clearly show one of the two still had a short smoke box. It is my opinion that numbers 1 & 4 were not so fitted.

I could go on at length about these vehicles and would dearly love a model (4mm EM) but there are many pitfalls in the available information. I tried to work out the full allocations of these as I was able to see the visits to works and their subsequent postings but it was not possible to fully nail down their operations. I have the text for a monograph on the Railmotors which may be published by the South Eastern & Chatham Society in the future.

Regards

John Arkell

I should have pointed out that the drawing in the R W Rush book on railcars is also inaccurate. it has the same fault as the MRC drawing plus the saloon windows are drawn with square corners which is not correct. Also it is drawn with external window bars. As far as I am aware the window bars were only external on nos. 1&2, all the later coaches had the bars internally.

John Arkell

Tunbridge Wells

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, John Arkell said:

My notes on the SE&CR Railmotors are going to be in the next edition of Invicta, the journal of the South Eastern & Chatham Railway Society. This will be published in about March. Free to members.

John Arkell

Have you looked at the ones on Shapeways, are they accurate for the sets when rebuilt into sets, and will your notes cover these as well?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Jack Benson
On 04/09/2020 at 11:42, rue_d_etropal said:

it's a nice idea, bur I wonder if any manufacturer would consider a r2r model, unless some enterprising presrvatio society was proposing to build a replica. Look at many of the new r2r models , and there are a lot based either on preserved examples or replica builds. Of course, if someone here has the cash to fund a new model, I would not stop them.

Alternatively, as has been mentioned here there are my designs on Shapeways. Thanks to this thread I have been made aware of the differences in the coaches and altered the designs for the articulated sets. Ideally I would have liked a scale drawing(does the Mike King one show all versions, as the pushpull book only has those versions), but have managed to use one of the photos to estimate sizes of windows.

I am also interested in doing one of the original steam railmotors, asuming I can find drawings. I have ordered a copy of the MRC with drawings of railmotor no 3, and hopefully it is better than the smaller drawing, also done by Rush in his book on steam railmotors.

Simon,

I have been hesitating from ordering the components needed to build set 514 in 4mm until you had updated the design. Can you guide me as which item I need to order?

Thank you

On 26/07/2020 at 16:11, Nick Holliday said:

The GNR had three pairs of railmotors, and, I would say, only the Doncaster built pair might be called stylish, with their modern looking dome ended carriage portions, the others had old fashioned arc roof carriage sections, and the Avonside design, Nos 7 & 8, when originally built with overall casings, only a mother could love! See the RCTS Locos Volume 3a for full details. There is a nice Nick Campling drawing of the Doncaster design, Nos 1 & 2, in David Jenkinson's Railcar book, and, if you want others, then try to find to find R W Rush's British Steam Railcars which details an astonishing variety of designs, with drawings for most of them, including all three GNR types, but only the later SECR. There is a bit of a health warning regarding Rush's drawings, as there were occasional lapses, but I feel these are fairly reasonable, and, combined with photos and other info, can form the basis of a fairly accurate model, at least in the smaller scales. (The drawings appear to be around 3mm scale to fit the Oakwood A5 page size.

Anyone interested in the Midland railmotors should have a copy of the Midland Railway Society's book on the subject, by Stephen Summerson. This has most of the drawings you're likely to need, and plenty of photos. They had an interesting history, a pair being built in 1904, seeing service on the line to Heysham. Initially built, like many, with vertical boilers, within a couple of years it was decided they needed more traditional loco boilers, and one was rebuilt quite drastically to make the longer boiler fit, in 1907, and returned to public service, mainly on the Hemel Hempstead branch until around 1917, although finally broken up around 1926 . The other was also fitted with a horizontal boiler, but in this case the original bodywork was largely untouched, but it was converted to be a self-propelled inspection saloon for Cecil Paget, but in 1917 it was completely rebuilt when the engine unit was removed and replaced by a further saloon, in which state it survived through to preservation.

All this means that an etching will have a restricted time frame, unless all the alterations can be accommodated. If considering the commercial implications, don't forget that Jidenco/Falcon Brass have produced a kit for it, and I know this is a contentious issue, but I am sure there are many people like me who have stockpiled one of these kits for the future, and only the keenest is going to consider investing another £100 or so in a second one, unless the new product is vastly superior and easy to build.

I am not sure what you mean by the longer tank modification but the drawing for No 4 in Rush is for the final six with short tanks, although he incorrectly states that "Nos. 1 & 2 had short side tanks, reaching only to the middle of the front ring of the boiler, but these were lengthened later to correspond with the rest." Photos clearly show that the first pair were built with long tanks, and the second series has the short tanks, as Adrian has explained in his detailed account. I cannot access my copy of Bradley to confirm matters.

I am not sure that Worsley Works operate using crowdfunding, but I could be wrong. I don't know whether the original enquirer has to pay the initial set up costs or they are defrayed across possible future purchases or what. The team that worked with him to produce the Metropilitan H Class loco should be able to say how it works and what is required, but usually he only produces a basic etching, although very finely produced, and all fittings and things like bogies have to be sourced separately, but that is much the same for a 3D printed version. It seems that the chassis for the loco part is not included, or at least that applies to the NSR railmotor he produces, but that may be a result of the original enquirer's particular requirements, and, if given the necessary information and drawings, the chassis and motion could be included.

Only just seen this, but drawings of the Midand Railmotor and Trailer are available from the M&GN circle

http://www.mgncircle.org.uk/archives.html#

• 5 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 23/07/2020 at 08:05, adrianmc said:

More information from:

Hope this helps.

When you made your model, did you find a drawing of the articulated sets , or did you just have to decide on an approach? I'm wanting to make set 514 hence the question. Sadly Shapeways is not an option as it goes from £63 per coach on the screen to over £90 by the time its in the basket and postage, which is just too much.