Problems with a Bachmann class 04 diesel shunter.

brian777999

The fly cranks have been disconnected ; that was plan A. The replacement axles and the back-to-back gauge have not arrived yet. But if replacing the axles does not work (plan B) is there a possible plan C that I can try ?

• RMweb Premium

Although as an addition to my tale, the first set of wheels and rods arrived from Bachmann like this.....

D807E9E7-3C06-44C9-B4A7-D729499EF928.jpeg.21909444466ea883ddd94b2097e3fba3.jpeg

But Bachmann were very fast at replacing them without needing this bent set back :good: these things happen.

• RMweb Gold

Hasn't the forum been there before a couple of months ago? I've got a couple of 03's, and the earlier versions also. One of the problems encountered was the fly cranks, which live under the cab. The cranks as such play no part of the mechanical process of the locomotive, but do play an important visual part. The fly cranks can & do rotate, and sometimes foul the safety skirt underneath the cab. I found that some careful adjustment of the retaining screws for the flycranks will bear fruit. However, too tight, and it'll bind the locomotive;  too loose, and it'll foul the rotation, as we noted. 

I've never had to adjust the Bachmann versions, but I've had to do this of both of my older Mainline 04's. In this particular picture, I'd suggest that  the 'floating' end of the 03-04 coupling rod can be bent back to profile, should this happen. Remember that the non-operating flycranks can go slightly out of quarter without any bother. However, and in deference to David, I can't tell the severity of bend he has encountered, and can only comment on similar problems I have encountered. 

Best wishes,

Ian.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, tomparryharry said:

Hasn't the forum been there before a couple of months ago? I've got a couple of 03's, and the earlier versions also. One of the problems encountered was the fly cranks, which live under the cab. The cranks as such play no part of the mechanical process of the locomotive, but do play an important visual part. The fly cranks can & do rotate, and sometimes foul the safety skirt underneath the cab. I found that some careful adjustment of the retaining screws for the flycranks will bear fruit. However, too tight, and it'll bind the locomotive;  too loose, and it'll foul the rotation, as we noted. 

I've never had to adjust the Bachmann versions, but I've had to do this of both of my older Mainline 04's. In this particular picture, I'd suggest that  the 'floating' end of the 03-04 coupling rod can be bent back to profile, should this happen. Remember that the non-operating flycranks can go slightly out of quarter without any bother. However, and in deference to David, I can't tell the severity of bend he has encountered, and can only comment on similar problems I have encountered. 

Best wishes,

Ian.

Indeed I suspected at first the flycranks could be the issue but having carefully made sure there was clearance and the play in the crank pins and rods were looking good I was still getting “lock up”, I even tried soldering the split rods solid but even that didn’t help, interestingly the new rods sent by Bachmann spares adept were the new type of solid rod, after fitting these the Loco ran as a smooth as silk, a completely different loco. Now whether this was down to the originals being slightly out of quarter or misaligned or even due to the sloppy coupled crank arrangement I don’t know, but the solid rods worked. 

• Informative/Useful 1

On my old 04, the rods are solid and I have disconnected the fly cranks but it still runs badly. I am expecting new axles to arrive any day now so I am hoping that fitting these will improve the situation. If it does not then I may pull the whole thing apart split chassis and all just for the hell of it !

• Friendly/supportive 1

The new axles have arrived today ; they are a very tight fit. I know the principle of quartering and I was able to do it with the older loose-fitting axles but I am having no luck fitting and quartering the new axles. Has anybody done this before to the class 04 and do you have any tips ?

1. NOTE : at this stage I am leaving the fly cranks disconnected. Maybe I will try connecting them later if I can get the loco to run smoothly with the new axles.

2. NOTE : I am doing this without a back to back gauge as it has not arrived from the UK as yet.

UPDATE : I have disconnected the tie rods. That makes it much easier to set things at 90 degrees but with out a back to back gauge it is difficult to get the distance between the wheels correct. I might have to wait.

FINALLY : I have had some luck. It seems to be running much better now. Disconnecting the tie rods did the trick as it allows you to see through the wheels and use the holes to set the wheels at 90 degrees. I may also have a go at reinstalling the fly cranks... although that could be pushing it !

Edited by brian777999

I have been running the loco all day and it now runs very well (even with fly cranks fitted).  I was worried that I was wasting my money on these new axles but it has turned out well. If anybody else has a badly running class 04 then this is worth trying.

Edited by brian777999

• 2 years later...
  • 10 months later...

My problem is that I had included mine (31-340 version) in a large batch of stuff for selling but whilst cataloguing this into boxes happened to have a quick look at it - ended up being utterly re-charmed by it and it's now back in primary use 🙄