What to do with half a sprinter

Hello,

I have managed to come across the motorised half of a Bachmann 150 148 sprinter.  (This is the one with a solid lump that obscures the windows). I must admit I am at a loss as to what to do with it.

I don’t fancy the flaff of putting on an auction site so I was thinking of motorising the dummy car of another Bachmann sprinter but this feels like overkill for a 2 car unit, not to mention it will need another decoder.

Sadly it’s too short and would take a lot of effort to stretch  it to fit  an old Lima 156 I have.   This got me thinking would it be suitable as a donor chassis for anything else?

i really would appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

thanks

Stephen

On 21/07/2020 at 22:31, Butler Henderson said:

IIRC some 3 car 150s were formed so a single 150/1 coupled to a 150/2 would probably have existed,

The 3 car units were formed by putting single cars from 150/2 between the two cars of a 150/1 so more of a rule 1 model that...

Edited by frobisher
  • Thanks 1

The bogie wheelbase and bogies are almost correct (maybe a mm out, but I don`t think it`s even that) for any 64` Mk1 MU with 8`6" bogies. It can be used for any MU, including the 20m Mk3 EMUs.

Or if using to remotor a lima 156, take to bits, then chop off the bogie mounts by chopping it into 3 sections. Then just use one per motor coach. Gives enough mass with just this. Get a second motor and you can repower 2 DMUs.

If you got the body, cannot think of any easy changes to do with it other than a 150\1. Nothing else used the manual crew doors and the flat front.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Or keep your eye on Ebay for another vehicle coming up. They appear from time to time. Or even buy the bits, there are usually spare chassis, bodies, bogies etc available, occasionally at good prices!

Its a shame its not a 150/2 so you could use it as a centre car for a three-car one. How about a conversion to a 150/0 centre car? The easy route is to cut and shut two bodyshells but you might be able to fill cab door and window and fit a new saloon window in their place. 

My thanks to cheesysmith, JDW, frobisher, Steve b and of course Butler Henderson,

lots of stuff to think about.  I will keep an eye out for another half but buying all the parts individually seems a bit expensive.

i had thought about using to to power a MK3 based emu , but it did not cross my mind that it might be a good base for a 1st generation DMU.  Also I did not think about stripping the parts do re motor my 156 (I had thought about using the underframe details however)

last comment for the folks that went off on a tangent.  The forum is called mondeling questions. There are other places I am sure more suitable for you to express yourselves even on this fine forum.

kind regards