Bachmann/Woodland Scenics Just Plug Lighting with Gaugemaster Platform Lamps

benjy14

Hi,

I have just purchased the Bachmann Branchine Hampton Loade station building set (items 44-0082 and 44-0083). I know that I will need to power the lighting using their "Just Plug" lighting system, which is fine.

My query is that I have some Gaugemaster GWR Platform Lamps that I need to illuminate and I am trying to figure out if I can drive them from the "Just Plug" system. From what I can tell, this should be fine because I can use Linker Plugs (item WJP5685) to splice the wires from the lamps on to cables that can plug into the lighting unit.

Could anybody tell me if this is correct?

Thanks!

Ben

• 2 months later...

Just in case anybody finds this, the answer is "no"; the "Just Plug" Lighting Hub will not power Gaugemaster platform lamps.

I tried using the Linker Plugs to connect the hub to the lamps but nothing. I know the linkers work because they illuminate an LED supplied with the lamp pack (which I am using to illuminate the signal box), and I know the lamps work because they work fine off a 9V power supply. Therefore, as far as I can see, the issue is the power output of the hub is not sufficient; using my multimeter, the output was around 3V, which seems very low...(!) That is the only explanation that I can see.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, benjy14 said:

Just in case anybody finds this, the answer is "no"; the "Just Plug" Lighting Hub will not power Gaugemaster platform lamps.

I tried using the Linker Plugs to connect the hub to the lamps but nothing. I know the linkers work because they illuminate an LED supplied with the lamp pack (which I am using to illuminate the signal box), and I know the lamps work because they work fine off a 9V power supply. Therefore, as far as I can see, the issue is the power output of the hub is not sufficient; using my multimeter, the output was around 3V, which seems very low...(!) That is the only explanation that I can see.

LEDs normally operate at very low voltage, so 3V is perfectly reasonable.

Roy

• Thanks 1

I have just bought w2 economy packs of the Gaugemaster platform and building lamps.  Knowing nothing of how to wire up LEDs I rang Gaugemaster and the gentleman who answered was incredibly patient and knowledgeable.  He explained how to wire them up in great detail.  I recommend you give them a ring.

Edited by MG 7305
Grammar
  • Thanks 1

Hi All,

Reference the Just Plug lighting system.

I have installed all sorts of lights on my 00 gauge layout including lights in my station building, offices, signal box, plate layers hut etc etc. These have required the appropriate expansion packs & in some cases extension leads.

It really is very easy to install & literally 'plug & play' albeit at a cost.

I have this week ordered the 3 street light pack - JP5677. These are ideal as the 3 light's cables come together into one connector which in turn a single cable will plug into my last remaining port.

On reflection, maybe a second pack of the 3 street lights are required......

I don't want to purchase another expansion pack or similar, so the question I have is can I wire up all 6 lights (instead of the original 3) into the connector so that in turn the one single cable would light up all the 6 street lights.

Has anyone done this?

Feedback appreciated on this.

Stay Safe people.

IMG_3401.PNG

IMG_3402.PNG

Assuming that it would run off the expansion pack, I guess it's going to depend on whether or not you can physically get all six wires into the connector. The only way to find out is to try... If not, you might be able to make your own using terminal blocks.

In terms of my layout, I got it all working nicely too:

20201019_141848236_iOS.jpg.14e9e26b55636ee8268b07e3c7307b49.jpg

The platform lamps are powered from the 9V supply that the Dapol signal uses and using the middle resistor on the board supplied by Gaugemaster. The station lights and the LED in the signal box are powered by the Just Plug lighting system. Obviously lots of detailing to be added to the platform but very pleased with how it's come out :) 

• Like 3

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I guess as you say, there maybe some physical limitation preventing the 6 pairs of cables going into the linker plug. The only way to find out is to give it a go - but I wasn't sure if wiring 6 lights into this plug (if it is  possible) would have an impact on the lights themselves....

Anyhow, I have attached a nocturnal image showing the lights on part of my layout. Really transform the look.

Enjoy.

IMG_3404.PNG