Unrebuilt Royal Scot kit

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Can anyone tell me if an unrebuilt Royal Scot kit is available? I've done a trawl of the usual kit manufacturers on the internet, and come across rebuilt Royal Scots, and unrebuilt Patriots, but not unrebuilt Royal Scots.

Cheers N

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

South Eastern Finecast do one. With either a Stanier or Fowler tender.

http://www.sefinecast.co.uk/Locomotives/New and Revised Loco Kits Page 7.htm

Jason

Thanks, that looks promising. Does anyone have any experience of these kits? I'm not experienced in white metal kits, I've done a Millholme Hughes 4-6-0, which came out ok, but that's it.

Cheers N

Southeastern Finecast kits are very good, the origin of these kits were the Wills kits and this model under Wills was designed to fit a Hornby RTR chassis

Thiskit  is now one of the revised kits by Southeastern Finecast, includes not only an etched chassis, but added cast and etched detail parts, unlike its Wills predecessor has cast cab details and as can be seen in the photos a scale etched chassis. The quality of both casting and casting alloy has also improved over the years, so the quality of the product is better.

I have not built one of these kits, but have several others from this company, In my opinion they rank with the best of whitemetal kit manufacturers and as far as customer service, Dave at SEF is a real gent and cannot be faulted.

I am sticking my neck out here but looking at the photo's I would guess its one of the newer more detailed revised kits, especially with the Stanier tender version.

My experience of Millholme kits is that they are not as builder friendly as SEF's kits, plus as I said castings and materials have moved on  

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, that sounds good. The Millholme model, whilst a good model when complete, was a bit fiddly, and required a bit of filling here and there.

My intention is to build a model of Royal Scot, as it would have been immediately prior to entering works for rebuilding, in April 1950. A week or so previously, in late March, it took my parents to London on their honeymoon. As far as I can determine, it was in LMS 1946 black at this point, with BR block style 46100 on the cabside, and (I assume) BRITISH RAILWAYS on the tender, as that is what was carried in a photo dated 1949. There is a photo of it awaiting entry into works in April 1950, but the tender legend isn't visible.

Cheers N

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

I have one of these SE Finecast Royal Scot Un-rebuilt kits (with Fowler tender) in my to-do drawer. It will be on the workbench in the very near future. It will however be in LMS Crimson Lake livery. 

interested to know if you got one and how you progressed with it?

Ian

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Haven't got a kit yet, other priorities, mainly house clearance, have been foremost. Both kits look good, I guess I just need to do a bit more research to identify whether the tender carried the early BR lion and wheel before it was rebuilt. I remember my dad saying it was filthy when it took them to London, and that ties in with the photo I've seen of it awaiting entry into works-it looks a bit rough!

I hope this link works:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/C7714-The-Royal-Scot-No-46100-Railway-Locomotive-Rebuilt-LMR-1950-Cutting/264759158764?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D6c4705c943ab465d8486d3e1d7c86931%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dnone%26sd%3D264759158764%26itm%3D264759158764%26pmt%3D0%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Ae824e21b-9e47-11eb-8583-82626084b3bb|parentrq%3Ad8022a8a1780ab8cd7ba444dfff84440|iid%3A1

It's to an e-bay auction showing a page of the Railway Magazine for September 1950. The subject is the rebuilding of 46100. It shows a 'before' picture taken on March 25, 1950 and an 'after' picture taken on June 23, 1950. The picture of the unrebuilt engine clearly shows 'BRITISH RAILWAYS'  on the tender. (The rebuild has the first BR emblem.)

• Like 1