next winter's project

southpier13

trying to set up a project for the winter month's. any input on the trackplan attached appreciated. baseboard will be kidney bean shaped (dark grey) .small squares are 2". penciled + are 1/3 powerpoint locations where i have tried to have interest points. once the plan view is determined, i'll address elevations - blue is intended water. 

intention is to use rtr microengineering On30 turnouts #5  code 83 rail & their 3' flex-track sections. i understand the turnout location / radii will need to be massaged in the field.

scale will be 1:35 & themed freelance narrow gauge. perhaps a tourist destination and most likely home of a ruined manor house (right side) & scenic overlook complete with cemetery & support building on the left.

anyone point out  blatant errors? it's only 'lines-on-paper' now, so corrections are somewhat easy. thanks

image.png.7ef47ccc20cd4f1af471b9c7b650f4db.png

Edited by southpier13

OK as a test track but nt a huge amount of play value, or anywhere to swap trains away from the visual area.  A passing loop and a hidden section are the usual tricks for a small continuous run so you can run 2 trains one in each direction.   On30 is a nice scale especially the bug US outline locos.

i am convinced to give the passing loop a try once turnouts are in hand. i didn't see a point where the second could be made without too tight radius but think when the track is shifted on the board it may be more apparent. there will be some hidden track but am not sure where yet. likewise with raised & lower topography to discourage taking stock of all the track in a single view.

What are you looking to get out of this layout?

You enjoy the building of a layout?  Like to simply run a train around in circles?  Looking at photography?  Operation?

These will all influence both the design, and the feedback that can be offered.

• RMweb Gold

The kidney shaped baseboard is nice and the kidney shaped circuit of track is nice but I don’t think they work together very well because the track follows the edge without any variation and the circuit can never truly be in the scene.

On 23/07/2020 at 18:12, mdvle said:

What are you looking to get out of this layout?

You enjoy the building of a layout?  Like to simply run a train around in circles?  Looking at photography?  Operation?

These will all influence both the design, and the feedback that can be offered.

i think a bit of each. any point to point diorama becomes a chore to me. the little kid gets a great deal of pleasure out of watching trains go round n round. i have no interest in photography. some little bit of operation will break up the circle running, but if i only shift a car or two i'll be happy.  

for what it's worth, i have assigned myself the following guidelines:

1/3 track hidden

1/3 track above an imaginary benchmark (say "0")

1/3 track below an imaginary benchmark (say "0")

i like the idea of a runaround track, but struggle to conceal its beginning or end. won't mind one turnout showing, but would not like views of both.

hopefully scenery, rocky coastline, will offer view blocks from the entire trackplan being seen in one fell swoop.

(see next response for more of the same)

On 23/07/2020 at 18:25, Harlequin said:

The kidney shaped baseboard is nice and the kidney shaped circuit of track is nice but I don’t think they work together very well because the track follows the edge without any variation and the circuit can never truly be in the scene.

i agree and one of my first criticisms of most straight benchwork modules is a track parallel to the edge(s).

one reason i chose the shape was to allow 360 access for construction & viewing when finished. i hope there will be enough revision as the track gets fine-tuned there will be enough variation between it and the "edge of the world" to make the following less obvious.

ideally, the benchwork - island - would have numerous nooks & crannies much like a fiord - but in a practical sense it would become an exercise in casemaking. i am going to reserve the zigs & zags of terrain for the coastline.

the profile of the benchwork will also have highs & lows to imply the large land mass is connected to "more". as if the tip of a peninsular was lopped off and this is what remains.

appreciate the observations; they are provoking me to thought!

thanks 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Regarding levels: Gradients in the track are notoriously difficult to handle in small layouts. In this case your trains might be small enough and the locos might have enough traction that gradients wouldn't necessarily trouble them but even so, it might be a good idea to avoid them for simplicity and reliability.

If the track was all level, @ datum, you can still achieve something like your guidelines by varying the landforms around the track instead: 1/3rd below datum, 1/3rd above datum, 1/3rd closing over the track. That would still look great, IMHO.

Just a thought: Do you have room to make the baseboards ("benchwork") a 72inch diameter circle? The kidney-shaped main circuit would then very naturally duck in and out of the scene.

Edited by Harlequin

i understand the wisdom of keeping track level specially when there's practically no room for transitions to approach & departure of grades.

the scenery fluctuation idea is a good improvement i can implement rather painlessly. micro engineering has sent a tracking number for my track & turnout order, so hopefully by the end of the week/ month i can have something tangible and the regularity of my drawn trackplan can go under revision.

thanks for the helpful input.

Edited by southpier13

• 2 weeks later...