Shunt signal placement at double slip

Greetings All,

I know signal placement has been done to death so apologies in advance.  When a single shunt disc controls the exit from more than one siding, where is the signal placed?  For example, 6 signal at Harlesden:

https://signalbox.org/~SBdiagram.php?id= 134

Is it placed in the 6 foot between the two sidings as close to the fouling point as possible?  Or on the outside where it can be closer to the tips of the trap, angled to give the best sighting from either siding?

Thanks

The signal would be as shown in the Harlesden diagram, ie in the 10ft between loop and running lines and close to the switch tips so as to use normal shunt signal point detection. This also keeps the signal on the left as standard. Only if there was a sighting difficulty would it be placed on the right hand side similarly close to the switch tips.

• Informative/Useful 1

Just to very marginally correct Keith. The dolly would also be placed on the right hand side if there was something physically preventing its location on the left, in a "tight" area that is probably slightly more likely as a reason than sighting difficulties. A mechanically worked dolly would normally be placed with its disc-face orthongonal to the nearest running rail.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

In reality it depends as much on the space available to site the signal(s) as well as anything else apart from avoiding confusion with another line.  Thus you could  find such signal on the right or the left and sometimes even in the middle.  The ultimate was undoubtedly one on each side for the two different siding approaches to the slip and even more sophisticated if they were worked by the same lever and selected by the setting of the point ends in the slip -such as the one which existed from 1911 until 1961 a little over 5 miles away from where I currently sit typing this post.   In 1961 when the original signal box which worked the layout was demolished and a new one provided it was reduced to a single disc on the left side applying to both sidings.

• Informative/Useful 1

18 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

and even more sophisticated if they were worked by the same lever and selected by the setting of the point ends in the slip

My local line made fair use of selectors where industrial expansion led to new sidings being added to existing layouts, though I haven’t come across it at a double slip yet. In some cases the selected signals were controlled from a push/pull lever, so three or more arms were controlled by one lever. 

• Like 1