New Transfers for ICI Hoppers from CCT

cctransuk

I am just adding a new transfer sheet to my website; Sheet BL183 - 1950s / 60s solebar numberplates for ICI bogie limestone hoppers; (as produced by Hattons / Oxford). Sixteen pairs of numbers are provided, and each number is printed in seven different densities to represent anything from ex-works to virtually unreadable!

See https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm for pricing, ordering and payment details.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

During my discussions with John Talbot (Appleby Model Engineering), it has emerged that he has a very large quantity of castings from his kits, that he is about to melt down.

PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT JOHN TO TRY AND ACQUIRE SUCH CASTINGS; I AM TRYING TO SEE IF IT IS PRACTICABLE TO MAKE THESE AVAILABLE WITHOUT TROUBLING JOHN.

Amongst those castings are a number from John's 4mm. scale ICI bogie hopper kit.

915170173_CASTINGSIMG_0287.jpg.5d3de7ea09684ace14939a8b3a5b3713.jpg

It occurs to me that these castings may be useful to anyone who might wish to build either the ICI hoppers or, in particular, the JOHN SUMMERS / BSC hoppers which were very similar indeed - having a slightly lower hopper. It should be fairly simple to scratchbuild the hopper itself from brass or plasic card and, as far as I can tell, the castings would provide most / all of the difficult bits.

Naturally, the castings would be made up into sets to make one wagon, and would be offered in the simplest possible format - probably in a poly bag within a Jiffy bag for posting; NO INSTRUCTIONS would be provided.

In the first instance I would welcome an indication of the likely demand for the castings shown above. If there is sufficient potential demand, I will discuss the matter further with John Talbot.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

10 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

During my discussions with John Talbot (Appleby Model Engineering), it has emerged that he has a very large quantity of castings from his kits, that he is about to melt down.

PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT JOHN TO TRY AND ACQUIRE SUCH CASTINGS; I AM TRYING TO SEE IF IT IS PRACTICABLE TO MAKE THESE AVAILABLE WITHOUT TROUBLING JOHN.

Amongst those castings are a number from John's 4mm. scale ICI bogie hopper kit.

915170173_CASTINGSIMG_0287.jpg.5d3de7ea09684ace14939a8b3a5b3713.jpg

It occurs to me that these castings may be useful to anyone who might wish to build either the ICI hoppers or, in particular, the JOHN SUMMERS / BSC hoppers which were very similar indeed - having a slightly lower hopper. It should be fairly simple to scratchbuild the hopper itself from brass or plasic card and, as far as I can tell, the castings would provide most / all of the difficult bits.

Naturally, the castings would be made up into sets to make one wagon, and would be offered in the simplest possible format - probably in a poly bag within a Jiffy bag for posting; NO INSTRUCTIONS would be provided.

In the first instance I would welcome an indication of the likely demand for the castings shown above. If there is sufficient potential demand, I will discuss the matter further with John Talbot.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I also still have a considerable quantity of hopper bodies (resin cast), from our kit that was under development when the Hattons model was announced. No idea whether it would fit the castings mind.

3 hours ago, rka said:

How much would the castings be, and how much would the bodies be? 

At this stage it's impossible to say, as none of these components are mine - I'm just trying to save the Appleby castings from being melted down, and the Wild Boar resin castings being available is a bonus.

Suffice to say that they would be available at very reasonable prices, if it is possible to proceed.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

I would be interested in the castings, I have some resin bits from the PHarr days.

It also begs the question, what other Appleby bits are going to be/have been melted down, there were some useful buffers, axle guards etc in the range?

Mike.

Mike,

Patience, patience - suffice to say that I'm on it !!

Regards,

John.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
53 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

At this stage it's impossible to say, as none of these components are mine - I'm just trying to save the Appleby castings from being melted down, and the Wild Boar resin castings being available is a bonus.

Suffice to say that they would be available at very reasonable prices, if it is possible to proceed.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

I'd be up for somewhere between two and half a dozen "kits"  if the price was right  as a cheap introduction to whitemetal / mixed media kit building. Thanks for taking the time to mount a rescue bid John!

• Informative/Useful 1

15 minutes ago, Tim Dubya said:

Wow, what are you expecting to pay for up to 30 kits ?

(if I've read that right of course)

To quote the late, great Captain Mainwaring (that'll be Mannering) - "Stupid boy"!! :nono:

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to John Talbot, I have now received the remaining 4mm. scale etches for raised I C I lettering on ICI bogie limestone hoppers, as produced RTR by Hattons, and in kit form by others. The stock level at present is in excess of 200 etches, and one etch is required per wagon.

98437432_ICIETCH.jpg.97ffa6122c2ffbb2b350641eb0291a5f.jpg

Hattons still have stocks of the TOPS-era heavily weathered hoppers without ICI lettering;  https://www.hattons.co.uk/ici  ; these wagons can easily be backdated using the above etches, and my numbering transfers; (see Sheet BL183 at https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm ).

The etches are available to purchase at a bargain price of £1.00 per etch, plus just £1.00 P&P for any quantity of etches; the etches will be despatched in a Jiffy-type bag.

The etches are sold on a strictly 'first come - first served; when they're gone, they're gone' basis; THERE WILL BE NO MORE!

Payment will preferably be via BACS or Paypal; (in the latter case, add 10% of the order plus P&P total to cover the Paypal fee). Written orders with cheques can be accepted, but these orders will be cancelled if all etches are sold prior to receipt. Please include an e-mail address or SAE so that unsuccessful orders can be acknowledged.

It is anticipated that these etches will sell out very quickly - please do not delay if you can use them.

Regards,

John Isherwood,

Cambridge Custom Transfers.

• Like 1

On 23/07/2020 at 14:08, cctransuk said:

I am just adding a new transfer sheet to my website; Sheet BL183 - 1950s / 60s solebar numberplates for ICI bogie limestone hoppers; (as produced by Hattons / Oxford). Sixteen pairs of numbers are provided, and each number is printed in seven different densities to represent anything from ex-works to virtually unreadable!

See https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm for pricing, ordering and payment details.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

This sheet has been revised to include the ICI numbered solebar owner's plates, and the sheet content now covers all 36 wagons that match the bodywork features of the Hatton's model.

4BL0183.JPG.292d690c608d29fb09c01fc9edbb339e.JPG

I have omitted the 'faded' versions of the numbers, as these were less than convincing.

John Isherwood,

https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

• Like 1

IMG_5933.JPG.d7c9cc9c06866f750b4decfcf168de66.JPG

This is a Hattons TOPS era ICI limestone hopper; (still available to purchase); that has been backdated by the addition of Appleby Model Engineering etched ICI lettering and Cambridge Custom Transfers number and owner's plates.

The ICI etches and the transfers are both available from https://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm

John Isherwood.