Early Stages - resurrected

simmo009

• RMweb Premium

Hi Simmo.  There’s probably a way of “unhiding“ your original thread - a Personal Message (PM) to the Moderators May do the trick (Andy York - @AY Mod is the main man).  From memory, your original thread had the measurements of your space and boards on, for example.

One thing it might be worth doing at this point would be to take your sketch idea as here and do a mirrored version with the station on the other side of the boards - with the fiddle yard against the walls where the station is on this version.  That way you can compare them and see which works better - then pick the one to develop.  From memory, the other side of your layout space opens onto the rest of the room, so there may be a visual case for having them the other way round to here.  Just a thought.  Keith.

PS: I saw a photo of your fuel depot Inglenook on another thread - a really nice micro-layout.

Stationmaster. To recap, early mid 60's, BR Eastern ish, all steam locomotives. 

Keith. 15' 8" (4.7m) along the back edge, 10' (3.0m) along the left edge. In my minds eye, looking across the fiddle yard into the scenic section will could be awesome, and would make the whole seem less big. Rotating the plan 180 degrees means the backscene will obscure the view unless you are inside the boards. A perspex wall to safeguard stock in the fiddle yard will keep the open look, and provide alternative viewing angles.

I have sent a general message regarding the original thread, but I will dm the mod, thx for the address. And thanks for the compliment on Nudge Nudge (shameless Monty Python fan), that is my first layout build for 30 some years, and the first ever with scenery. Always had dreams as a kid, but life got in the way.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, simmo009 said:

Stationmaster. To recap, early mid 60's, BR Eastern ish, all steam locomotives. 

Keith. 15' 8" (4.7m) along the back edge, 10' (3.0m) along the left edge. In my minds eye, looking across the fiddle yard into the scenic section will could be awesome, and would make the whole seem less big. Rotating the plan 180 degrees means the backscene will obscure the view unless you are inside the boards. A perspex wall to safeguard stock in the fiddle yard will keep the open look, and provide alternative viewing angles.

I have sent a general message regarding the original thread, but I will dm the mod, thx for the address. And thanks for the compliment on Nudge Nudge (shameless Monty Python fan), that is my first layout build for 30 some years, and the first ever with scenery. Always had dreams as a kid, but life got in the way.

Good point - I’d forgotten about a backscene: I was thinking back to some of the earlier sketches by @Harlequin and yourself.  If I picture the layout as you have it now with a wall mounted backscene as you suggest I agree it could look great.  A fiddle yard only needs a low wall to protect trains - a quick search for a picture of the fiddle yard on Tony Wright’s Little Bytham will show a top class example - so you’re quite right that it needn’t “block the view.”

If you’re not familiar with Little Bytham, incidentally, although it is a larger layout, is an Easter Region BR Steam era mainline layout with a station on one side and fiddle yard on the other.  Might be worth checking out some videos - bound to be inspirational.

• AY Mod locked this topic