Dinsdale Lane

Windjabbers

Ok, so this is Dinsdale Lane (Monty Python fans will get the reference)*

It’s a shunting plank of around 5ft in total for me to push some truck around while I build a bigger layout. Well that’s the plan.

I’ve imagined some former running lines which have now been downgraded and truncated into some sidings that remain to serve local industries. The back scene will be some anonymous industrial building. 

I’ve a range of interest, manly East Anglian from the 1950’s to 1980’s so I’m looking for a neutral setting defined by the loco and stock that is working.

Track is the last of the Peco Code 75 I had as I’m moving to bullhead for the next project and its DCC. Which is a step up from my old H&M Duette controller.

Here is the track plan of the progress made so far…

Best Wishes

David

* = https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piranha_Brothers

dinsdale lane.pdf

C53F6104-DDE0-4FA4-875C-7A47597DB46D.jpeg.6f6ee084fb5a80d32217af6a6079f770.jpeg

Edited by Windjabbers
  • Like 3

Some wiring - those of a nervous disposition need to look away now.

Will say one thing though' these new Peco point motors are an absolute joy. Much much easier to fit!

Best Wishes

David 

77374A8F-03F0-4D0B-85F5-01F647B53281.jpeg

Edited by Windjabbers
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 23/07/2020 at 20:16, Windjabbers said:

The back scene will be some anonymous industrial building.

Not a high class night club for the gentry in Biggleswade, then?

5 hours ago, sammyboy said:

I've just seen your trackplan and it reminds me of the very similar one found on pages 58 & 59 of the 'Model Railway Planning and Design Handbook'?

Sam

I haven't seen that book. The trackplan is mainly based around using up the code 75 finescale track I had left. Clearly, it has an element of inglenook, with the three sidings. But it was mainly to keep the loco in the middle of the layout when shunting. 

Best Wishes

David

The track is all down and working including the new peco point motors. (Very very easy to fit). 

So the backscene, sides and front arch have been assembled. 

Had a lot of help from a mate who is much better at woodwork than I, his daughter came out to see how the railway box was going. 

Picture shows the progress with the ‘railway box’. Very fiddly to get the holes for the point switches in the right place. But pleased with the result. 

6CB3888A-77B3-413A-9A67-8056EB2A097F.jpeg

Edited by Windjabbers
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So thought I would take advantage of the weather to paint the ‘railway box’. Most times I leave this to later in the process but on a day like today progress has been rapid as everything drys super quick. And the splodges dropped on the lawn are easier to hide.

i’ve moved away from the traditional back to a more neutral browny/grey. I think the softer colour works. But let’s see when we get some lighting installed. 

Next thing to consider are the lighting and backscene. 

So need to start looking at all these natural light LED’s. Any suggestions welcome.

Would like to have ago at a curved backscene so any recommendation on what material to use would be welcome.

Best Wishes

David 

451219CD-242A-4C1E-BBEC-2EADD3E56AA0.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I’d better sort out the very small fiddle yards before I got to much further on  - at only 5ft in length would be too easy to ski jump stock of the end. Next will sort out the backscene and lightning. Then we can get on with the interesting stuff.  

250A654C-C923-4F70-8BD1-5435E5202BA9.jpeg

• 2 months later...

So bit of an update, not much to show for all the fiddling, but the layout is now in its full time home on the shelf , I've added some led lighting and have fully tested the points and electrics so it all now works! IMG_0267.jpeg.602e663b84ea5522f611e9b948df8cf1.jpeg

Some testing with stock. 

IMG_0266.jpeg

Edited by Windjabbers
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've put in a temporary backscene to help see if the lighting is going to be OK. ITs much improved with a lid on the box forcing additional light down into the layout. Putting the three 16t on the three sidings shows the light level across the layout. Overall, I think it's OK, but I will see how I get on but we may need more at the front. This is enough for now to that I can started with the builldings along the back and the two bridges.

IMG_0296.jpeg

Edited by Windjabbers

I’ve started to added the weightbridge. Have done metal base using wills sheeting which needed some packing to get to the right height. Next need to add some chairs to the rail - not sure where to source them from. So any suggestions welcome.

The hut actually stated life as a wills greenhouse.

Needs some glazing, but might be easier to paint before I do that. 

43ACA67E-5D69-47CC-AD00-6709680EEBA1.jpeg

Edited by Windjabbers
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 08/11/2020 at 14:05, Windjabbers said:

I've put in a temporary backscene to help see if the lighting is going to be OK. ITs much improved with a lid on the box forcing additional light down into the layout. Putting the three 16t on the three sidings shows the light level across the layout. Overall, I think it's OK, but I will see how I get on but we may need more at the front. This is enough for now to that I can started with the builldings along the back and the two bridges.

IMG_0296.jpeg

Hi David,

With regard to the lighting, and I apologise for not having come across this sooner, but you might find that extending the top of your layout box about 3 inches (8 centimetres) beyond the front face and having a strip of LEDs pointing backwards would help improve the lighting towards the front of the layout.

I appreciate this would necessitate some butchery of your existing box, but as you have it now most of your lighting at the front is almost directly overhead, which causes dark shadows when trying to photograph the rolling stock.

This is what I did for my Ladmanlow layout, having experienced similar problems:

ladmanlow960.jpg.c785db429fc54588d487ef604885bce7.jpg

I like the look of Dinsdale very much, and will be following with interest.

Al.

3 hours ago, Alister_G said:

Hi David,

With regard to the lighting, and I apologise for not having come across this sooner, but you might find that extending the top of your layout box about 3 inches (8 centimetres) beyond the front face and having a strip of LEDs pointing backwards would help improve the lighting towards the front of the layout.

I appreciate this would necessitate some butchery of your existing box, but as you have it now most of your lighting at the front is almost directly overhead, which causes dark shadows when trying to photograph the rolling stock.

This is what I did for my Ladmanlow layout, having experienced similar problems:

ladmanlow960.jpg.c785db429fc54588d487ef604885bce7.jpg

I like the look of Dinsdale very much, and will be following with interest.

Al.

Thanks for the advice and comments, yes I can see how that would improve the lighting at the front of the layout. I think once I have got the buildings in place I will return to the lighting.

Best Wishes

David

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Nice work so far, I always like shunting layouts.

I got the Monty Python reference, but for a moment expected a model of Dinsdale Rail Welding Depot in Darlington.

Or am I taking things too seriously?

cheers

32 minutes ago, Rivercider said:

Nice work so far, I always like shunting layouts.

I got the Monty Python reference, but for a moment expected a model of Dinsdale Rail Welding Depot in Darlington.

Or am I taking things too seriously?

cheers

Thanks for the comments - nothing to do with Darlington I’m afraid, was just looking for a neutral name as it will host a range of steam and diesels from the 1950’s to the 1980’s and this amused me, but promise there won’t be large hedgehog in the background....

• Like 1

More progress with the backscene building. The cutdown wills arches on the right and a water tank built out to give the impression of a much large tank than doing the kit as normal!

Not sure yet what buildings to put on top of the arches yet. Industrial but not too big...

IMG_0421.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 06/12/2020 at 21:17, Windjabbers said:

Thanks for the comments - nothing to do with Darlington I’m afraid, was just looking for a neutral name as it will host a range of steam and diesels from the 1950’s to the 1980’s and this amused me, but promise there won’t be large hedgehog in the background....

CF829A62-03F2-44B1-AC31-80E14EE26C16.jpeg.dbf24371a4187ce9848ea9a8302a3fc3.jpeg
………and is ever so disappointed!

• Funny 2