Dinsdale Lane

Windjabbers

Steady progress on the building in the right hand corner. I wasn’t 100% sure what this building was when I started, but I think this is going to be a pub - The Dinsdale Arms.  Starting to look like the sort of seedy dive that The Piranha brothers might frequent...

BDD6A79A-4978-47C0-BF2A-028FAB3027D5.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Work over the last few weeks has focused on the large warehouse to the left of the layout which is meant to be part of the industry which is rail served. ( The track in front will be inlayed, hence the sleepers spacing). This started out as a US kit from the Cornerstone range which i found in a bottom of a draw. Not sure why or where I bought it. Pleased with the progress so far.  Next will be other the lefthand bridge or the remaining building in the middle back.

Best Wishes

David

IMG_0604.jpeg

Edited by Windjabbers
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of a start on some of the industrial buildings a the back of the the layout behind the retaining wall.  I like the big window, which came from the Willis Greenhouse kit. Hope to get more done over the next few weeks. 

Best Wishes

David

IMG_0669.jpeg

Edited by Windjabbers
  • Like 3

The bridge on the left is starting to come together. I guess when the railway first came through this was a nice stone bridge, but then the coporation came in with there improvements for the tramway and then the Industry served by the siding expanded to this side of the bridge and thus we find Snapper Street bridge a bit of a mixed bag.

Have put the large warehouse right next to it. Not sure it will stay there. But as a first though I quite like it. Only two more buildings to get into first shape before we have the whole of the back and the sides done. But much detail to add and then weathering and painting, redoing the bits I'm not happy with etc etc. 

Best Wishes

David

IMG_0683.jpeg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Banger Blue said:

If that’s Snapper Street, is the owner of the warehouse a certain Harry Organs?

Could be .... but not sure ORGANS in large letters on the side of the warehouse if exactly what i am thinking of going for...

Best Wishes

David

• Funny 1

A bit more progress with the collection of industrial buildings at the back of the layout. I'm aiming for a jumble of buildings that you fined at the back of industrial sites that back on to the railway. Well used, developed over time as the business needed them, but in poor state of repair. The sagging roof is planned, but look more saggy in the photographs. I got board of doing the tiles - so will have to tackle them next time.

Best Wishes

David

IMG_0696.jpeg

IMG_0695.jpeg

Edited by Windjabbers
  • Like 3

Have started on the offices for the factory. You may have noticed a lack of windows in the large warehouse building, so I though we would balance that with a smaller building which clearly had some admin function for the running of the site. I also wanted to make this a two story building, which should help scale just how big the warehouse is.

Windows are tricky, but I though it was worth putting in lintels etc. I want that feeling of a slightly cramped urban site. Given how close to the running line the door is i am planning steps and railings.

Best Wishes

David

IMG_0714.jpeg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK, so a bit of an update. I've got all the buildings along the back and the two bridges in at least first rough shape. This is the first time I've done anything with plasticard or tried to scratchbuild anything so its been interesting to get this far.

I've tried to use a mixture of textures, brick, stone, concrete etc and shape to try and make an everyday scene but at the same time have ago at different things. 

Overall I'm please with the look. I need to sort out the backscene and start to paint the building and add more detail. 

Best Wishes

David

IMG_0749.jpeg

IMG_0750.jpeg

IMG_0751.jpeg

• Like 2

Felt like a rest from glueing plasticard so started to paint one of the building.  Have picked out some of the bricks before painting the whole thing a darker brick colour. 

Need to find a fire escape stair for the door, Would welcome suggestions.

Best Wishes

David

IMG_0762.jpeg

Me:- ok so I don’t need anymore 4mm ex-GER locos. I have enough! 

Also me:- just picked this up from cdcmodels. Really really impressed both with cdcmodels (very helpful) and the model itself.

The J67/9 are a hideously complicated class but making best use of 3D printer cdcmodels offers a wide range of the J67/9 and J68 class.

This is one of the class that was long term resident of Cambridge, although it doesn’t to seem to have done much work after the diesels (Class 03’s) arrived in 58.

It’s basically a way of getting a bespoke locomotive body. 

Just need to sort the chassis out now! But that’s it no more ex GER loco’s

Oh look they also do the J68.....

Best Wishes

David 

C0830A2E-07C8-4E50-8B4A-D199C7181891.jpeg

Edited by Windjabbers
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Your painting has really brought that to life, the change from Sundays picture is incredible. I like the idea of painting the different coloured bricks a strident colour then overpainting with the brick red.

To think that I have been messing around with mixing different colours of brick.... 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, MrWolf said:

Your painting has really brought that to life, the change from Sundays picture is incredible. I like the idea of painting the different coloured bricks a strident colour then overpainting with the brick red.

To think that I have been messing around with mixing different colours of brick.... 

Thanks for your comments. Its the first time Ive had a go at painting any building. 

I got the idea from Iain Rice in his book - Modelling with Plastic Structures Kits, which I have found really helpful.

Best Wishes

David

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 hours ago, sb67 said:

The brickwork looks great on that building David. What colours did you use to overpaint the wall? 

Thanks for your comment.

It's the first time Ive had a go at paining anything.  It has turned out much better than I expected. 

Although there were time when I was doing it that I was thinking that this isn't going to work!

The base colours are Humbrol matt colours - white, black and a couple of greys.

There are two brick colours I used. Railmatch  Dark Brick and Light brick.

Then the mortar wash was a Humbrol light cream mixed with white a tiny bit of black and the diluted and rubbed off.

I think its worked really well on the Willis brick work .

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes

David

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Is the main brick colour just the unpainted sheet? I'm wal! Building and have got Railmatch light and dark brick and I'm struggling to get a look I'm happy with. I havent used Wills sheets though, the stuff I have hasn't got a lot of relief to the mortar courses. 

22 minutes ago, sb67 said:

Is the main brick colour just the unpainted sheet? I'm wal! Building and have got Railmatch light and dark brick and I'm struggling to get a look I'm happy with. I havent used Wills sheets though, the stuff I have hasn't got a lot of relief to the mortar courses. 

Yes I’ve just painted directly on to the Willis sheet. Some of the other building are with slaters but both give you a mortar course.

It’s all been a bit trial and error. The reason I picked this building was it’s the easiest to redo if I totally messed it up!

Iain Rice’s book on this from

Wild Swan I’ve found very good.

Hope this helps

Best Wishes

David 

Edited by Windjabbers
  • Thanks 1

Thanks David, I've been reading The Art of Weathering, also highly recommended and trying those methods. I'm sure I have that Ian Rice book somewhere. 

That building is pretty good for a first attempt, the rust on the roof looks great too was that from the same book?

i think my main problem is the plasticard I'm using. 

4 hours ago, sb67 said:

Thanks David, I've been reading The Art of Weathering, also highly recommended and trying those methods. I'm sure I have that Ian Rice book somewhere. 

That building is pretty good for a first attempt, the rust on the roof looks great too was that from the same book?

i think my main problem is the plasticard I'm using. 

Thanks for your  comments.

The roof is done using Humbrol maskol and a copy of couple roof's I've seen near me on my lockdown walks.  I would like to add some moss to it, but trees and greenery will come after the building have all been painted.

Best Wishes

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

some more steady progress on painting things - the archers at the back are now a nice engineering blue and the pub is starting to be toned down. Both need more work but 2 hours sat in the garden painting while listen to the ‘your dead to me podcast’ has got me this far.  

C17E3CD3-C8F8-4CBC-9CE0-021DE15CFA6A.jpeg

B33186A7-ACA8-486D-9514-D30EF07693A0.jpeg