Appleby Model Engineering / Cambridge Custom Transfers - CASTINGS NOW AVAILABLE !!!!!

cctransuk

Hello John Just sent an email regarding availably of the following:-

4B01 : AXLE MOTION for bogie aggregate and iron ore tipplers 

4A04 : Lima adapter to convert Lima wagon bodies to fit AME bogies 

WU6 : WARFLAT / WARWELL bufferbeam jacks

BW1 : 4.0mm 6 spokes Hand Brake Wheels.

My computer decided to go freaky on me at that point and I didn't get to put my postal address in.

I will send it when I have your reply.

Cheers Trailrage

Edited by TRAILRAGE

• 2 weeks later...

This is a bit of a forlorn hope, but you never know - common sense suggests that these were probably moulded in equal numbers, but perhaps only one  part of the mould filled well?

Can I ask anyone who bought the warwell/flat jacks from John to check their delivery and see if there are any of the opposite hand to to those in my picture - if you have all the other type, perhaps we can arrange to swap to get sets?

John has checked and CCTs stock is all one handed, although actually I should have checked that it isn't the hand I need...

Thanks

Jon

IMG_20210626_140837.jpg

They are smooth other side, I think it might be possible to thin the right hand side then give the whole lot a little tweek with a pair of pliers to make them symmetrical, which might work, but won't be quite as good as having a few that were right way round.

Jon

6 hours ago, jonhall said:

This is a bit of a forlorn hope, but you never know - common sense suggests that these were probably moulded in equal numbers, but perhaps only one  part of the mould filled well?

Can I ask anyone who bought the warwell/flat jacks from John to check their delivery and see if there are any of the opposite hand to to those in my picture - if you have all the other type, perhaps we can arrange to swap to get sets?

John has checked and CCTs stock is all one handed, although actually I should have checked that it isn't the hand I need...

Thanks

Jon

IMG_20210626_140837.jpg

Regrettably, I didn't notice that these castings are handed until at least one order had been despatched; as they are all one handed, I have had to withdraw them from sale.

Sorry,

John Isherwood.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been doing a little work on some of my acquisitions, two dia 1/411 bogie slab coils have given enough bits to make one wagon, and might have enough left overs to make one of the internal users photographed by Paul Bartlett that lost a lot of the frames and handrails. I'm not quite sure what I might do with either of these, they seem to be a South Wales thing, and I'm not modelling there.

Just visible in front is a Coil K, and I DO need these, they were very common at Hamworthy. Alas there were only sufficient V hangers for one wagon, and a set of frames for a second, so I might start looking at drawing this for etch.

image.png.6693df3244503b3e214105829d90c93d.png

• Like 2

I've become distracted by the bits of tank wagon I aquired from John, so I have two questions to the audience

1) The CO2 tank - what length of pipe is needed to fit between the cone ends?

2) the Caustic Soda tank - does anyone know which (if any) of the saddles John lists (listed below to save you looking) are the correct type? Presumably as well as the ribs, there is a fairly high likelyhood of being for different barrel diameters?

TF1a : HALF TANK SADDLE (steel, with tank strap, 4)

TF1b : HALF TANK SADDLE (steel, plain one side, raised edge the other side, 4)

TF1c : HALF TANK SADDLE (steel, raised edge & central rib both sides, thin, 4)

TF1d : HALF TANK SADDLE (steel, raised edge & central rib both sides, thick, 4)

TF5d : TANK SADDLE (10mm thick, 4)

1 hour ago, jonhall said:

Because my caustic soda tank has reached the point it needs some saddles..

Thanks

Jon

IMG_20210715_102130.jpg

If you can post an image of the prototype saddle, I could tell you if any of the AME castings are a match.

John Isherwood.

1 hour ago, jonhall said:

I think we are probably looking at one of these https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/icicausticsodatua/e344644c7 where the saddles are cosmetically all hidden by the skirt, so the main criteria would be the barrel diameter, which I haven't yet worked out.

Jon

Jon,

I don't think that this style of wagon had saddles as such; what you see are continuous anchor angles between tank and chassis.

I doubt the practicability of using the Dublo tank wagon body; look at the Plastruct EMA range for suitable tubes / ends.

John Isherwood.

I was thinking that a couple of saddles would tie the two sides together, and provide a good way of locating the barrel, and give a support to the anchor angle - certainly the CO2 tank in the AME range seemed to take this approach.

Jon

7 hours ago, jonhall said:

I was thinking that a couple of saddles would tie the two sides together, and provide a good way of locating the barrel, and give a support to the anchor angle - certainly the CO2 tank in the AME range seemed to take this approach.

Jon

Since these would be non-protypical saddles, I would need to know the barrel diamenter in order to advise you if I have anything suitable.

John Isherwood.

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, Wayne 37901 said:

Hi John,

I've seen mention elsewhere that you might also have some of AME's transfers range?

Cheers

'Fraid not - if there are any remaining you'd need to talk to John Talbot.

John Isherwood.

• 1 month later...

I've been building Appleby bogies over the weekend, well Appleby sideframes and my own etched Y25 inners, first I built a batch of Y27's, then realised that I needed cast Y25's!

My y25 etch was the first etch I designed, and was intended to make the Cambrian y25 bogie easier to build, but its a pretty common wheelbase, s I also use it for other types. The Applyby Y27's needed the axlebox holes elongated a little, probably because of the slight contractions often found when casting whitemetal, but the cast Y25's fitted without modification.

y25cast4.jpg.26c93efd6c3bb5cfdd91a99f4721d127.jpg

What I did do was open out the holes in the sideframes - when I designed the etch I was using a mire expensive etcher, and the idea of test etches would have been far too expensive to entertain, so I only provided a set of 3 etched holes so that a handbrake drive could pass through the sideframe, however in practice these are actually strong enough to take a bit more metal out, so I started by drilling a 3mm hole through the middle of the 3 small holes

y25cast3.jpg.3700c40abae3e4def9e0203310759bd9.jpg

Otherwise the bogie was assembled as I would have done for the plastic Cambrians, with the exception that I can low-melt solder the Appleby frames to the etch. I did also find that the Appleby frames were a bit chunkier at the bottom, so the side didn't sit entirely vertical until I started filing them a little bit wedge shaped.

y25cast2.jpg.763283c90224071488eca888933a705e.jpg

And the reason I need quite so many bogies!

y25cast1.jpg.c83d35d9eb31fc3e0ebe7d4869d8a649.jpg

Jon

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4