Appleby Model Engineering / Cambridge Custom Transfers - CASTINGS NOW AVAILABLE !!!!!

cctransuk

During my discussions with John Talbot (Appleby Model Engineering), it has emerged that he has a very large quantity of castings from his kits, that he is about to melt down.

PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT JOHN TO TRY AND ACQUIRE SUCH CASTINGS; I AM TRYING TO SEE IF IT IS PRACTICABLE TO MAKE THESE AVAILABLE WITHOUT TROUBLING JOHN.

Amongst those castings are a number from John's 4mm. scale ICI bogie hopper kit.973444956_CASTINGSIMG_0287.jpg.9a77023521c595ce14ad8fb523192782.jpg

It occurs to me that these castings may be useful to anyone who might wish to build either the ICI hoppers or, in particular, the JOHN SUMMERS / BSC hoppers which were very similar indeed - having a slightly lower hopper. It should be fairly simple to scratchbuild the hopper itself from brass or plasic card and, as far as I can tell, the castings would provide most / all of the difficult bits.

Naturally, the castings would be made up into sets to make one wagon, and would be offered in the simplest possible format - probably in a poly bag within a Jiffy bag for posting; NO INSTRUCTIONS would be provided.

In the first instance I would welcome an indication of the likely demand for the castings shown above; if there is sufficient potential demand, I will discuss the matter further with John Talbot.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

PLEASE NOTE : It has subsequently transpired that, other than the bogie castings and the ICI etches, the bogie hopper wagon components are NOT amongst those remaining for sale.

Edited by cctransuk
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I spoke to John very recently when I ordered some transfers, we discussed this very subject. My particular interest was for any remaining FPA chassis, 

I'm still interested if they are amongst those that survive

Regards

Mark

Excellent John that is great news on John Talbots castings I had wondered what had happened to them. I would certainly be interested in the bogie, suspension and buffers that he made. I will have to find his old parts catalogue lists. Did he mention about the TOPS era ICI hopper transfer pack at all. Many thanks Paul

3 minutes ago, pharrc20 said:

Excellent John that is great news on John Talbots castings I had wondered what had happened to them. I would certainly be interested in the bogie, suspension and buffers that he made. I will have to find his old parts catalogue lists. Did he mention about the TOPS era ICI hopper transfer pack at all. Many thanks Paul

I didn't know that it existed - I'll mention transfers in my next communication with John.

It could be very helpful in my task of sorting the castings if you could, at some time, let me have a scan of John's catalogue, please.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cctransuk said:

I didn't know that it existed - I'll mention transfers in my next communication with John.

It could be very helpful in my task of sorting the castings if you could, at some time, let me have a scan of John's catalogue, please.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Yes John had a whole range of wagon transfers in 4mm covering ones for most of his kits and useful for other non-kit wagons too. Oh and a range of paints too. I might have a scan of his catalogue I can send yoh will check on hdd laptop shortly and PM you.

Cheers Paul

3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

If you've got WhatsApp I can send you a copy of the catalogues (plural!). I actually know where they are.

Mike.

I don't do WhatsApp, I'm afraid; but another offer has been made (above), thanks.

Regards,

John.

3 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

Yes John had a whole range of wagon transfers in 4mm covering ones for most of his kits and useful for other non-kit wagons too. Oh and a range of paints too. I might have a scan of his catalogue I can send yoh will check on hdd laptop shortly and PM you.

Cheers Paul

I now have a 1999 parts, transfers and paints list; but I would welcome sight of a kits list, please.

Regards,

John.

• Like 1

Hi John

Thanks for taking this on, I wish Mr Talbot well.

I'd be very interested in ANY warflat / warwell  parts e.g. gloucester gps bogies, end jacks or buffers.

• Agree 1

Thanks John for undertaking what appears to be fairly mammoth task. As everyone seems to gave a wishes for part, mine is the UIC suspension/axle box so I can get on and rebuild some Traffic Services tank wagons etc. 

Martin

4 hours ago, Mr T said:

Thanks John for undertaking what appears to be fairly mammoth task. As everyone seems to gave a wishes for part, mine is the UIC suspension/axle box so I can get on and rebuild some Traffic Services tank wagons etc. 

Martin

You'll be wanting the UIC ferry buffers too, presumably?

Perfect for the BR prototype CCT, GUV, SR Ferry Vans (bogie and 4W); etc.; etc.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, bartram108 said:

As stated above, I haven't the slightest idea what is included in the "three to four thousand" castings that are coming my way.

Rest assured; when I have worked out what I have - which will not be for several months - this list will be the first to know.

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you, John.  You are putting a considerable amount of effort into this and have a life as well; I doubt that there will be anything of interest to me in the haul but you never know, and I will keep an eye out.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cctransuk said:

As stated above, I haven't the slightest idea what is included in the "three to four thousand" castings that are coming my way.

Rest assured; when I have worked out what I have - which will not be for several months - this list will be the first to know.

John Isherwood.

Thank you

5 hours ago, cctransuk said:

John Isherwood.

Thanks John

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, cctransuk said:

John Isherwood.

I have a feeling in my water that whatever there is won't be enough when the wolves are unleashed!

Mike.

I've been pondering how to make five FPA wagons for a while now. A chance of any of these and the caustic soda/china clay TUA would be very helpful.

Edited by Flood
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1