ZHV spoil wagons from Bachmann tipplers.

Hi everyone, I’m looking create a rake of ZHV spoil wagons, complete with slots in the bodies, and have a couple of questions.

1) I have a few Bachmann 16 tonners with top flap doors, Ref: 37-226F. I’ve searched the net and browsed Mr Bartlett’s excellent site and can’t see any of this type as a ZHV with body slots. Were there any? Or did only the wagons without top flaps get used?

2) was there any set size or placement of the slots? All I can tell from the pictures I’ve seen as it appears pretty much in the middle of the body panel either side of the side door.

3) I also have some of the Bachmann olive green ZHV tipplers. I can’t seem to find any pictures online of them in this livery? If there was any in this livery, would they have had the slots cut in too?

Look forward to hearing any replies. 

Rich.

Edited by Clagsniffer
Spelling

• RMweb Gold

Re your question 3, this photo on the Departmentals site may show an example that might have originally been in olive green (looking at the buffer shanks) before it transitioned to various shades of rust.

ZHV photo

Then again it might be green organic matter.

Cheers

Darius

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Clagsniffer said:

1) I have a few Bachmann 16 tonners with top flap doors, Ref: 37-226F. I’ve searched the net and browsed Mr Bartlett’s excellent site and can’t see any of this type as a ZHV with body slots. We’re there any? Or did only the wagons without top flats get used?

I think that most of the 16 tonners taken into the engineer’s fleet would have been rebodied examples so would be without top flaps.  If you’re  lucky, you might find an exception to this, but the majority wouldn’t have top flaps.

The ZKV based on the former tippler didn't need the slots, having been designed for 26t loads, against the 16.5t of the ex-Minfit ZHV. It could be that the Bachmann model is based on a rare example that had been re-painted, and given the wrong TOPS code.

The ZHVs would, in principle, have used wagons with bodies in reasonable condition; from personal experience in the mid-1970s, many unrebodied minerals were in a pretty poor shape (I'm sure the sides aren't meant to come out with the load when the electro-magnet picks it up).

The details of the slot size would have been given somewhere; there may even have been a thin plywood mask with a slot cut into it, to save staff having to measure each wagon.

28 minutes ago, Mark Forrest said:

I think that most of the 16 tonners taken into the engineer’s fleet would have been rebodied examples so would be without top flaps.  If you’re  lucky, you might find an exception to this, but the majority wouldn’t have top flaps.

That makes sense, I might flog the tipplers I have and get some without the top flaps.

15 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

The ZKV based on the former tippler didn't need the slots, having been designed for 26t loads, against the 16.5t of the ex-Minfit ZHV. It could be that the Bachmann model is based on a rare example that had been re-painted, and given the wrong TOPS code.

I have some Parkside kits of the iron ore tippler that I have repurposed as ZKV’s, I also some of the new Hornby stone tipplers that I will use as unfitted ZKO’s.

At this point I think I have more engineers stock that anything else, I find the subject interesting given the variety of wagon types used.

Thanks for the replies chaps.