Problem hand built turnout

ikcdab

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for the relevant replies. I didn't use anything to hold the rail upright, but relied on the chairs to do so. Having looked at my B8 turnout more closely, I decided to leave well alone. I seethe I have put in far too many slide chairs as I misread the template. That won't have helped. I also see that i have stupidly put the chairs with the keys on the inside on one of the switch rails that also hasn't helped. So this turnout is now relegated to the learning curve and I have started again on a new formation. This is progressing far better and no similar problems.

Its a single lead junction with C10 turnouts.

Ian

20200805_091303.jpg.ef5db9c48cd7bf5ef16452a544d58452.jpg20200729_120946.jpg.d30057dee7f4b03a06f8ee7bc665bcdb.jpg20200805_091245.jpg.ab3be84681c541ddf443de8e6fb88623.jpg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Looks good. What gauge is that?

I had problems with one turnout, I made the same mistake as you, put a chair on the wrong way round. the other common thing is to get the rail upside down.

On 05/08/2020 at 07:52, d00m said:

After 60 pints my track might wander....

The club installed a bar in the upper hall about the time we started building New Annington. I'm sure it took more than 60 pints to build it.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Ikcdab

That is looking very good.

One of the best resources I found for the correct position of chairs were the diagrams and plans from Exactoscale 

For a long time there were diagrams showing positions and types of chairs for switches, common crossings, diamonds and slips. These of course were for the use of their special chairs

At one time they also allowed downloads of their P4 turnout and crossing plans for their kits, whilst designed for P4 equally usable for both EM & 00 gauges. And of course any other scale. The C&L plans also can be used a a guide, but are not as detailed 

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, hayfield said:

One of the best resources I found for the correct position of chairs were the diagrams and plans from Exactoscale 

For a long time there were diagrams showing positions and types of chairs for switches, common crossings, diamonds and slips.

Hi John,

Chair diagrams are still available:

https://exactoscale.com/track-components/chair-positions/

Click the blue labels to download the PDF files.

Zoom in to 300% or more to see detailed chair drawings.

cheers,

Martin.

Edited by martin_wynne
  • Thanks 1

Martin

Thank you I thought these were lost when the website went down, I still use the Exactoscale turnout and crossing kit plans I was able to download from their website in the early years, there are a couple of areas where both types do not match

I have one of those bound folders with clear plastic pockets where I keep this info , plus C&L wiring diagrams etc

2 hours ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Members of Scalefour Society have access to some templates but they may need adjustment to correct size.

135162979_00sleeperlayou800t.jpg.8764c119893f8bfe81fe8353770dcbe6.jpg

I just recently used a Scalefour B6 template to generate a partly finished 16.5 mm gauge scaled version in CAD. The chair positions were shown on the original, but I only wanted to see the timbering sizes and locations, so it can be used to build a rapid assembly jig. (rail positions are shown as slots for FB rail bases).

Andy

Ikcdab

Thanks to Martin link these Exactoscale guides are invaluable when building turnouts

https://exactoscale.com/track-components/chair-positions/

Certainly for those using the Exactoscale E4CH 502A additional switch chairs (these work just as well in 00 & EM gauge

But also for those using just the standard or standard and bridge chairs

Likewise the common crossing guide also comes in handy

For those who do not like buying too many different chair packs, the latest C&L chair packs do come into their own

https://www.clfinescale.co.uk/online-store/3-BOLT-CHAIRS-X-350-NEW-14-Chair-Sprue-plus-2-Fish-plates-10-Standard-chairs-2-L1-Chairs-2-S1J-Chairs-Rail-Joint-2-Fish-plates-p201475300

Each sprue comes with 10 standard chairs, 2 bridge chairs, 2 J chairs and 2 H section fishplates, these used with the Exactoscale special chairs gives the builder the ability to make even more detailed turnouts and crossings

Not to forget for the first time the same format is available for those building GWR layouts there is now from C&L a 2 bolt version, add to this the Modelu 2 bolt slide chairs and with a bit of adaptation more accurate models of GWR turnouts can be made

Even 7 mm modelers are soon to be catered for with the & mm 3 bolt sprues again with the same chairs and fishplates are in an advanced stage of production

• RMweb Gold
On 06/08/2020 at 20:01, roythebus said:

Looks good. What gauge is that?

I had problems with one turnout, I made the same mistake as you, put a chair on the wrong way round. the other common thing is to get the rail upside down.

It's 16.5mm gauge. 

Just to complete this topic for me, here it is almost complete. Just waiting for a few more chairs to finish.

This is for my new layout, I am thinking of starting a thread dedicated to it if there was interest. 

20200808_125620.jpg.1fbb78559a2a13d7f0d53ef9b83e4034.jpg

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 4 weeks later...

If it's still relevant to anyone, can I throw in an observation that people have overlooked?

The term 'superglue' is very generic these days- No doubt at some point the term was patented by one manufacturer and thus has a very specific combination of ethyl cyanoacrylate. However, there are so many generic 'superglues' these days.

I use 'superglue' (Loctite) to hold the rail against slide chairs- countless people do. However, I bought some 'superglue' from the local village shop when I ran out- and it melted the chair to an unrecognisable blob.

Ikcdab, those replacement C10s look superb. I hope my renewed attempts can get to look like that.

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Derekstuart said:

If it's still relevant to anyone, can I throw in an observation that people have overlooked?

The term 'superglue' is very generic these days- No doubt at some point the term was patented by one manufacturer and thus has a very specific combination of ethyl cyanoacrylate. However, there are so many generic 'superglues' these days.

I use 'superglue' (Loctite) to hold the rail against slide chairs- countless people do. However, I bought some 'superglue' from the local village shop when I ran out- and it melted the chair to an unrecognisable blob.

Ikcdab, those replacement C10s look superb. I hope my renewed attempts can get to look like that.

I can add to Derek's observation, I was quite happy using Locktite thin superglue (from supermarkets etc) until I bought a bottle of Everbuilds Stick 2 industrial strength superglue. Only a little dearer but for a much larger bottle and so much stronger (also safe with plastic chairs)

• Like 1