Swiss in Austria

duff man

Dear all

As a railway modeller following Austrian practice I have little knowledge of most things Swiss, however it is obvious that Swiss traction is regularly spotted on Austrian metals and what I would like to understand is what is there reason for being in Austria. I know the winter ski specials are exactly what they are but why can they be seen on the Brenner /Kufstine corridor?. I have evidence of SBB and BLS traction working this route with freight, I even have details of SBB loco's being stabled at Brenner, to get there what possible working could they be on?  I'm sure there is a simple explanation which isn't clear to me. My motivation is driven by a desire to happily add some of the lovely liveries carried by both SBB and BLS Vectrons/ TRAXX etc to my model fleet.

Any comments, theory's, or general guidance would be most appreciated please.

Craig.

In modern times SBB (and I think BLS) have hired Vectron/Traxx to any number of operators, I've seen SBB loco's on shed in Koln, and both BLS and SBB locos on the Rhein Gorge route in Germany, I suspect both operators are also moving into through-haulage.

Jon

Edited by jonhall

There are a number of SBB Re482 (and a few Re421) on long term hire to other operators, mostly in Germany. I suspect that these are the ones most often seen in Austria,p. Although they still carry SBB livery and are SBB owned in reality many of them haven’t worked for SBB for over 10 years.

Railcolor.net should have the details

BLS Traxx and Vectrons are now used in numerous countries working right through from the Netherlands to Italy so are no doubt often seen in Austria. 

Yes, the inter-working and cross-hiring confuses me too.

I too saw BLS locos on freight on the Austrian side of the Brenner Pass (in 2015), but I don't know if they work through to the Italian side. Only saw Italian locos on freight through Brixen in 2018, but I wasn't there long enough for that to be representative really.

Also saw a BLS loco at Aachen in 2019.

The flip side to the Swiss in Austria is (was?) the use of ÖBB locos in Germany on Stuttgart-Zurich services as far as Singen where they reverse and hand over to an SBB loco for the short stretch into Switzerland. I was told when I saw it in 2018 that was a kind of quid pro quo arrangement for the use of DB locos elsewhere.

Edited by eastwestdivide

48 minutes ago, doctor quinn said:

I can’t really add much to the debate but here’s an SBB Cargo 421 at Bregenz Strand in 2014

Looks like one of the Zurich-Bregenz-Lindau-Munich EC trains. Swiss electric loco for Zurich/Lindau and German diesels for Lindau/Munich.

Although not for all that much longer as that stretch is being electrified, and the loco-hauled trains will be replaced by I think Swiss tilting EMUs.

• Like 1

Gents,

Many thanks for your input on this topic, your thoughts, theory's, and general help are much appreciated. I have now acquired a pair of Roco SBB Vectrons in Alpine livery. I now have Swiss in Austria, thank you.

Craig.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...