Lima 5323W BR(M) Mk.1 RB? Dining car

I've come across an old Lima Mk1 RB (I think), with replacement bogies, one of which has fallen off in any case.

Not the epitomy of fidelity I can see but I'm tempted to rebogie it, add a bit of detail rather than consign it for disposal.

A few questions of the community if I may:

• The livery which is early British Railways yet with specific LMS designation - is this authentic and does it suggest very early BR period?
  • Is it an RB?
  • What bogies should it have to be period correct? Commonwealth (post-1957 ish?) or does that conflict with the LMS livery?

Any other comments welcome, and I appreciate that it's questionable if it's worth much time and effort, or expense...!

Thanks.

IMG_6863.jpeg

IMG_6862.jpeg

The problem I had when fitting Replica Commonwealths to Lima Mk1s was that using the correct size 14mm wheels the flanges touched the underside of the floor if the ride height was anything like correct. I ended up having to cut slots in the floor to allow space for the wheels.

003.jpg.24ef98cb20763baba0ec2141551294f0.jpg

Edited by giz
Photo added
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, giz said:

The problem I had when fitting Replica Commonwealths to Lima Mk1s was that using the correct size 14mm wheels the flanges touched the underside of the floor if the ride height was anything like correct. I ended up having to cut slots in the floor to allow space for the wheels.

003.jpg.24ef98cb20763baba0ec2141551294f0.jpg

A common  problem with many Lima coaches and the GUV when replacing the under diameter pizza cutters originally fitted with the correct  diameter wheels.

Mike.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

A common  problem with many Lima coaches and the GUV when replacing the under diameter pizza cutters originally fitted with the correct  diameter wheels.

Mike.

Been there - got the tee-shirt; many, many times!

Worth it, though - Lima coaches scrub up very well with a repaint and re-line.

John Isherwood.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
14 hours ago, 97xx said:
  • What bogies should it have to be period correct? Commonwealth (post-1957 ish?) or does that conflict with the LMS livery?

The LMS lettering is entirely a figment of Lima's imagination and should be removed.

• Agree 4
  • Funny 1

Lima actually did release a Commonwealth bogie on some of their RES GUV's.    This is a direct pushfit to the underframe.  Was the "Dining Car" and Roundel applied to an RBR?. 

Edited by GWR-fan

20 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

Lima actually did release a Commonwealth bogie on some of their RES GUV's.    This is a direct pushfit to the underframe.  Was the "Dining Car" and Roundel applied to an RBR?.

The CW bogies fitted to Lima RES GUV's were way under scale, better to use Replica Rail versions with Romford 14mm wheels although slots needed to be cut in the underframe for clearance.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

At the point of reglazing. 

I have bought SEF 'flush' glazing but frankly not sure it looks very good - the upper vent windows in particular are like 'bubbles'.

What are people's views on:

1. living with the original (which I have polished up nicely) accepting the thick body sides
  2. Installing SEF AND the original as a sort of 'keeper' (per SEF instructions)
  3. Cutting roof up to remove original and using SEF only.

Thanks.

• RMweb Premium

I have used SEF on a Lima Mk1 (the fictitious BRT one) and a Loadhaul 122 converted from a 117. I kept the orginal Lima glazing and used it to hold the SEF in place on the Mk1, which seems more secure. I've knocked a couple out on the 122. No major problem, easy to refit, but having the Lima glazing behind didn't seem to cause any major problem. I agree it doesn't look great in the small opening windows, but at the same time it still looks better, I think, than the original.

Tried the SEF and 50:50, so left out for now.

For those interested, work included:

1. Bachmann commonwealth bogies on brass bushes (removing underframe to clear flanges)
  2. Adding some interior detail (buffet counter, wood panelling, table colour, a few 'customers')
  3. Adding plasticard propane boxes
  4. Adding second battery box - made up from scribed plasticard
  5. Removing all roof water pipes, vents and weld lines
  6. Removed Lima buffers and added BR ones
  7. Removed end water pipes
  8. Adding correct number of welded sections to roof using Archer arcweld transfers
  9. Adding correct clamshell vents and Ventaxias
  10. Added end handrails
  11. Repainted roof
  12. Stripped Frankenlivery from body (see original pictures at top of post)
  13. Added strips of 10 thou plasticard rod for window vent draught preventers
  14. Added steps to solebar
  15. Primed body/underframe
  16. Masked sides, blew in underframe and ends in weathered black
  17. Masked ends/underframe and repainted, relined, named and numbered sides
  18. Added C1 and solebar transfers
  19. Satin varnished the lot

Things I know that remain incorrect, some of which I could fix:

• Missing the rectangular kitchen vent - might add later
  • Probably need stepboard on bogie below BOTH emergency exits - only did one, but can do other
  • Probably should have removed carriage end steps, although not 100% sure whether I might be OK as I haven't added later OLE flashes (is that when steps were removed?)
  • Stars for water connection points on solebar?
  • Curtains
  • I'm sure we can debate the precise positioning of the 'Buffet Restaurant Car' but I have enough examples of variations to be happy enough...

So far it's only cost me a pot of paint and the vents as everything else was around. Some of the transfers we 40 year old Methfix - worked perfectly.

This is what I've ended up with:

IMG_7662.jpeg

IMG_7657.jpeg

IMG_7663.jpeg

Edited by 97xx
Forgot buffers
  • Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

52 minutes ago, 97xx said:
  • Stars for water connection points on solebar?

The stars indicate the position of the cords for releasing any vacuum in the brake cylinders.

There would also be EMERGENCY LIGHTING POINT markings on the solebar; plus FILTER and MAIN TANKS TO BE FILLED WITH DRINKING WATER ONLY markings on the ends.

John Isherwood.

6 hours ago, TonyMay said:

BR Mk1 coaches have a superficial resemblance to LMS Period III coaches, but not if you know what you're looking at.

Yes, I've subsequently spotted that and imagined it was why Lima tried it as an 'LMS Dining Car'. Bad choice though as RB was late Mk1 anyway...

7 hours ago, cctransuk said:

The stars indicate the position of the cords for releasing any vacuum in the brake cylinders.

There would also be EMERGENCY LIGHTING POINT markings on the solebar; plus FILTER and MAIN TANKS TO BE FILLED WITH DRINKING WATER ONLY markings on the ends.

John Isherwood.

Thanks John.

The 'main tanks' annotation - would that have been on the ends of an RB with underframe as opposed to end-fill roof water tanks?

Anyway, my 40-year old transfers don't have that detail so I can't apply it. I was very conscious that as much as possible I needed to 'make do' else I'd end up spending as much on modifying a fundamentally out-dated and fairly poor model as buying a new Hornby RB!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 97xx said:

Thanks John.

The 'main tanks' annotation - would that have been on the ends of an RB with underframe as opposed to end-fill roof water tanks?

Anyway, my 40-year old transfers don't have that detail so I can't apply it. I was very conscious that as much as possible I needed to 'make do' else I'd end up spending as much on modifying a fundamentally out-dated and fairly poor model as buying a new Hornby RB!

To the best of my knowledge, the lettering would have been located on the vehicle end - but I am open to correction.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1

On 16/03/2021 at 21:51, cctransuk said:

To the best of my knowledge, the lettering would have been located on the vehicle end - but I am open to correction.

John Isherwood.

No water filling pipes on the end of a RB. On the frame there should also be buckeye exam, steam heat overhaul (SHO then date) brake overhaul (BO then date).

Al Taylor.