Lima 5323W BR(M) Mk.1 RB? Dining car

I've come across an old Lima Mk1 RB (I think), with replacement bogies, one of which has fallen off in any case.

Not the epitomy of fidelity I can see but I'm tempted to rebogie it, add a bit of detail rather than consign it for disposal.

A few questions of the community if I may:

• The livery which is early British Railways yet with specific LMS designation - is this authentic and does it suggest very early BR period?
  • Is it an RB?
  • What bogies should it have to be period correct? Commonwealth (post-1957 ish?) or does that conflict with the LMS livery?

Any other comments welcome, and I appreciate that it's questionable if it's worth much time and effort, or expense...!

Thanks.

IMG_6863.jpeg

IMG_6862.jpeg

Super, thanks!  

Probably the 'easy' option is Bachmann CW bogies - but a bit pricey albeit that wheels included. Any other recommendations?

The problem I had when fitting Replica Commonwealths to Lima Mk1s was that using the correct size 14mm wheels the flanges touched the underside of the floor if the ride height was anything like correct. I ended up having to cut slots in the floor to allow space for the wheels.

003.jpg.24ef98cb20763baba0ec2141551294f0.jpg

Edited by giz
Photo added
  • RMweb Gold
37 minutes ago, giz said:

The problem I had when fitting Replica Commonwealths to Lima Mk1s was that using the correct size 14mm wheels the flanges touched the underside of the floor if the ride height was anything like correct. I ended up having to cut slots in the floor to allow space for the wheels.

003.jpg.24ef98cb20763baba0ec2141551294f0.jpg

A common  problem with many Lima coaches and the GUV when replacing the under diameter pizza cutters originally fitted with the correct  diameter wheels.

Mike.

6 minutes ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

A common  problem with many Lima coaches and the GUV when replacing the under diameter pizza cutters originally fitted with the correct  diameter wheels.

Mike.

Been there - got the tee-shirt; many, many times!

Worth it, though - Lima coaches scrub up very well with a repaint and re-line.

John Isherwood.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, 97xx said:
  • What bogies should it have to be period correct? Commonwealth (post-1957 ish?) or does that conflict with the LMS livery?

The LMS lettering is entirely a figment of Lima's imagination and should be removed.

• Agree 2

Lima actually did release a Commonwealth bogie on some of their RES GUV's.    This is a direct pushfit to the underframe.  Was the "Dining Car" and Roundel applied to an RBR?. 

Edited by GWR-fan
20 hours ago, GWR-fan said:

Lima actually did release a Commonwealth bogie on some of their RES GUV's.    This is a direct pushfit to the underframe.  Was the "Dining Car" and Roundel applied to an RBR?.

The CW bogies fitted to Lima RES GUV's were way under scale, better to use Replica Rail versions with Romford 14mm wheels although slots needed to be cut in the underframe for clearance.

• 2 weeks later...