Layout Advice

Newbie2020

• RMweb Premium

Hi Everyone,

Firstly, I'm a complete Newbie - so be gentle!

I am starting a layout on and 8 x 4 board with a small side area for a fiddle yard. I want a combination of "play-ability" and "modelling". My intention is to have this as a rural 1950's (ish) suburban branch line (with the fiddle yard as more urban with engine sheds etc). I've played around some with AnyRail and have come up with the attached plan which seems reasonably interesting without being over complicated for a novice.

I would love to have some comments or input from more experienced modellers as to the practicality of this layout and anything that stands out as wrong or difficult to achieve.

As i mentioned, Please be gentle!

IMG_20200708_162349.jpg

Edited by Newbie2020

Certainly seems fairly straight forward. Might I suggest putting in a run around loop next to the station? Would certainly give you some more playablilty and depending on where the scenic break is to the left of the loop you could include some sidings to do some shunting.

One thing I would note though is the number of point motors you'll need, unless you're operating them manually. How comfortable with wiring are you?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm quite happy with doing the wiring for the points, so that wouldn't be a problem (have a friend who's an electrician too - just in case!). I like the idea of a run around loop round the station.

Thanks

My first thoughts on looking at that are:

(1) That's a very short run for the size of the board.

(2) Accessing the fiddle yard from the inner loop is going to be very awkward.

I think I'd be tempted to make the continuous run the full 8' length of the board, and have the sidings inside it.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Newbie :wink_mini:,

There's a section of the forum for track planning questions here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/66-layout-track-design/ You might like to post there to get the attention of the people interested in layout design. (Or ask a moderator to move this one.)

Here are a few things:

It looks like you might have used R1 curves in the inner circuit. Is that right? If so, be aware that most ready-to-run locos and rolling stock require at least R2 radius. (Some of the small 0-4-0s might be happy on R1 and 4-wheel wagons can work.) What do you intend to run?

The two circuits look a little odd in the way they change spacing - as if they can't decide whether to be double track or separate lines that just happen to be close together. But maybe you've got scenic plans that would make sense of that?

The journey from the inner circuit to the fiddle yard (and back) seems a bit awkward.

Welcome to RMWeb!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for that. I'm pretty sure they're 2nd radius on the inner oval with third on the outer, I'll check when I get home later.  You're quite right about the odd looking track at the right. This is because I want to put the outer oval through a tunnel at that point so left  more room in between to allow for scenic work etc. Ideally I'll be running locos like the new large prairie with 2-3 coaches plus some small locos with light goods wagons.

Thanks for the pointer on the section for track planning!

The run is most of the board. The empty space under the fiddle yard is because there will be no board there! ?Just was't sure how to make up a board 8x4 with an additional bit on the side with AnyRail 6. I'm sure Ill figure that out shortly. I see what you mean about access form the middle loop think I may have to put in scissor crossing to help there?

2 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Hi Newbie :wink_mini:,

There's a section of the forum for track planning questions here: https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/forum/66-layout-track-design/ You might like to post there to get the attention of the people interested in layout design. (Or ask a moderator to move this one.)

Here are a few things:

It looks like you might have used R1 curves in the inner circuit. Is that right? If so, be aware that most ready-to-run locos and rolling stock require at least R2 radius. (Some of the small 0-4-0s might be happy on R1 and 4-wheel wagons can work.) What do you intend to run?

The two circuits look a little odd in the way they change spacing - as if they can't decide whether to be double track or separate lines that just happen to be close together. But maybe you've got scenic plans that would make sense of that?

The journey from the inner circuit to the fiddle yard (and back) seems a bit awkward.

Welcome to RMWeb!

Good advice in general, as a lot of modern stock will not run on R1. If you want to use modern stock you should definitely stick to a minimum of R2, and even if you aren't right now then it will ensure you don't run into problems later on. However, if you are certain that you will only run old stock (perhaps because you intend to use this for 'dipping your toe in') then you will likely be able to get away with R1 or even less as old locos are far more tolerant of tight curves. My Lima class 47s from the 1980s managed R1 curves when that was all I had - and my Hornby Hall of a similar vinatge would have done if my tracklaying had been better (getting the rails into the fishplates would have helped), and I have seen videos of a Triang (I believe) 9F running on even tighter corners. Of course, it will still look much better if you use the largest radius possible as all set track curves are tighter than you would be likely to find on a real railway.

Edited by DK123GWR
Punctuation
  • Like 1