Continental Baking Spur - A boxfile layout in O Scale

I owe J Pachl many thanks for the inspiration for this. I first became enamored with O Scale back in the 70's after seeing it in the model press and at a few local clubs (all gone now, sadly). Even though I've modeled in HO and N, I've had some equipment I bought years ago and it's always been a temptress. I've just never had the room for a layout. Browsing these pages, I saw the N Scale boxfiles done by J Pachl and remembered I had some laying around for other projects and figured I'd see if I could do the same but in O Scale. I grabbed some track, one switch and laid it out. It worked. Since they'll be folded up for storage, I had some O Scale photo flats I picked up from eBay and some off-cuts from the backscene for the Reading Central micro I'm doing in N. Since that project is idle for a bit while I get some buildings done, this worked great. Operating scheme is simple. A short (really short - 1 locomotive, 1 car and a caboose) backs down from the hidden track. The caboose gets dropped on the main track, the loco and car back up, if there's a car in the siding, pull it and couple it to the caboose and spot the load. If I simulate operating procedures, it would take 15 - 20 minutes to replicate the pull and spot move. My friend Ed Kapucinski made a switching simulator (free to use on his website www.conrail1285.com) that combines a timer and sound effects for common tasks.

So here's a few shots of what I did in about an hour and a half...enjoy.

Jeff

20200725_161647.jpg

20200725_161915.jpg

20200725_164636.jpg

• Like 6

Like it!! Although why use two boxfiles when one will do....

000023513856.Jpeg.22acc4469dbf33ffd69828d0a5b2bb29.Jpeg

Actually the U.S. version got no further than this plan. I did use it in British mode, with a basic "fiddlestick" replacing the switch (point, turnout, whatever)...

000023526656.Jpeg.c72a5305de3e4e4464db58b979b28b3a.Jpeg

Edited by F-UnitMad
Spelling!!
  • Like 6

Those are cool! I went whole hog...I used 3 boxfiles but I might drop one in favor of a fiddle stick since we're only dealing with a single line. Then I'll have an extra for further deviousness...

Jeff