Help with new layout design - Railmodeller Pro

posneg6

Hi I hope this is the right place for this question, I am about to buy Railmodeller Pro and wondered if it's possible to import a CJ freezer design into it? if so how? thanks all.

layout plan 64.jpeg

• RMweb Premium

I don't know the RMPro package, but I can't imagine any way a line drawing could be converted into discrete bits of track selected from a library, even if the turnouts CJF used happened to match any known brand of track.  It might perhaps be possible to import the picture and try to lay track on top of it, which would probably prove that the more complicated combinations of turnouts need more space, using currently available items, than he allowed for.  If anyone can pull this trick off, it'll be @Harlequin - all yours Phil!!

Edited by Chimer

• RMweb Gold

I don't know the capabilities of RailModeller Pro, either!

If it can load an image as a background and set it's size accurately you might be able to lay parts on top and get a reasonable match. But note that this plan has been divided in two by the book spine and so the two halves would have to be carefully aligned.

Probably better to use RMPro to create a new design from scratch, of the size of the space you actually have available (!), and then copy this plan into it bit by bit.

This is "Sanditon" from the PSL Book of Model Railway Track Plans, published 1988, when we should be able to assume CJF was using Streamline or Settrack geometry for his OO designs. (He talks about using special 12° and 22.5° set squares in the final chapter which would support that.)

Min radius 600mm and grid spacing 300mm.

There are 3 levels of track crossing each other on the left hand side and even the turntable has two separate levels of track running beneath it!

I think the steepest gradient would be about 1 in 35 and that should be just about fine for his stated train length of 4 coaches.

So it all hangs together as a do-able plan today, I think.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1

You'd need a lot more aisle space to make that plan useable with the 3+ operators I'd guess it would need to be used to it's maximum.

But it would probably have a lot to offer if you were all slim and social distancing is not required :)

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

It is possible to put an image into Railmodeller Pro. The package will not add the track automatically, but you can place track over the image. I have just quickly tried it with your image, and it appears that the points are approximately Peco Medium radius. 

• RMweb Premium

The general track work does seem possible. A couple of minor tweaks will be required, but I have just put it together (roughly) in Railmodeller. 

To import the image you go to the file menu, here there is an option of add image. This image can then be resized as required. 

Screenshot_2020-07-27_at_13_57_32.png.72c686cd4a598c6e33ccde802d94d4d3.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of an eye-bender this. It turns out that there is no continuous running capability on this plan, as far as i can see, which is a lot of layout to have no loop at all. One could be introduced fairly easily but what the operational consequences would be I have no idea

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all your replies, I have gone ahead and drawn the layout with my digitals (fingers). on two layers of tracing paper. the size is a bit bigger than the original it's now 5x3 mtr.

I have changed the plan to suit my needs and added a through route from the top level on a viaduct that has the option of looping on the top level or continuing down to lower level and back up again.

I have put the lower level track Down and have tweaked it to iron out a few problems. I've attached the DCC and apart from the reverse loop on the WYE everything seems to be going okay. Next job when I'm happy with the track I shall ballast and then pull all my staples out.

IMG_6060.jpeg.b4ab865ef854411c143d04a96ce60747.jpeg

IMG_6047.jpeg

Hi    Looks good.    That bottom bit looks ugly, doesn't flow.  Have you tried moving the left bottom point a few inches to the right to get a better tangent to the right?  or maybe two points in series.   See my doodle.  Red is suggestion, Blue and green alternatives.

Screenshot (466).png

2 minutes ago, DavidCBroad said:

Hi    Looks good.    That bottom bit looks ugly, doesn't flow.  Have you tried moving the left bottom point a few inches to the right to get a better tangent to the right?  or maybe two points in series.   See my doodle.  Red is suggestion, Blue and green alternatives.

Hi David , sorry I should have mentioned the pano is distorted and ththe bottom track is not com[plete it will run down to a canal. Your suggestion in blue and red as hell I first had it you can see I removed that point at the left.

2 minutes ago, DavidCBroad said:

Screenshot (466).png

IMG_6050.jpeg

IMG_6048.jpeg

• Like 1