Integration of Parkside and Ratio

Fat Controller

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, sparaxis said:

Makes sense to me

It does and presumably there'll be some sorting out between Wills and Ratio too.  I wonder if the Ratio brand will disappear entirely?

On the other hand, for older modellers this may be like changing the colour of cheese and onion crisp packets and we may never get over it. (Is it just coincidence that the correct colour for cheese and onion is not unlike the colour of a Ratio box...)

Edited by Flying Pig
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

On the other hand, for older modellers this may be like changing the colour of cheese and onion crisp packets and we may never get over it. (Is it just coincidence that the correct colour for cheese and onion is not unlike the colour of a Ratio box...)

There should be a law about the colour coding of crisp packets!

• Like 1
  • Agree 7
  • Funny 2

1 hour ago, Butler Henderson said:

Coaches & Wagons = Parkside

Buildings = Wills

Signals = Ratio 

?

Parkside don't really have a history of doing coaches though. Ratio does, even to wooden ones back in the 1950s, so what they've done does seem a little strange.

I note the 'Grand Junction' LNWR station parts are now Ratio so I think their building kits will stay Ratio for the immediate future. They also do both 4mm and N scales whereas Wills is just 4mm scale.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Flying Pig said:

It does and presumably there'll be some sorting out between Wills and Ratio too.  I wonder if the Ratio brand will disappear entirely?

There's probably a Group Standard...

• Funny 2

6 hours ago, Antony Farrell said:

When was the last time Ratio put out a new coach kit? With the loss of the 4mm ranges swallowed by Coopercraft I could do with some easy to build (relatively) GWR Dean and Churchward coaching stock.

The old Slaters kits?

Slaters have them. They've already released most of the wagons. The PO wagons are available from POW Sides.

There was something a little while ago saying they needed new instructions for the coach kits.

Jason

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I've heard that the Ratio van kits are more complicated than similar ones from Parkside - maybe better to keep them apart?

I've not found them so; I've just been looking at some of mine, built some 40+ years back, and they seem comparable to Parkside.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, JohnR said:

I've heard that the Ratio van kits are more complicated than similar ones from Parkside - maybe better to keep them apart?

‘I've heard” 

.... that’s how rumours start.

I've built both. Ratio kits are pretty good*. Some older Parkside kits can be a little tricky (due to age)... they are the same but different. Both have their strengths and limitations. 

* due to the join between  sole bar and floor they can be bothersome if you’re working in EM or P4 ....but you’d cobble up something nice and brassy using after sales parts if that was the case.

Griff

• Like 1

The Ratio goods vans were fine, the complicated one is the SR Bogie B. Spoiled IMHO by too many seperate bits to line up then etchings to add that could have been moulded in. And then when you look closely silly errors like wrongly positioned door hinges. IIRC.

Edited by Grovenor
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

On 27/07/2020 at 21:47, Butler Henderson said:

Coaches & Wagons = Parkside

Buildings = Wills

Signals = Ratio 

?

The larger building kits in the Wills and Ratio ranges differ, Wills having the Craftsman (more of a scratch aid) where as the Ratio being kits in the normal style where no cutting out is required

Don't forget a fourth brand of kits namely Peco with buildings etc

• Agree 1