Checkrails on crossovers

ikcdab

• RMweb Gold

I have seen pictures of crossovers where the wing rails of one turnout are extended to provide checkrails through the crossover.

I assume this is dependent on the angle of the vee and the type of switch.

If so, what were the criteria when the extended checkrails were provided?

• RMweb Gold

They are called "parallel-wing crossings" (because there is no flare angle on the wing rail). Special crossing chairs are made for them.

They are quite common on curved crossovers where there is adverse cant -- i.e. where the two curved running lines are independently canted (superelevated), which means there is a twist in the track crossing between them.

Not often seen in straight crossovers, except as a "fix" in situations causing frequent derailments.

One question to which I have never found an answer, is where to put the twist in the rail? Wing rails are inclined at 1:20 towards the vee, check rails are always vertical. So to join the one to the other there must be a twist in the rail somewhere (as there is in the vee rails behind the splice).

cheers,

Martin.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

thank you both for your replies. I have a crossover comprised of 2 x C10 turnouts on a 25m radius, no super-elevation, so i will leave as standard wing/check rails.

• 2 weeks later...