Afternoon all,

I thought that our group may be of interest to those who contribute to this part of the forum; We're seeking to preserve, convert to self-powered operation, and operate one of the Class 483 units currently in service on SWR's Island Line. We are working with the Epping Ongar Railway to provide a place for a preserved unit to operate in an appropriate environment. This will help to celebrate the EOR's tube heritage as well as that of the units themselves and provide exciting new opportunities for both organisations.

We are not currently taking donations, nor are we taking on new members, and will not be doing so until we are sure that we will be able to acquire a unit. Our request is currently resting with South Western Railway and we hope to be able to provide more news over the coming weeks and months. If you are interested in joining as a member once this option is opened, please feel free to contact me and I will be in touch when membership is available.

For more information, please visit our website; http://www.lttractiongroup.co.uk/

I also came here with a question regarding car numbers - Would anyone around here be able to direct me to a source which gives the LT car numbers for those cars transferred to the Isle of Wight? I believe, from the numbers I've been told, that the remaining serviceable units were all from the LNER-Owned batch supplied for the Northern and Central extensions under the N.W.P. but it would be good to be able to confirm this via a more reliable source.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, lttractiongroup said:

I also came here with a question regarding car numbers - Would anyone around here be able to direct me to a source which gives the LT car numbers for those cars transferred to the Isle of Wight? I believe, from the numbers I've been told, that the remaining serviceable units were all from the LNER-Owned batch supplied for the Northern and Central extensions under the N.W.P. but it would be good to be able to confirm this via a more reliable source.

Tube Trains on the Isle of Wight by Brian Hardy, published by Capital Transport.  Page 91 Appendicies - 1938 Tube Stock, has the information that you need.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, lttractiongroup said:

Thanks - I'll order myself a copy tomorrow then.

You might wish to check your message folder as I've sent you a message.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Just for info, from the Wayback Machine snapshot of the last Abrail Database (w/e 01/12/18):

https://web.archive.org/web/20190121175120/https://abrail.co.uk/emurev.htm

UNIT             DMSO           DMSO

483002        122 (10221)   224 (11142)         

483004        124 (10205)   225 (11205)         

483006        126 (10297)   226 (11297)         

483007        127 (10291)   227 (11291)         

483008        128 (10255)   228 (11255) 

483009        129 (10289)   229 (11229)

Unfortunately, earlier pages where all units were listed do not list the individual car numbers.

Units are covered in the Wiki page: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_483

• Thanks 1

This will be epic if it happens. Was talking to a friend of mind and said to him it would be nice if one was preserved and a generator set fitted in on end of a car to enable working on preserved railways.

that or a battery package from vivarail perhaps.

will be an interesting project.

• Thanks 1

What you suggested to your friend is very much akin to what we are intending to do. We are pursuing the battery option and are in touch with a potential supplier of this equipment, which would be fitted in the leading seating bay of the 'D' end car.

It will, indeed, be an interesting project!

• 3 months later...

With class 483 withdrawals a little over a month away, the London Transport Traction Group are delighted to announce that this evening we were officially informed by South Western Railway that we have successfully secured a Class 483 unit for preservation. A representative from South Western Railway told us;

"I can confirm that you will have a unit for preservation. I can’t confirm which unit yet as the preservation committee have not given me a final answer but it is highly likely to be 483006 and if it is not then it will be 483008 (both of which are currently operational and in service).

In terms of timing – I expect we will be in a position to release the unit for collection around the end of the line closure in March."

This is truly wonderful news, but also represents only the first step in our journey that we hope will soon see a class 483 unit, cosmetically restored to London Transport condition, running on the Epping Ongar Railway under its own power and visiting galas around the country, taking a tube train where none has ever gone before and introducing the joy of the '38 stock to new audiences.

To do this we require your help. Our pledge scheme has been very successful, but we still require support. Earlier this week we opened up membership and donation options, which may be found on our website - www.lttractiongroup.co.uk

Although these are difficult times for many, we would greatly appreciate any assistance that you may be able to offer to our exciting and innovative project that has the potential to lead the way in electric railway preservation.

If you have any queries, please feel free to contact me by email; lttgsecretary@gmail.com

• Like 2